Need help with new noise gate

Sin Nombre

Reaction score
I have noisy house wiring and use single coils. I have been using the noise gate function on a Zoom multi-effects pedal which worked well enough for my needs but the pedal has died. I just bought a new EH Silencer from Sweetwater for $57 but it does not seem to work properly.

If I turn up the threshold enough to silence the ambient hum and then play a note softly or even normally on the high e the note will not be heard for about a second. If I turn the threshold down enough to guarantee a note will play when I pick a string, the hum will not be silenced for between 3 and 10 seconds depending on the threshold setting. This did not occur with the Zoom pedal.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a defective pedal, or is this EH offering a bad product? The reviews for it were mostly good.

grayd8

Reaction score
Have you tried a line conditioner? I bought a belkin surge protector a few years back that had a built in line conditioner. My last house had terrible line noise, my new house is dead quiet, but I still use it because of the 1.2 million lightning strikes Florida gets per year.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Have you tried a line conditioner? I bought a belkin surge protector a few years back that had a built in line conditioner. My last house had terrible line noise, my new house is dead quiet, but I still use it because of the 1.2 million lightning strikes Florida gets per year.
+1. I was also going to mention lining the pup cavities with copper foil. I did this with my rebuilt Yamaha Pacifica (aka. 'Turdcaster') and it's a remarkably quiet guitar.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
HumdeBugger!

I have heard of these but haven't used one. Could be a better answer for you than just a noise gate.

This thing targets just the AC hum, not the whole signal like a gate.... Might be worth a shot!

Barnaby

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I've found that noise gate pedals aren't universal fix-its. Sometimes, they work well, but other times they don't. It seems to depend on what is causing the hum. I've got an MXR somewhere that is great in some setups and useless in others. Probably a very similar circuit to the EHX. The Zoom one probably worked on a different principle.

The best one I've used so far is the ISP Decimator II, but even that is sometimes squirrelly in much the way you describe.

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
TC Electronics Sentry have a FX loop, and is probably the most effective pedal noise suppressor available.
I haven't tried on, but it's on my short list :)

That Pedal Shows demo:

Last edited:

Mookakian

Reaction score
Gates are mainly used in high gain settings or noisy pedals, not so much to control 60hZ hum from dirty power and single coils.

Try turning off all appliences in your house at the wall bar your fridge and freezer, use shielded wiring in your harness or shield the cavities (correctly by using a jumper wire to the back of your pot and any unconnected cavities) and also upgrade the harness if its a cheapo, good pots and hardware under the hood let more of the guitars natural highs through allowing you to turn down the amps treble which in turn reduces floor noise.

Other than that you will need to get a power conditioner and the good ones arent cheap, worth it though, especially if you play at a venue with shitty power and fluro lights

Liquid State

Reaction score
Hi,
I can't help with the EH Silencer, but I also live in a noisy house and have used the MXR Smart Gate with really good results. I have one on my main board and another right before the chorus and delay on my Rockman rack set-up.

I have searched for the source of noise in my house for years. I have read all forums, tried Hum X, ground lifts, removed all the dimmers, meticulously copper foiled the guts of my single coil guitars, etc, etc, etc. Here is what I found that no one seems to consider. The interference is not coming from the house! I have a micro cube amp (battery powered), I plugged my guitar into it, turned off the house main circuit breaker, then carried it around the entire house and found multiple hot spots. I could literally walk through many spots (down a hallway, the middle of the garage, out on the deck, in the middle of my F-in music room, upstairs and downstairs, etc ) that generate a ton of static noise, and then find other spots that were dead quiet. This is with 0 power on in the house.
My theory - I live on a hill about a mile from radio/tv/microwave/cell towers that are at the top. I think I am being hit with external electronic radiation form these sources.

anyway - I tried several gates: ISP, Rocktron, and the MXR Smart. I found the MXR the most tweakable and usable to cut the noise and not loose sustain and tone. YMMV

good luck

Sin Nombre

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. After two weeks of no replies I assumed no one was going to reply.

The Tele forum responded with similar replies as here. I decided I would find the slight but permanent hum that line hum eliminators have would be annoying so I exchanged the Silencer for the Boss NS-2 that the Tele folks highly recommended if one wants a gate.
It performs way better than the Silencer and does what I was wanting from a noise gate.

Latest Threads