need help on this Les paul junior 59

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Even if they were close, the history of this guitar and it's seller, and the BS parts and the non disclosure, make it very hard for me to believe they feel horrible about the situation, and shipped him an NOS vintage cover.

Ain't buying it.

maicolp

Reaction score
I’ve asked my guitar back
Waitin for response
7AB5BBC8-8AA8-48BE-B568-9AFA4F0EC400.jpeg
8B2B10EA-2D53-43B2-B32F-3C65A79017A7.jpeg

none2low

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, isn't that P90 more than likely from a semi-hollow or hollowbody. The clipped wings are usually a give away. Not that it matters all that much at this point, but makes for good discussion.

I'm also guessing the cover in question is not from the pickup pictured above either. :naughty:

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, isn't that P90 more than likely from a semi-hollow or hollowbody. The clipped wings are usually a give away. Not that it matters all that much at this point, but makes for good discussion.
Yes, and definitely earlier than '59 as no mould split line, so a fabricated bobbin? These are to me the best sounding P90s in general. I used to remember the history of these things in detail, but haven't looked into it for a while.

I'm also guessing the cover in question is not from the pickup pictured above either. :naughty:
Absolutely not, but those top hats look right and are seldom cheap. Tuners look right and are seldom much good (must have 4 sets bagged up in case I ever sell guitars that I will never sell), but late-ish as the pegs aren't crumbling away to nothing as my mid-50s ones all seemed to be (and still are). So they could be parts from the original guitar, but even if not, they'll look right.

Personally, I think it's reasonable to good in terms of trying to put things right. Next to impossible to place a value on the guitar you traded if you struggled to sell it. S&%$-kicking DC Junior with a headstock paint/silk screen issue and some period parts changed out? Cash value immaterial, I'd never sell it...

I still think that cover might be a real one, but you have to sniff them to know! (seriously)

Liam

none2low

Reaction score
I still think that cover might be a real one, but you have to sniff them to know! (seriously)
I personally like to put 'em in a ziploc bag, then leave them to bake in the sun. It really gets the full aroma going. :rofl:

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I personally like to put 'em in a ziploc bag, then leave them to bake in the sun. It really gets the full aroma going. :rofl:
I'll be honest, can't even remember without re-sniffing :eek2:, but CAB has a distinctive smell. So does Brazilian Rosewood.

none2low

Reaction score
I'm not ashamed to admit that I actually kinda like the smell. Same with old phenol circuit boards and bakelite.

Grew up around old electronics and it's one of those things that takes me back to being a kid.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree, a smell test can reveal a lot!

I get some funny looks when I pop open a control cavity and take a big sniff!

And pickups! love sniffing old pups!

Yea, I'm weird!

But the best is the smell of an old Black Face Fender amp!

Wish I could bottle that one!

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Can someone please share real p90
Cover pictures
Now rnr vintage is telling me that has doubt on my competence in vintage parts coz the cover is legit and appears that I know nothing about what I’m talking about

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If they are still using the same tooling, cavity 1 looks really lopsided compared to cavity 2. (Most recent share from sws1 is from a different mould cavity than the OP's picture of a cover). The pickup is a later one, as it's got an injection moulded bobbin, and I would guess early 60s as the shrinkage on the bobbin moulding is far worse than I remember any of mine having. The cover also looks like it's from a period where quality was not top of the agenda.

I feel some inspection of dogear P90 covers coming on this weekend...

Liam

yamariv

Reaction score
I thought you asked for your guitar back?

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
PUp Cover 1.jpg
PUp Cover 2.jpg
PUp Cover 3.jpg

Sorry, weeks later I actually needed to do some work on my '55 LPJ. Cavity 2 moulding, this is a REALLY battered guitar (and beautiful), but the cover still looks pretty reasonable. I have a '57 and a '59 that have original covers on too. I also have a more recent Gibson "historic" cover on a '56 replica, and may get around to checking if the scribe lines for the pole spacing are still visible. I don't want to have to pull strings off all my Juniors, but I'd love to know if I own a cover from cavity 1, and if it's lopsided...

maicolp, hopes aren't worth having in the first place. I like the look of all the parts so far, you might have the makings of a truly great guitar. Mould lines are visible on the top of my '55 pickup, meaning the one they are sending you is I think earlier. That is a good thing in my mind, they have a bit more sparkle.

maicolp

Reaction score
A guy asked me to trade this Jr with his true historic cc46 kathtyn in mint conditions. What you guys think?

none2low

Reaction score
A guy asked me to trade this Jr with his true historic cc46 kathtyn in mint conditions. What you guys think?
That's a tough call.

While I'm sure the TH is a nice guitar, it is not, and never will be, a Gibson from the golden era.

I know you've had a rough time with the Jr, but if it otherwise checks all the boxes for you, than IMO it comes down to you deciding whether or not the whole experience has soured you on the Jr. permanently.

I say if you can get past it, I would keep the '59 and enjoy it.

Like they say. They're not making anymore of them.

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
One way to look at it is that somehow, over time, this unloved Jr was stripped of its original parts and left to be less than it could. As it’s new custodian - despite the sour taste it may have initially caused - you have fought to restore it to its former glory with the correct vintage parts and now it can roar again. You’ve saved this guitar and you deserve to enjoy the benefits.

Latest Threads