Need help identifying fretboard

23adrock

Reaction score
Hi,

I could use help identifying the fretboard on this 1957 Reissue Goldtop.

Seller believes it is Brazilian Rosewood. It is certainly darker than the fretboard on any of my other Gibson LPs.

Model LPR-7, Serial 721118

It doesn't fall in the "known" Brazilian serials to my knowledge, though it is very close. Complicating things further, it was owned by Justin Hawkins of The Darkness, who was known to have been given several "one-offs" from Gibson at various times throughout his career.

I did email Gibson about the serial, and this is their reply: "The serial number 721118 was used on a 2002 ’57 Les Paul Reissue gold top model and later on a 2012 ’57 Les Paul Reissue gold top model. Neither appears to be coded as having a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard. A few 2003 Custom Shop reissue models had Brazilian rosewood fingerboards."

If it isn't Brazilian Rosewood, what is it? I haven't personally seen a fretboard like this before. And this may not be related, but it feels leagues better than all my other Gibson LPs...

IMG_0891.jpg
IMG_0890.jpg
IMG_0886.jpg
Screen Shot 05-24-18 at 09.17 PM 003.JPG
Screen Shot 05-24-18 at 09.18 PM 002.JPG
Screen Shot 05-24-18 at 09.18 PM 003.JPG
Screen Shot 05-24-18 at 09.18 PM.JPG

Sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Madi....

Let me refer you to the Wood Database

Please read the section about pores and their relationship to species....

The pores on that guitar (which is very nice BTW) are close together and numerous....that should be your first clue notwithstanding the serial # range. Most and NOT ALL examples of Dalbergia Negra have a more denser characteristic with pores being further apart. This is what makes them dense.

Anyway here is the resource

Distinguishing Brazilian Rosewood, East Indian and Other Rosewoods | The Wood Database (wood-database.com)

Tone deaf

Reaction score
4 posts in six years? WTF?

Sorry.

Looks like Rosewood. Going to have to go with the other guys on Madagascan RW.

A little rubbing alcohol on a paper towel should get rid of whatever that magic marker garbage is on the back of the neck/headstock.

Last edited:

Knoby

Reaction score
What does it matter? If it feels great, buy it.

23adrock

Reaction score
4 posts in six years? WTF?

Sorry.

Looks like Rosewood. Going to have to o with the other guys on Madagascan RW.

A little rubbing alcohol on a paper towel should get rid of whatever that magic marker garbage is on the back of the neck/headstock.
lol don’t hate

thanks for the info everyone

chrimer

Reaction score
I Believe In A Thing Called LOVE! What a fun tune and GREAT RIFF to ROCK with!
Looks like a nice slab of Indian RW to me that's been oiled up every string change. ROCK ON!! :dude:

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Way to porous to be Madi. Madi is VERY smooth and extremely tight pores, you’ll never see Madi with massive crevices like that

those long open pores are a hallmark of Indian Rosewood

Knoby

Reaction score
Seriously, how will the type of wood influence your purchasing decision?

Since you've already mentioned it feels better then your other lps.

23adrock

Reaction score
Seriously, how will the type of wood influence your purchasing decision?

Since you've already mentioned it feels better then your other lps.
I should have clarified that I bought the guitar a while back, but I was just trying to figure out the fretboard composition.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way to porous to be Madi. Madi is VERY smooth and extremely tight pores, you’ll never see Madi with massive crevices like that

those long open pores are a hallmark of Indian Rosewood
6ED69CC7-4279-4844-AF9E-D2658FA75302.jpeg

This IS madagascar rosewood

MadagascarRosewood_WEB.jpg
popup_images_image_02010059_1_ml.jpg
unnamed.jpg

Last edited:

Gold Tone

Reaction score
What happened? Did you walk into a post?

Yep, that’s Madi in those photos alright! Smooth! All except the large piece at the top

looks identical to my 4 Gibsons with Madi and nothing like my other 8 Gibsons with Indian. Also looks nothing like my 2 Gibsons with Brazilian (new or 50’s)

Taken from the link provided earlier in this thread...” East Indian Rosewood should be almost riddled with pores”

You are able to see the difference in the photos of Madi that you posted and the OP’s photo of his guitar with Indian rosewood I would hope.

Last edited:

Knoby

Reaction score
Awesome! Should have been a ngd post. I hope you are rockng it hard.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
See my updated post.......... you are soooooooooo wrong about this wood.
Okay, hold onto that if it makes you feel good, but please don’t contribute to bad information on the internet...we’ve got enough of that. Take that defensive energy and swap it around to taking in some good info and learning something. You will be better off.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, hold onto that. But please don’t contribute to bad information on the internet...we’ve got enough of that. Take that defensive energy and swap it around to taking in some good info and learning something. You will be better off
Unfortunately you should heed your own advice amigo.

Latest Threads