Need help with issues on new Silver Jubilee

MusiquedeReve

Reaction score
I just purchased a Silver Jubilee 2555x 100W last week and it arrived a couple of days ago and now that it is the weekend, I finally plugged into it (I plugged the guitar straight in to test it out first without going through my pedalboard)

I am running it into a Dr. Z CAZ-45 cabinet rated at 120W and 8Ω with the Silver Jubilee rocker switch set to High Output (but I have tried as well on Low Output)

In order to get any volume at all I have to turn the Master volume about halfway when using the rhythm channel and, on the lead channel, I have to turn the Lead Master to 10 with the Master halfway to get any usable volume -- and even then, it sounds very thin

My Roland JC-22 puts out more volume than this

Anyone else experience this?

ARandall

Reaction score
Check guitar and cord first on another amp.
If its still an issue then you'll need to talk to the retailer.

MusiquedeReve

Reaction score
Check guitar and cord first on another amp.
If its still an issue then you'll need to talk to the retailer.

OK well, I left the amp on standby during the time it took me to post this and call Sweetwater tech support and, naturally, everything worked just fine -- perhaps, since it was the first time I was turning the amp on, the tubes needed some time to warm up

But, it is working properly now

cmjohnson

Reaction score
More likely the amp's tubes are a bit crusty, the tube pins and the sockets are a little bit dirty/tarnished/corroded, and the tubes need to be taken out, contact cleaner applied to the pins and the sockets, and reinstalled. Contact cleaner should also be used on all jacks, switches, and controls.

This cures many gremlins.

Recommended product for this cleaning: Deoxit D5.

Last edited:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're interested.... JoeB posted his settings for the current tour.

51208.jpg

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You may have a tube starting to fail, or a bad connection somewhere. If you can swap some preamp tubes around I might do that, just to see if you can duplicate the problem. You can also tap the tubes to see if you notice anything odd--I recommend searching up a video so that you know what you're listening for.

MusiquedeReve

Reaction score
More likely the amp's tubes are a bit crusty, the tube pins and the sockets are a little bit dirty/tarnished/corroded, and the tubes need to be taken out, contact cleaner applied to the pins and the sockets, and reinstalled. Contact cleaner should also be used on all jacks, switches, and controls.

This cures many gremlins.

Recommended product for this cleaning: Deoxit D5.

If you're interested.... JoeB posted his settings for the current tour.

View attachment 652089

You may have a tube starting to fail, or a bad connection somewhere. If you can swap some preamp tubes around I might do that, just to see if you can duplicate the problem. You can also tap the tubes to see if you notice anything odd--I recommend searching up a video so that you know what you're listening for.

Thanks - the amp is brand new so hopefully does not have crusty tubes but, I will do a run through of them tomorrow and see what I can shake out - I think I have been working with amp sims so long I need to re-learn how to work with a real amp

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You'd be surprised at how often brand new things have something minor broken. If it's really and truly brand new (not even played in a store by potential customers) there's an even greater chance of something like a bad tube or bad connection somewhere. Most consumer electronics are given only the shortest of tests at the factory and that's it.

Often something gets jostled in shipping, or a part used in manufacturing came from the supplier with an issue, but it takes some hours of use before the problem shows up. So for an amp being demoed in the store, the problem would come up in the store and be fixed and you'd never know about it. If you got it straight from a dealer who got it straight from Marshall, there's a good chance that something minor like a bad tube is going on.

They should cover the repairs, obviously.

Last edited:

funkyguitarman

Reaction score
You'd be surprised at how often brand new things have something minor broken. If it's really and truly brand new (not even played in a store by potential customers) there's an even greater chance of something like a bad tube or bad connection somewhere. Most consumer electronics are given only the shortest of tests at the factory and that's it.

Often something gets jostled in shipping, or a part used in manufacturing came from the supplier with an issue, but it takes some hours of use before the problem shows up. So for an amp being demoed in the store, the problem would come up in the store and be fixed and you'd never know about it. If you got it straight from a dealer who got it straight from Marshall, there's a good chance that something minor like a bad tube is going on.

They should cover the repairs, obviously.
This is exactly what happened when I bought my 2555X two years ago. I bought the amp brand new from a store and arrived factory sealed. Within four months, the tubes failed. The amp was serviced at a notable Boston shop under warranty. They informed me that it was due to a bad set of tubes, which they said was common. Unfortunately, I had similar issues only a couple months after that warranty work but decided to take it to a different shop. The second shop informed me that whoever worked on the amp last did insufficient work regarding bias, hence the issues. Thankfully, I have been issue free since that last shop over a year and a half ago. I gig with the matching horizontal 2X12 about three to four times a month and fire it up a couple of times a week at home. I always smile when I play the Jubilee, it’s a great amp that offers exactly what I’m after. Play it in good health.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe is doing the Marshall thing again???
From the latest rig rundowns, it looks like he's still using the Twins and the Dumble.
Doesn't seem that he's "gone back" to the days of BCC... just adding more options, switching amps from the pedalboard.

Latest Threads