Need help with a Les Paul Custom

LPMarshall Hack

Reaction score
87 should give you the last of the Tim Shaw pickups.....with no ink stamp on the bottom. 88 and 89 is the Bill Lawrence humbuckers, and from then on the 490's were used.

Any idea why they used Bill Lawrences those two years? Anyone like them?

Veeing Fly

Reaction score
My 89 also came with Bill Lawrences. I thought it was a mod, but "The Net" tells me they were stock that year. Are these desireable pickups? I replaced my bridge with an Angus Young, but I kept the neck.

I bought mine used, with the original BL pickups still in. I replaced them with a 498/490 set. The BL's don't seem to be highly coveted.

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Reaction score
I don't believe there were many Shaw around, in '87. Bit too late, I believe. I hadn't thought of the Bill Lawrence. My bad.

Never played any, so I can't comment.

craigeymac

Reaction score
As others have stated it looks good. Looks 100% to me. I own a 1987 in white, no CS serial, no certificate of authenticity. I could tell just by the headstock and serial that it was exactly the same as mine, obviously the serial is different tho lol

StingyCH

The Bearded guy from Heidi land..
Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the help and reassurance :thumb:

Tomorrow i'll go check the guitar and..who know..maybe she will come home with me (still finger crossed). I had a phone talk with the owner and he said that even the frets etc are ok..in case i have a very skilled luthier with me.. 4 eyes are better than 2 :D and i can't say "thank you" enough to ya'll for the help..as i said in the first post, there were things that i didn't know about those era Lesters, even considering the fact that i used to own one :laugh2:

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the help and reassurance :thumb:

Tomorrow i'll go check the guitar and..who know..maybe she will come home with me (still finger crossed). I had a phone talk with the owner and he said that even the frets etc are ok..in case i have a very skilled luthier with me.. 4 eyes are better than 2 :D and i can't say "thank you" enough to ya'll for the help..as i said in the first post, there were things that i didn't know about those era Lesters, even considering the fact that i used to own one :laugh2:

We call it 'Old Timer's Disease!"

It's a play on words. Sounds like Alzheimer's disease.

StingyCH

Reaction score
We call it 'Old Timer's Disease!"

It's a play on words. Sounds like Alzheimer's disease.
...and i'm only 41..just imagine in 10 years from now...:laugh2:

btw...i anticipated the meeting..we can now call this topic: N.O.G.D :slash:

Here she is..at home!

Attachments

• IMG_2789.jpg
    IMG_2789.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2790.jpg
    IMG_2790.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2792.jpg
    IMG_2792.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2794.jpg
    IMG_2794.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2797.jpg
    IMG_2797.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 13

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Reaction score
Congrats!

Man, when I finally got my BB... I just felt complete. Yeah there's still guitars I want, ones I'll buy.

But, I don't feel the pressure of buying something, and missing out the next day on a BB. I've already got it. :slash: :thumb:

Veeing Fly

Reaction score
The gold's in great shape for a 30 year old guitar. Congratulations!

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Reaction score
You...complete me.

Definitely!

Growing up, and over the years, there were 3 guitars I wished I had. I had sold one (my MIJ Ibanez Destroyer), to buy another ('71 Black Beauty from my uncle)... and lost out on both guitars. He had sold the BB to a pawn shop for $150.

Then I got my Kramer. It kind of scratched an itch, but could not keep me motivated to play, so it became a case queen. Until I started buying Les Pauls. Now she's a nice compliment to them.

Grabbed a $900 Destroyer for $400... and I was 2/3 the way there. Finally got my Black Beauty, end of last year.

Was playing my BB, both the Ibanez and Kramer hanging on the wall, in front of me... and I literally felt a sense of completion. Its been there, ever since. Feels good.

I've been looking at guitars different, ever since. There's ones I want, I might buy... but it is SO easy to walk away from them now. The Angus Young SG I bought, sat for at least 2 months, before I pulled the trigger. Saves me a lot of money waiting, that's for sure.

StingyCH

Reaction score
I've been looking at guitars different, ever since.

Up since 4 months ago i was like "..a Les Paul is enough"..but, beside the differences between the LPs models i own, i had to buy a Strat :D
there's something very inspiring when using a completely different instrument...dealing with tones you can't get from your main guitar, a different "feel" etc

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Reaction score
Up since 4 months ago i was like "..a Les Paul is enough"..but, beside the differences between the LPs models i own, i had to buy a Strat :D
there's something very inspiring when using a completely different instrument...dealing with tones you can't get from your main guitar, a different "feel" etc

I think things would have been a lot different, had I got that '71 Black Beauty, all those years ago. This was 1982, or 83. So it was still only 11-12 years old. But, that guitar spoke to me. I had begged my dad to buy it for me, and I'd pay him back. He said no. So, I had to trek back to California, sell my prized Destroyer, with the promise my uncle would hang onto it.

Came back 6 months later, money in hand (I was going to give them $300) and they'd let it go, to a Pawn Shop. Bought a crappy Ibanez strat-style, with the worst whammy ever. That eventually turned into my Kramer, which I couldn't play like Eddie... and it pissed me off. Got frustrated. It was my only guitar, besides a crap electric/acoustic.

I know the LP would have inspired me to play. I felt it back then, and felt it 30 years later, when I picked up another Les Paul. Been an interesting, and fun journey since.

I like other guitars. I still play the Kramer, and the Ibanez. But, having a room of Les Pauls...

Well, I hope my possible future wife, likes guitars. Because she won't want to ask me to choose. :hmm:

Latest Threads