Need help buying my first pedalboard setup

d2_racing

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm gonna start buying some pedals to built my first pedalboard.

So, where should I start ?

Just take a look at my current setup.

Should I start with a compressor pedal or a reverb.

Thanks for your inputs.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
My advice is to put some thought into what you want/need, not what you think you're supposed to have because everyone else has this or that effect. For example, in my live rig, I don't use compression or reverb - but that's me; other players make great use of those effects, they're just not something I use.

It's hard to go wrong with reverb as that's a pretty standard effect that works for most any situation but are there songs with certain sounds that you like and you want to use yourself? That's probably the best place to start.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Start with a good tuner and go from there. Do you have a particular style of music in mind, or does it need to cover a variety of styles/genres?
Listen to a bunch of guitar sounds that you like and make a list of the effects that are used. Ask here if you don't know what they are. Do you want a big board with lots of options/flexibility, or a simple one that covers a few basic needs?
Make the list, then figure out the order to buy them in by priority.
From the amps in your list, I'd guess classic rock to modern rock, maybe metal. I'll throw a few suggestions out there:
Digital delay, phaser, silicon fuzz, distortion, boost, wah. Pretty much in that order, although that's pretty subjective and totally up to you.
Like Rich said, everyone has different needs. I still don't have a reverb pedal or a compressor, but they'll probably come soon. :)

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah, think about the guitar sounds you like, then we can help you select which pedals will get you closer to those sounds.

Tweaker

Reaction score
So, based upon your signature, I'd recommend...an ABY pedal and another cab!

Brocko

Reaction score
Sometimes you just have to wade in and buy a few pedals. Sure you might lose a bit of money if you decide to sell them later. But its not always possible to scope out a pedal in the shop, sometimes you have to live with it for a while.

If taking this approach, just try to be honest if you really use/like a pedal or just fell in love with the 'idea' of it. I fell into this trap a few times.

freak

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
tube screamer and an epi boost.

the rest will just fall in to place.:naughty:

GitFiddle

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm gonna start buying some pedals to built my first pedalboard.

So, where should I start ?

Just take a look at my current setup.

Should I start with a compressor pedal or a reverb.

Thanks for your inputs.

It might help if you mentioned why you are building a pedal board.
Is it just out of curiosity?
Looking for new sounds?
Did someone tell you, you needed a pedal board?
Are you bored with the sound you are getting now?

Personally, I wouldn't even worry about building a pedal board unless/until I already had some pedals that I felt would help out my sound. Putting together a pedal board is just a useful way to keep your pedals conveniently organized.

James R

Reaction score
My only suggestion would be not to go all willy-nilly and buy a bunch of cheap or readily available pedals just so you can say you've got them.
Take your time, try out many options, and buy what sounds best to you.
I went crazy and bought up a bunch of used pedals of my locals, which all sounded good to me... until I tried others and quickly realized why they were being sold off in the first place.
My board is finally starting to get where I want it, but I spent a bunch of time and money running around the city to pick up these pedals that I later had to spend more time on trying to sell.
Choose right, and with any luck, you'll only have to choose once.

hecube

Reaction score
Considering all the amps you have, the best first step for you might be a good amp switcher.

foxtrot

Reaction score
Maybe start with a good Tuner pedal and find a Reverb pedal you like (since you're already thinking about them).

I like my TC Electronic Hall of Fame reverb a lot but there are a ton of great reverbs out there.

As for anything else, it really depends on what type of music and sound you like. :cool:

Syrus

Reaction score
tuner plus overdrive
aka free mute and extra channel

BOSS TU-2/TU-3
Ibanez TS-9 / BOSS SD-1

Both rock solid and easy to get / sell off if not your cup.

Gloveberg

Reaction score
I'm not nearly as experienced as most here but I'll throw my two cents in :naughty:

#1. A good tuner.
#2. Some sort of overdrive. They're all so subjective it's hard to recommend one.
#3. Delay. Simply because it can pull double duty whereas you can set it for reverb-ish sound or straight slapback.
#4. Amp switcher. I'm currently using a G. Lynch Tripler (3 amps baby!! :thumb:)
#5. Chorus I like for clean stuff.
#6. Phaser. Actually I might put this ahead of a chorus
#7. Wah. Mehh...I have one but suck at using it but your mileage may vary.

Latest Threads