Need help understanding the allure of PRS guitars

Cedarburger

Reaction score
I am asking about PRS SE series. I am looking at 2 of them primarily because I seem to be fighting the neck on my Epi Standard Pro. This guitar would likely replace it.

I am looking at a SE 245 Standard and an SE "Singlecut".

The SE245 (2018ish?) has the intonatable bridge and bird inlays and is a private party sale. The SE Singlecut has dots and wraparound tailpiece (2010ish?) and is a pawn shop deal.

It seems that online there is a whole lotta love for PRS guitars. The price is right, but I have never played one. Before I go look at them, I would just like to understand which one might be preferred, and why.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

circusinthesky

Reaction score
I have the SE SVN (seven string guitar). I realize that's not one of your listed options. I just wanted to mention that its a VERY easy to play guitar, and I can easily see the reason for all the PRS appreciation. Its very well made. Sounds great in all positions, including the split HB option. The fit and finish is top-notch. Lightyears ahead of, for example, the sub-$1,000 Gibsons. I think about buying one of the single-cut guitars often.

dmac in SC

Reaction score
I have never owned a high end PRS, but I do have the SE HB II. Even having been built in China, it arrived in nearly perfect condition...craftsmanship, intonation and playability out of the box was as good as any guitar I've ever owned. The guitar itself is absolutely beautiful..remarkable

The youtube demos of this thing painted it as absolute sparkle, but that is not what I have found. I did have to adjust the pickups to reach best tone, and even after that , it is a bit dark...but that can be mostly corrected by turning a few knobs. . Overall, I really like the guitar, but don't like the birds all that much.

jvin248

Reaction score

I have more than one PRS. They are a good option.

Biggest thing to know: 22 frets is LP tones and 24 frets are SG tones due to pickup placements, and that's the source of many comments, 'I got this 24 and it doesn't sound like my LP'.

'dark' is a common thing too, on the older SEs, except for the players who like 'warm' ... fix is lower the pickups and raise the screw poles, at least for the neck pickup. If still too mch then a series cap on the hot lead. Same with any Gibson or Seymour Duncan pickups that people find too dark.

The 245 has the four control layout and a thicker body.

Some players swap in Gibson pickups and Gibson pots and caps to get their Gibson tone needs satisfied. Make sure to include all those parts if doing that as pots 'n caps are the other key part of the system.

If you can only choose one, I'd go for the 22 as I use master vol and tone. But if you are chasing a Gibson substitute then get the 245.

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
i bought this 2005 SE Custom 22 a few years back just to see myself what all the talk was about...

must admit for the money this one was pretty nice, the tremolo on this is perfect compared to the strats i have, i thought about stripping this one out and keeping the tremolo.

the neck is a fat thick solid feelng gibson like ....the knock is usually the pickups but depends what your playing thru and what your fingers are capable of really...lol

here is a pic...it needs to end up i the classifieds at some point.....i can be tempted to do it soon

price point is attractive on these, you can pick them up at a reasonable number for the SE...which again, for the money they are good guitars

go play the ones you mentioned and see if it fits, i was amazed how good they actually are for PRS lower end product.

i have never played their upper end products so i cant compare....but those prices seem a bit high for some fancy inlays and flamed tops but i cant say as never touched one to see how they play...

prscustom.jpg

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
go play em...i like the second one with the stoptail bridge

what price for that one?

BadPenguin

Reaction score
I bought an SE Santana with the thoughts of "I could learn to love this..." Well, never happened. The build quality was flawless, the tone was.... ok'ish, but I could never bond with that neck. I can't describe why I couldn't, but I ended up hating that guitar.
If you decide to buy one, make sure you can return it after 2 weeks.

Brek

Reaction score
What allure? Lol. I look at them hanging in the store. I always think they look really well put together, but they do nothing for me. Bought a Macarty once to try, took it back 3 days later.

zombywoof

Reaction score
I like the 245 myself. Previously owned as well.

An Edwards is close in price but a lot more guitar for the money!!!

Last edited:

zeneffect

Reaction score
People like plastic birds.

Whats your price range? I'm sure there are enough people on this forum that have enough stock to get you something excellent.

I've owned a semi hollow single cut from the s2 line, and it was like a piece of art. I never played it really after purchase and eventually sold it because if I were to scratch or chip it, I'd be pretty upset so it was a case queen.

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
The allure I feel is the craftsmanship and quality control even in the lower end models. I have a custom 22 from 1996. The guitar has the wrap around stoptail and it holds tune and intonates almost perfect. I have played a good many over the years but only mine for an extended period. I have not found but 1 model that gets close to a Les Paul tone and that is the David Grissom model. PRS are fine guitars but are not LP replacements IMHO.

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
I never played one that appealed to me until the SE Paul’s Guitar. I love this thing, very versatile and easy to play

mdittman

Reaction score
I've owned several PRS guitars from both the regular and SE line but I don't own them now and I don't miss them. I agree with the others that say they are well built right out of the box but for me they just seem to lack a personality, almost like an android guitar. They look well built and are nearly flawless but there's something that makes them not human. To be fair, I feel this way about Taylor guitars as well. On paper both of these brands should be great guitars but both just leave me cold. I've tried several of each thinking maybe the first one was just a dud but it was the same in each case. Plenty of other people seem to love them so I suggest you try each one and see if you like it but make sure before you buy or have a good return policy.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think the best way to judge a PRS is to NOT expect it to sound like 'anything else' before you play it.

If a Lester sounds like a Lester and a Skrat sounds like a Skrat and a Tele sounds like a Tele, then a PRS sounds like a PRS....

Not the same scale, ain't the same mass as a Lester, it just ain't gonna sound like a Lester.....

I've played several, liked the hell out of all of em, if wife wasn't with me and I had just bought a gold Skrat, I would have bought hell out of that Zach Trampass green SE... Didn't play or sound like any of my Lesters or anything else I have, but that does not mean bad... It's different....

They'Sky' sounds more like a Skrat though than some Skrats I've played... Hella guitar...

Never seen a bad PRS.... Impressive QC in my book... and they sound and play great.... I just can't justify buying one... Have too many guitars and basses now....

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've owned several PRS guitars from both the regular and SE line but I don't own them now and I don't miss them. I agree with the others that say they are well built right out of the box but for me they just seem to lack a personality, almost like an android guitar. They look well built and are nearly flawless but there's something that makes them not human. To be fair, I feel this way about Taylor guitars as well. On paper both of these brands should be great guitars but both just leave me cold. I've tried several of each thinking maybe the first one was just a dud but it was the same in each case. Plenty of other people seem to love them so I suggest you try each one and see if you like it but make sure before you buy or have a good return policy.
THIS. Spot on. I have owned and sold several,. Each time, this is how I felt about them. I'd also say they sounded clinical, but android is a great description. I keep thinking I should love the guitar, butalways the same result..

Latest Threads