Need Help identifying this Gibson - Resembles Sonex and Melody Maker

Les Paul John

Reaction score
A music store about 45 miles away has this guitar my brother sent me a very blurry single cell photo and said they had this hanging for $599

He said the headstock says "The Gibson" and he could tell they modified it with the tail piece, needs a wrap around and had a single coil - two knobs a volume and tone. It looks like a Melody maker but has a regular Gibson headstock that says "The Gibson" like the Sonex-180 but this isn't that.

I've searched online for 2 hours and all I found were Sonex and Melody Maker photos but no match for this exact guitar.

here is the photo my brother sent me .... it's the white one. The tailpiece is not original and neither is the double coil as it had a single.

Resized_20190211_122610_4428.jpg

This is what it resembles ....

a Melody maker by Gibson which has a narrow headstock and doesn't say "The Gibson".

ubus4elfnshfxngrby8s.jpg

But the headstock looks like this I am assuming but with a white truss rod cover it looks like in his photo above hanging.

Sonex headstock.jpg

Les Paul John

Reaction score

BigTim

Reaction score
The only thing I do not like is that bridge on there like that. I think it would make the strings pop out of place at that angle if you got on it. I would rather have that though than a lot of others I have saw that were customized by someone

Les Paul John

Reaction score
The only thing I do not like is that bridge on there like that. I think it would make the strings pop out of place at that angle if you got on it. I would rather have that though than a lot of others I have saw that were customized by someone
Agreed, I was thinking of buying it but seeing as it’s so heavily modified. Maybe not. Does have a good price though ... that bridge would come off for a wrap around normal bridge.

Might be a good player, early 60s guitar.

LSAR

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well .... that was easy, lmao! Okay .... well thank you, what do I owe you?
I'll accept payment in the form of pics when you restore it. :laugh2:

Actually looking it over again, it's not that bad. You'd have to be real committed to make it anything more than a wall hanger though. From the looks of the bridge and saddle adjustment an original spec bridge would be nowhere near intonatable on there, and the A string looks to be contacting the low E tuner. So, a refin with some headstock surgery, and filled/relocated posts for a bridge once it's all stripped down could get you close to a nice little guitar. Remember though, it is a little one. Short scale.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I'll accept payment in the form of pics when you restore it. :laugh2:

Actually looking it over again, it's not that bad. You'd have to be real committed to make it anything more than a wall hanger though. From the looks of the bridge and saddle adjustment an original spec bridge would be nowhere near intonatable on there, and the A string looks to be contacting the low E tuner. So, a refin with some headstock surgery, and filled/relocated posts for a bridge once it's all stripped down could get you close to a nice little guitar. Remember though, it is a little one. Short scale.
How did you find those pics and get that history. That was impressive.

LSAR

Premium Member
Reaction score
How did you find those pics and get that history. That was impressive.
I recognized it was a 3/4 scale Melody Maker at its core, so did a google image search for that...I knew with fair certainty they were never made with a large headstock but wanted to be sure on that...initially I wondered if maybe it was a Sonex neck on an MiJ MM body of some sort. That image search showed a back picture of a white MM, and I knew that wasn't a color I'd seen for these elsewhere. It led me to that ad. Just some lucky googling. :dunno:

It definitely helps that it's a pretty unique example and not really close to any stock example I'm aware of.

Les Paul John

Reaction score
I recognized it was a 3/4 scale Melody Maker at its core, so did a google image search for that...I knew with fair certainty they were never made with a large headstock but wanted to be sure on that...initially I wondered if maybe it was a Sonex neck on an MiJ MM body of some sort. That image search showed a back picture of a white MM, and I knew that wasn't a color I'd seen for these elsewhere. It led me to that ad. Just some lucky googling. :dunno:

It definitely helps that it's a pretty unique example and not really close to any stock example I'm aware of.
It’s the music store near where I live ...

zombiwoof

Reaction score
That's a Schaller bridge, they're good but not meant for guitars with angled TP's. I agree it was a bad choice, but easily fixed by replacing it with a proper compensated wrap tail.
Al