Need help figuring out exactly what this Les Paul is.

Guitarzan5150

Reaction score
I was offered a trade recently of what was initially pitched as a 2011 Les Paul standard. When I saw the pics, I saw it definitely wasn't a regular standard. He also said it had the push/pull pots and has a 57 neck and BB 3 bridge. I asked him to check the case to see the model on the tags. He then says it's a Traditional 50s. So to me, it looks like a trad pro, but I can't seem to find any trad pros that came with covered pickups. He says he got it as a gift from wife brand new, and all hardware is original, nothing changed. The covered pickups is bothering me, was there any of the trad pros that came with covered pickups? Also, the offer is my '07 PRS McCarty for the Les Paul +400$CAD. Does that seem like a fair trade? Reason I'm considering it is that although the PRS is a fantastic guitar, I find myself always going for my Les Paul standard. Just something I prefer about Gibsons. Also, I've got a duncan custom 5 in the bridge and lollar imperial neck, so having a second Les Paul with gibson pickups would provide a little variety.

Guitarzan5150

Reaction score
Sweet Lester enjoy!:slash:
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, still on the fence. I just wanted to see if anyone knew whether any Trad Pros did come with covered pickups stock, or if this is indeed a Trad Pro or something else.

In the time since I posted this, I got another reply for a Nash S63. I think I'm leaning that way now, seeing as I already have a Standard.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
Almost impossible to tell with 100% certainty without seeing the pickup cavity markings. Anyone can toss on a set of covers & a TRC.

sibyrpunk

Reaction score
My guess is it’s a Traditional Pro and someone put covers on the pickups and a couple other small mods. If that’s the case it’s not a good deal.

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
I had a 2011 Trad Pro II that I am 99 percent sure came with covered pickups in the configuration you describe. Maybe it was a GC run? Anyhow, I loved that guitar. I can't speak to valuation on PRS, but regarding the quality and caliber of the traditional, I am a huge fan.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Premium Member
Reaction score
My guess is it’s a Traditional Pro and someone put covers on the pickups and a couple other small mods. If that’s the case it’s not a good deal.
This. That's a Trad Pro with covers,

AlanH

Reaction score
Email the serial number to Gibson as they may have a record, or ask them for the trad, trad Pro and standard specs for that year.

anorton

Reaction score
A member here runs this site with all the different Traditional models over the years.
The specs you mention would suggest that it is indeed a Trad Pro 50s. Strange about the pickup covers, though. Best to get in touch with Gibson.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
I haven't pulled the trigger yet, still on the fence. I just wanted to see if anyone knew whether any Trad Pros did come with covered pickups stock, or if this is indeed a Trad Pro or something else.

In the time since I posted this, I got another reply for a Nash S63. I think I'm leaning that way now, seeing as I already have a Standard.
BEST OF LUCK either way::photos:

Guitarzan5150

Reaction score
Thanks for the help all. I was kind of thinking it was a Trad pro, maybe a limited run that did come with covers rather than the zebras. I know Long and McQuade up here in Canada does get L&M exclusive stuff from time to time, so it may very well be possible. I'll reach out to Gibson and see. I'm taking the guys word for it that he's never done any mods, but who knows, people lie all the time and maybe adding covers isn't considered a mod to him.

All that being said, I'm really not sure what to do. If I do the swap for the Les Paul, I think the value is OK based on what I paid for the McCarty. I wouldn't loose money, but I did get a killer deal on the McCarty. The Nash S63 by all accounts seem to be a great guitar, and I don't currently have a strat. I generally haven't been able to get along with strats, so maybe this is the answer. I'm still torn though because something about an S-Style guitar, even from a boutique builder seems to be much cheaper than a PRS. Maybe at the end of the day, I should just hang on to the PRS if nothing stands out to me as a deal I should make. I just feel that it's a little redundant with my Les Paul standard, and seeing as I play my Les Paul about 90% of the time over the PRS, I should look to swap it for something else. Anyone else been in a similar situation of having a hard time letting go of a guitar, yet feeling like it's a waste to hold on to it if it's not getting the use it deserves?

musicmaniac

Reaction score
"Anyone else been in a similar situation of having a hard time letting go of a guitar, yet feeling like it's a waste to hold on to it if it's not getting the use it deserves? "

I have and the only way I would do it would be for a killer deal. Good luck whatever you do.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
Thanks for the help all. I was kind of thinking it was a Trad pro, maybe a limited run that did come with covers rather than the zebras. I know Long and McQuade up here in Canada does get L&M exclusive stuff from time to time, so it may very well be possible. I'll reach out to Gibson and see. I'm taking the guys word for it that he's never done any mods, but who knows, people lie all the time and maybe adding covers isn't considered a mod to him.

All that being said, I'm really not sure what to do. If I do the swap for the Les Paul, I think the value is OK based on what I paid for the McCarty. I wouldn't loose money, but I did get a killer deal on the McCarty. The Nash S63 by all accounts seem to be a great guitar, and I don't currently have a strat. I generally haven't been able to get along with strats, so maybe this is the answer. I'm still torn though because something about an S-Style guitar, even from a boutique builder seems to be much cheaper than a PRS. Maybe at the end of the day, I should just hang on to the PRS if nothing stands out to me as a deal I should make. I just feel that it's a little redundant with my Les Paul standard, and seeing as I play my Les Paul about 90% of the time over the PRS, I should look to swap it for something else. Anyone else been in a similar situation of having a hard time letting go of a guitar, yet feeling like it's a waste to hold on to it if it's not getting the use it deserves?
If you are looking for something different but with Gibson Custom Shop quality and luthier built I would check out Desert Star Guitars that are built by our own @LtDave32 he can build your wildest dreams for less than custom shop prices,.... way less than PRS. Everyone should have at least one custom luthier build..... and Dave is the best,.... besides being a MLP mod he knows everything about these guitars and a great guy to work with.;)

Latest Threads