Need help sourcing allen screws for a Tone Pros tune o matic!

Goodcleanfun

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some help with this one.

So the Edwards I bought came with a Tone Pros tune o matic, it's a nickel T3BT.

Thing it, it doesn't have the allen screws in the thing that you tighten with the allen key (which luckily I have from another Tone Pros installation) to lock it in place, so it isn't actually a locking bridge, and right now it's only held in with string tension. I contacted the seller, he doesn't have them and they're not in the case.

I contacted Tone Pros about a week ago, no response and I really don't want to buy another $70 bridge for 2 tiny ass screws.

Any ideas where I can get 2 replacement screws? Home Depot? Radio Shack? Anywhere? Does anyone have some spare for any reason?

All help gratefully appreciated! When I get them I can finally lock the system in place and hey, maybe I'll stay in tune for a whole song!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Find a spare Strat saddle screw, same thread pitch. Best if you can find one of the short ones, otherwise they stick out a bit far, but even the long ones work.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
Try Home Depot or a better place would be Ace. They carry a lot of things that HD and Lowes does not. Also try a machinist or Grainger for that matter. Or you can check on Ebay. I have found all sorts of odd parts there. Also if there is a used shop or even better a repair shop around you hit them up they almost always have spare shit.

spowell71

Reaction score
I bought a demo ESP LTD EC-1000 AMBER SUNBURST (which comes with TonePros locking Tune-o-matic bridge & tailpiece in nickel – same model as on the LP) from Guitar Center and when I changed the strings for the first time I noticed that the locking screws were missing because the tailpiece fell off & hit the guitar body and then I noticed that the bridge locking screw was also missing. I contacted TonePros and they would not even respond. I contact GC and they said not their problem and kicked me to ESP. At this point, I thought there was no way ESP would be helpful so I set out to do my own research. First, none of the online guitar parts stores were a helpful. Then I came across this thread and got the idea to look at Fender Saddle Bridge Height Screws.

There are 3 different screw thread sizes and many more different lengths ( http://www.stratcat.biz/hardware-screws-saddle-height.shtml ). Fortunately, I have all the different Fender strat models in my collection that covered all the screw thread sizes and so I had all screws needed for testing. Basically the thread size needed for TonePros (at least for the current ones being sold) is metric M3 which comes with the Fender Mexican strats. The smallest screw length for these Fender Mexican strats is M3 6MM. The M3 6MM (~15/64”) is the prefect length for the tailpiece but the bridge uses a smaller length screw (the 6MM will over hang by 2MM but given its position of the bridge screw hole on the guitar it’s would barely noticeable even by the player). The correct bridge locking screw length would be M3 4MM (~5/32”).

So you will not be able to get the small screw for the bridge in Fender Saddle Bridge Height Screw set but you can buy these screws from Ebay – they are generally known as Hex Socket Set Cap Point Grub Screws.

I wanted to update this thread to add to the knowledge base because this was a real pain for me and I figured there are others out there whom have to deal with this annoyance.

A side note, I was going to write the reply to thread slamming GC, TonePro, & ESP for bad customer service but just before writing I want to be fair to ESP and actually contact them. I could not believe when they replied to me quickly & professionally and sent me the replacement screws with no hassles @ no cost (although I already bought the screws from Ebay) & all under a week’s time – kudos to ESP for great customer service.

In reference to TonePros locking Tune-o-matic bridge & tailpiece, this is what I call hex locking screws:

spowell71

Reaction score
Oh forgot, the metric hex key wrench size for these screws is M1.5, a.k.a. 1.5mm.

Viejo

Reaction score
Email Brian at Marquis Distribution he'll get you some. I think he is the brother of one of the owners of Tone Pros.He has gotten me replacement saddles before.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
The screw being referred to is called a "set screw" or a "grub screw." Knowing that will likely make a search for one far easier.

There's a tool called a "thread checker" that comes in several forms. It will helps accurately determine the screw/thread size for any threaded screw, bolt, rod, nut, threaded hole, etc.

The other option is to just take the part to an Ace Hardware and sort though the bins of set screws until you find the size that properly fits.

KP11520

Reaction score
Contact Gil at TonePros. He is a gentleman and will certainly help!

I am a huge fan because he helped me with a TonePros bridge I bought used with no wheel bolts or bushings.

