need help on this Les paul junior 59

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A guy asked me to trade this Jr with his true historic cc46 kathtyn in mint conditions. What you guys think?
Don't do it.

I only ever owned one Historic, which was a great guitar after a neck reshape (massive and horrible originally), a load of changed parts, and some major work to make the fingerboard respond to the truss rod like the old ones do. It only ever got close at best. Oh and pickups, went through a few before it sounded anything like. Great guitars, some amazingly so I am told, but they are copies of 50's guitars.

And OK, my favourite 50's original Junior has had 2 refrets (needed it, 2nd one my fault, I thought a '55 would be better with big frets first time around, I now know better), a changed bridge, repair to a rattly truss rod, and a frozen volume pot that resulted in me breaking the pickup earth solder joint when putting a replacement in. And there is quite a bit more to the story.

But the main thing is: me and that '55 Junior are bonded at the hip. Looking at my 50's Juniors and Special, the only guitars I have a similar relationship with is the JV Squier Strat I have had from new in 1983, and one '59 Standard replica that is incredibly special to me. But long and short, 50's Juniors are outrageously good guitars, and while everyone has been trying to replicate the '59 Standard, no-one to my knowledge got remotely close to a good Junior, maybe because they are still relatively affordable.

If the guitar can speak to you, listen to it. It will become an amazing part of your musical journey. Don't expect it to be an easy trip on either part (I left my best guitar behind at a gig in Birmingham, and it was the less than observant singer that noticed, made me stop the car and turn back). When I think of some of the most beautiful musical moments of my life, there was an original LP Junior involved. If I could afford a blackguard Tele I am told they have a similar effect.

Enjoy the trip; it will be worth it.

Liam

Last edited:

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Actually, still have a second Historic thinking about it. 2009 '59 ES-335. Massive and horrible necks clearly a theme, along with less than perfect pickups (they were getting better, but not quite in the ballpark, and the covers were horrific). Not sure why I bought it, don't play it much. Find a '50s 335 that can be said about...

Great colour though, and i am sure a cracking guitar under it all...

Don't do it!

Liam

maicolp

Reaction score
pickup reads a nice 8.27
knobs are correct
tailpiece nuts are now legit
tuners are back, i say that because one tuner is slightly bent... exactly where the guitar has a scar (so they where there originally)

yamariv

Reaction score
Good to hear they got there! We need LOTS of pics after all this waiting! Did you put everything together and do the soldering yourself?

Like others have said, that P90 looks to be early 50's and should have the A3 magnet. I have a 54 P90 and I've got to say the early 50's sound super clear and articulate/full to me and not as hot as the later P90's and is probably my favorite of the 3 Vintage P90's I own.

maicolp

Reaction score
I’m “restoring” the headstock. Need advice. I’m trying to get back to an original look. Decals are actually correct but they spayed some laquer on it in late 70’a when headstock cracked
Nos or repro decals can be found?
so far I just dulled the face and have it check a bit

none2low

Reaction score
Congrats on getting everything back together. Headstock looks great IMO. I think you did a nice job of knocking just enough gloss off to have it blend with the rest of the guitar. I'm not sure there is much to be gained by redoing it. I say leave it as is and let it age naturally.

WayneLawKid

Reaction score
That's a sharp looking guitar! Hope you have come to peace with the transaction.

Leave the decals alone. Honestly, it doesn't really "draw the eye" too much. Just play the hell out of it.

yamariv

Reaction score
That badboy turned out to be a beauty OP!! So how does that pickup sound, is she now all that you hoped it would be? We need more details :cool: :naughty:

I would leave the headstock as it is personally, it looks good with the quick scuffing you did to it. I am a perfectionist and used to think that I had to fix any little thing on a guitar but in the last few years I really think that dents and touch ups are just the guitars story and what makes it unique.

When I first got my 60 Junior, the top tailpiece screw was all rusty and the bottom one near the volume knobs was shiny. My first thought was that I have to find an original screw to replace the rusty one. As I thought about it more, I changed my mind and thought of it the other way. That screw is rusty from the former owners sweaty hand rubbing the chrome off from playing the he loved for many years. Now when I look at the rusty screw, I wouldn't trade if for a shiny one if someone offered to pay me.. If I did that, I would be taking away the history of my 60 Junior.

I love the way yours looks, I wouldn't change a thing!

Last edited:

none2low

Reaction score
Btw - Is that dogear cover one you already had on hand? Because it's clearly not the same cover you previously posted about them sending.

maicolp

Reaction score
Btw - Is that dogear cover one you already had on hand? Because it's clearly not the same cover you previously posted about them sending.
is the old one... just a bit of "magic mojo" from myself

maicolp

Reaction score
guys i wanna thank you all again! (virtual hug) i was clearly downed at first but with your support and good criticism now i can say i'm pretty happy

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Awesome! You have a very fine 59! :applause:

But wait!!!!

Does it Rock??? :jam:

maicolp

Reaction score
she screams, i have to finetune intonation and some other minor things. but i love the way it sound hollow and complex

fernieite

Reaction score
Cool! I'm glad you have proper parts on it now and you're happy with the trade. Looks fantastic! :dude:

Latest Threads