need help on this Les paul junior 59

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for hanging in there maicolp, I really did want this one to have a happy ending.

Can you do me a favour? If you own a multimeter that can measure resistance, plug a guitar lead in, turn the volume to full, and measure the resistance between the tip and ring of the other end of the guitar lead.

I am sure I will never do it, as I don't want to break the solder joints, but I would love to know what my '59 DC would sound like with a mid 50s P90 in it. You are incredibly lucky as you can go on to try stuff like that with zero guilt!

I think it looks fabulous, great job on the headstock, welcome to cheerful 50's Les Paul ownership. It does get easier...

Liam

Last edited:

maicolp

Reaction score
Pickup itself reads 8.25
At the end of the guitar lead (once soldered in place and with 10/10 pot) reads 8.05
I hope this helps
Thanks so much for hanging in there maicolp, I really did want this one to have a happy ending.

Can you do me a favour? If you own a multimeter that can measure resistance, plug a guitar lead in, turn the volume to full, and measure the resistance between the tip and ring of the other end of the guitar lead.
Pickup itself reads 8.25
At the end of the guitar lead (once soldered in place and with 10/10 pot) reads 8.05
I hope this helps

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It does help, and will help even more if you can post sound clips! ;) On the high side if it really is an earlier pickup as I thought. My mid 50s P90s all read 7.4k - 7.6k. Late 50s (late 57-59) 8.0k - 8.2k. I know everyone says they are just all over the place in resistance, and they just stopped the machines when the bobbin was full. I have seen little evidence of this in P90s. They seem to have been made to pretty consistent specifications.

yamariv

Reaction score
It does help, and will help even more if you can post sound clips! ;) On the high side if it really is an earlier pickup as I thought. My mid 50s P90s all read 7.4k - 7.6k. Late 50s (late 57-59) 8.0k - 8.2k. I know everyone says they are just all over the place in resistance, and they just stopped the machines when the bobbin was full. I have seen little evidence of this in P90s. They seem to have been made to pretty consistent specifications.
These are my findings as well. My 54 P90 reads really low at something like 7.25k..it's my favorite P90, super clear, articulate etc. OP's pickup has the flat head screws so that's got to be around 56 or earlier. James a Rewind has a post a while back about measuring the magnets to narrow down the dates

Latest Threads