Need help to verify this LP Classic please !

Adrian81

Reaction score
Hi my fellow Les Paul fans. I really need help from you guys to verify this Les Paul Classic Plus (at least the seller told me that this is LP classic from the 90s). Is this fake or not?

I want to buy this stuff but I am not so sure because from what I know LP Classics does not have covered humbuckers (the humbuckers is not covered by metal plate). I don't know...maybe I am wrong...

The serial number of this LP is 5 1092

Many of you have far more knowledge than me about Les Pauls. That's why I am asking help from you guys to give opinion about this stuff. I attached some of the pictures here.

I don't want to spend my money for fake Les Paul.

I am really clueless guys...I really need your help. Thank you very much !

Attachments

• les paul classic1.jpg
    les paul classic1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 42
  • les paul classic2.jpg
    les paul classic2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 45

TheDevice

Reaction score
Looks like a classic to me, hard to tell without closeups of the headstock and inlays. People very often add the chrome covers to the ceramic pickups that come with it or change the pickups altogether to ones that have the covers. Looks like it would be a Les Paul Classic Plus judging from the top.

Few of key things it should have:

60's Slim neck profile
Blood testers (rounded metal pointers under the the volume and tone knobs)
Most likely will say "Classic" under the "Les Paul" script on the headstock
Truss rod cover will have two screws and might say "Classic"
Yellowish/green neck inlays (that are universally hated BTW)

Good luck, it looks nice!

geezberry

Reaction score
in the pics the finish looks faded. he might have sanded the top or something cause those classics are gloss.

Adrian81

Reaction score
Looks like a classic to me, hard to tell without closeups of the headstock and inlays. People very often add the chrome covers to the ceramic pickups that come with it or change the pickups altogether to ones that have the covers. Looks like it would be a Les Paul Classic Plus judging from the top.

Few of key things it should have:

60's Slim neck profile
Blood testers (rounded metal pointers under the the volume and tone knobs)
Most likely will say "Classic" under the "Les Paul" script on the headstock
Truss rod cover will have two screws and might say "Classic"
Yellowish/green neck inlays (that are universally hated BTW)

Good luck, it looks nice!

Hi, thank you very much for the information...I am really looking for Honeyburst LP currently...and this one has caught my attention... :)

Adrian81

Reaction score
in the pics the finish looks faded. he might have sanded the top or something cause those classics are gloss.

Thank you very much for the reply...wow... I have to be careful then...hmmm...

geezberry

Reaction score
Looks like a classic he moddified to look like a historic. Chrome covers, worn finish etc. Still a good axe if the frets are good and plays well.

TheDevice

Reaction score
Yeah the finish on my Classic looks the same just from having played it rarely for 11 years, which is cool in my book.

Adrian81

Reaction score
Looks like a classic he moddified to look like a historic. Chrome covers, worn finish etc. Still a good axe if the frets are good and plays well.

The seller doesn't have the manual or inspection card anymore...and he said he doesn't have the original hardcase anymore too. :)

Is it normal to buy used and old Les Paul without original hardcase, manual and inspection card ? This is the first time I will buy a used Les Paul. My first LP is a new one (a Trad Goldtop)

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
You got some more pictures?
I have no doubt, this is a real Gibson Les Paul. Probably a Classic but cant be sure. Before reading the comments, I too wondered about the finish looking like the newer faded finish.
Perhaps it has been played / cleaned a lot. Or it has been slightly sanded. Or its one of the newer faded series.

What is the asking price?

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
How older the Les Paul, the bigger the chance the original stuff is no longer there. I dont care about certificates or hangtags. Original case is a plus but not a requirement.
I would say its more likely to find a used les paul wihtout all the case candy.

Adrian81

Reaction score
You got some more pictures?
I have no doubt, this is a real Gibson Les Paul. Probably a Classic but cant be sure. Before reading the comments, I too wondered about the finish looking like the newer faded finish.
Perhaps it has been played / cleaned a lot. Or it has been slightly sanded. Or its one of the newer faded series.

What is the asking price?

Hi, thank you for the reply :). Unfortunately I don't have other pictures. The asking price is US$1800. I don't know if it's too expensive or not...but it's still on my budget. I am dreaming of LP with Honeyburst finish that's why I could not stop thinking about this...poor me...hahaha..

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Sounds a little bit steep. We would need more info on replaced parts etc. I think there are better deals out there.

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi, thank you for the reply :). Unfortunately I don't have other pictures. The asking price is US$1800. I don't know if it's too expensive or not...but it's still on my budget. I am dreaming of LP with Honeyburst finish that's why I could not stop thinking about this...poor me...hahaha..

keep looking and you will find a better deal!!!!!!

Adrian81

Reaction score
keep looking and you will find a better deal!!!!!!

Hi, thanks for the reply.:) I will try to negotiate the price with the seller ...It's an asking price by the way..If he doesn't want to negotiate I will try to find another deal....

Actually how much does LP classic from the 90's cost currently in the market ?

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the reply.:) I will try to negotiate the price with the seller ...It's an asking price by the way..If he doesn't want to negotiate I will try to find another deal....

Actually how much does LP classic from the 90's cost currently in the market ?

$1200 to $1400 and not having the Gibson case will take $70 to $100 of the price
I sold a 98 Classic last year on Ebay for $1380, it was in excellent condition! with no issues!

Adrian81

Reaction score
$1200 to $1400 and not having the Gibson case will take $70 to $100 of the price
I sold a 98 Classic last year on Ebay for $1380, it was in excellent condition! with no issues!

Wow...the stuff is much too expensive then...I just checked Ebay...and you are right.. it falls within the range that you told me...

Latest Threads