He might be on vacation. He is a one man shop. Hopefully, he'll catch up soon!

http://www.tonepros.com/contact-us/

spowell71

Reaction score
Additional clarification, I have the TonePros Metric Tuneomatic/Tailpiece set - model LPM02 (large posts/notched saddles), i.e. bridge T3BT & tailpiece T1Z. Visually identifiable by larger posts & phillips head saddle/intonation adjustment screws. Thus my originally posted info only pertains to this model.

I can't say whether TonePros Metric or TonePros Standard model determines
the hex locking screw size.

yamariv

Reaction score
I bought a demo ESP LTD EC-1000 AMBER SUNBURST (which comes with TonePros locking Tune-o-matic bridge & tailpiece in nickel – same model as on the LP) from Guitar Center and when I changed the strings for the first time I noticed that the locking screws were missing because the tailpiece fell off & hit the guitar body and then I noticed that the bridge locking screw was also missing. I contacted TonePros and they would not even respond. I contact GC and they said not their problem and kicked me to ESP. At this point, I thought there was no way ESP would be helpful so I set out to do my own research. First, none of the online guitar parts stores were a helpful. Then I came across this thread and got the idea to look at Fender Saddle Bridge Height Screws.

There are 3 different screw thread sizes and many more different lengths ( http://www.stratcat.biz/hardware-screws-saddle-height.shtml ). Fortunately, I have all the different Fender strat models in my collection that covered all the screw thread sizes and so I had all screws needed for testing. Basically the thread size needed for TonePros (at least for the current ones being sold) is metric M3 which comes with the Fender Mexican strats. The smallest screw length for these Fender Mexican strats is M3 6MM. The M3 6MM (~15/64”) is the prefect length for the tailpiece but the bridge uses a smaller length screw (the 6MM will over hang by 2MM but given its position of the bridge screw hole on the guitar it’s would barely noticeable even by the player). The correct bridge locking screw length would be M3 4MM (~5/32”).

So you will not be able to get the small screw for the bridge in Fender Saddle Bridge Height Screw set but you can buy these screws from Ebay – they are generally known as Hex Socket Set Cap Point Grub Screws.

I wanted to update this thread to add to the knowledge base because this was a real pain for me and I figured there are others out there whom have to deal with this annoyance.

A side note, I was going to write the reply to thread slamming GC, TonePro, & ESP for bad customer service but just before writing I want to be fair to ESP and actually contact them. I could not believe when they replied to me quickly & professionally and sent me the replacement screws with no hassles @ no cost (although I already bought the screws from Ebay) & all under a week’s time – kudos to ESP for great customer service.

In reference to TonePros locking Tune-o-matic bridge & tailpiece, this is what I call hex locking screws:
^^Like a BOSS^^ :applause: That's what makes this forum awesome!

tjnugent

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some help with this one.

So the Edwards I bought came with a Tone Pros tune o matic, it's a nickel T3BT.

Thing it, it doesn't have the allen screws in the thing that you tighten with the allen key (which luckily I have from another Tone Pros installation) to lock it in place, so it isn't actually a locking bridge, and right now it's only held in with string tension. I contacted the seller, he doesn't have them and they're not in the case.

I contacted Tone Pros about a week ago, no response and I really don't want to buy another $70 bridge for 2 tiny ass screws.

Any ideas where I can get 2 replacement screws? Home Depot? Radio Shack? Anywhere? Does anyone have some spare for any reason?

All help gratefully appreciated! When I get them I can finally lock the system in place and hey, maybe I'll stay in tune for a whole song!

Thanks!
I know this is a very old thread, but I found a solution to the problem and it is pretty crazy stupid. Fender import bridge adjustment Allen screws work just fine. They are a hair longer than the original, but not too long to use. Bingo, prolem solved..

tjnugent

Reaction score
I know this is a very old thread, but I found a solution to the problem and it is pretty crazy stupid. Fender import bridge adjustment Allen screws work just fine. They are a hair longer than the original, but not too long to use. Bingo, prolem solved..
One more thing. two weeks ago, I emailed the support email for tonepros and I haven't heard jack from them. Not a peep. How odd that they would not respond to a customer needing support. They should at least make these screws available through them. As it should be.