Need help with odd vintage Gibson ES-335

tomh8

Reaction score
Seller is claiming this guitar had a new neck put on it in 1968 (hes not the original owner though) and he thinks the guitar is a 1964. Now, the problem is the serial number on the sticker (31908) seems to date to 1961 and the serial number on the neck (23198) also dates to 1961, but is a different serial (also the neck has dots). I could tell the neck has obviously been at least reset. The guitar has 1 PAF and one PAT # humbucker which I believe also could fit for 1961. Also, if it was sent back to Gibson in '68 for a new neck, wouldn't they just stick a '68 neck on it?

So I was kind of hoping it could be the original neck that was just reset in 1968? Would Gibson stamp the neck with a different serial if they did that? Could a 60's Gibson have a different serial on the neck and sticker? I can attach some pictures.

moreles

Reaction score
What makes you think Gibson did the neck work? Might someone else have re-necked it with a recycled neck? The way the parts match up loos a little clumsy in the pic; the heel is not symmetrical. Good luck getting an answer. There are some real experts in this Forum.

bblooz

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of fuzzy area there, so buyer be very wary. May be a great axe, but price should be waaaay down to reflect the questionable provenance! Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

tomh8

Reaction score
Update: I realized I read the serial number wrong. The one on the sticker is 31908. The one on the neck is 231908. Is that how Gibson labeled factory 2nds back then? Or perhaps could whoever put the neck back on ad a "2"? Could this neck just be a modern one with that serial number added. Price is easily 1/3 or less the price of what this would be if the neck were original and not reset. Here are more pics:
16.jpg17.jpg20.jpg19.jpg

tomh8

Reaction score
What makes you think Gibson did the neck work? Might someone else have re-necked it with a recycled neck? The way the parts match up loos a little clumsy in the pic; the heel is not symmetrical. Good luck getting an answer. There are some real experts in this Forum.
Thanks, I was just saying Gibson possibly because the seller stated Gibson did it, but it certainly could have been anybody. I updated the story a bit above.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
Doesn't look like a pro reset to me. I think I can see where the screwdriver was jammed in.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Having seen a few Gibson-modified/repaired Gibsons over the decades, I would expect it to be refinished so the neck & body were the same shade of red were it factory work.

ARandall

Reaction score
But the neck wood and the body are different. So you often get difference with the two when sprayed with the same mix anyhow.
And trying to match colour is is almost a black magic art. Its odds on you'll not get it right even with the best at the helm.......and then get clear aging in there and anything is possible.

Sharky

Reaction score
what's the nut width of that guitar? 61 should have 1 11/16" and 68 1 9/16"

bblooz

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
To me it would need to be 1/3 of, not 1/3 less.
That's likely. I usually figure ~ 40% off for a solid head stock repair (and there's usually no question about the provenance there!). these kind of questions relegate this baby to "vintage player" status IMHO.