Need help removing these tuner bushings???

rbraad68

Reaction score
Hey guy's i need some advice getting these stock bushings out without tearing the finish around the tuners holes.. I took the stock tuners off the 59 last night getting it ready to install the new klusons i have coming. in the past i have torn the paint around the tuner hole removing these dammed bushings. usually not a big deal cause the replacment tuners had the hex bolt bushings and you will never see the damage!! Well this time around this is not the case. I even went with the klusons that have the push in bushings to assure a exact fit no mods no new holes... any advice would be great help..

thx guys.

Attachments

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had success just using blunt end of pencil to push them through, they can be real tight fitting, but so far never had an issue with finish coming away. Pushing from underneath should avoid any stress on the top part of the bushing. I can see pulling from the top would be a risky way to go about it. Also be careful not to stress the scarf joint.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I usually tap them out from the back just worry about the finish coming up with them. I have considered just keeping the stock bushings i guess that depends on the new tuners being the same inside diameter as the old tuners..

Roxy13

Reaction score
If they are the same diameter might as well leave them in instead of risking finish damage.

But, if you want to remove them you should first score around them all with an x-acto knife with a #1 blade. Do it several times to cut through all the poly nicely. After that it might help to heat the bushing with a soldering iron although I'm not sure how much that helps with poly. I've only removed them on a nitro finish.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Well i got to thinking about it and figured fuck it!! looks like the holes will accomadate the hex bolt bushings so.. i went to looking on Ebay and found a bran new set of the locking Kluson's with the hex bolt bushings in chrome/nickel for 68 bucks!! that's over half off on these suckers! i paid 102 bucks for the ones coming monday in gold with the push in bushings so deff a great deal on those i just found, seller had 3 sets i got one of them...

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well i got to thinking about it and figured fuck it!! looks like the holes will accomadate the hex bolt bushings so.. i went to looking on Ebay and found a bran new set of the locking Kluson's with the hex bolt bushings in chrome/nickel for 68 bucks!! that's over half off on these suckers! i paid 102 bucks for the ones coming monday in gold with the push in bushings so deff a great deal on those i just found, seller had 3 sets i got one of them...

Two things:

1.) Why are you changing the tuners?

2.) I don’t think those are going to fit.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I put locking tuners on all my guitars it makes it easier for my old blind ass to change the strings.. I don't man i'll try and get a picture of the back of the holes but it looks like they use an over sized bushing cause there is deff enough room to fit a 10 mm bushing.. I did one of those 149 dollar lp specials a while back for a friend and i only had to rheem the back of the hole and not all that much either... Anyways i think im going to leave the bushings in on this guitar as long as the tuners work with the bushing.....

rbraad68

Reaction score
You can see the back of the bushings they deff look over sized to me. there is plenty of hole going on there... The Kluson's I have coming today or tomarrow are the ones with the push in bushings so if the tuners will work with the bushing I will just leave the stock ones in.....

Attachments

fry

Reaction score
I took bushings off an Epiphone that was more than 20 years old. It did take a bite out of the finish on one of them, pretty bad. The fact that they were in there for so many years, and it had a gloss finish both contributed to the result. I really don’t think you’ll have any trouble like that on one of the new 1959 models. Just push them out from the back with a ball point pen or something, nice and easy. I do have to agree with somebody above, those new ones may not fit, the 1959 has the smaller holes with the more vintage style tuners.

musicmaniac

Reaction score

That's a good price. I've got a set on one of my Gibson's and couldn't be happier!

fry

Reaction score
Gotoh makes a set with the “Magnum Lock” design. It’s a self locking design, does not have the little knob on the back. They are a direct replacement for this guitar, and can routinely be found for right about $40. Worth every penny.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I took bushings off an Epiphone that was more than 20 years old. It did take a bite out of the finish on one of them, pretty bad. The fact that they were in there for so many years, and it had a gloss finish both contributed to the result. I really don’t think you’ll have any trouble like that on one of the new 1959 models. Just push them out from the back with a ball point pen or something, nice and easy. I do have to agree with somebody above, those new ones may not fit, the 1959 has the smaller holes with the more vintage style tuners.
i kept the stock bushings tuners bolted right on. done deal!! those epiphone deluxe tuners had the exact bushings the kluson shipped with YAY !!! the other klusons with the hex bolt bushings i founf last night will go on the lemon burst when it gets here.. evryone is happy ....

rbraad68

Reaction score
She really is a good looking guitar. I know some have said she has a plain top and thats ok with me she really does look good. I got the strings on and a basic set up. She has a really flat playing surface and the action feels low even though it not?? Hoope that makes sense :=) So in the rack with the other kids she goes!! I'm really glad i didn't send her back for another one. For the price i got her for I don't think i could of gotten a better one :=)

Attachments

Latest Threads