Need help buying a pedal board.

Zack Pomerleau

Reaction score

Ermghoti

Reaction score
It won't hurt anything, but it might get a little underpowered if you have a lot of stuff on at once. You'll need an adaptor cable for the 18v pedal.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
First, as far as the number of pedals are concerned, the 1Spot can handle a number of pedals that total up to 1700mA (that'd be a lot of pedals). The 18 volt requirement doesn't play into whether the 1Spot can handle supplying power to your four pedals...

Second, your 18v pedal will probably work, but it's going to be getting only half the power that is recommended for it. So, it will probably be underperforming.

Third, make sure that all of your pedals that you intend to use with the 1Spot are DC voltage and not AC. I have a few pedals that require 9v AC adapters and you don't want to be mixing them up.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Taken from the description:Eight (8) 9v outputs & three (3) 18v outputs

No adapter needed.
Don't you guys read?

Zack Pomerleau

Reaction score
Okay Rich, so it just might have weaker output you're saying? And, Erm, you're confusing me. Do you NEED the converter? If so, do you know where I can find one separately considering the 1spot comes with enough cables for my setup, so I don't want to spend more money for stuff I don't need.

Zack Pomerleau

Reaction score
Angry, that's for the Gator, but if I went the other route it's made for 9v, so I wasn't sure.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
Hard to say what the results will be without knowing what the pedal is and trying it out with only 9 volts. Some pedals, like the Fulltone OCD, might sound different but no better or worse with 9 volts or 18 volts. In fact, Fulltone encourages users to experiment with it to see what they like best. Other pedals (like time based effects - delay, chorus, etc.) might sound a little "grainy" if they're underpowered. All you can do is try it with 9 volts, see how it performs and decide whether you find the sound acceptable or not.

I don't know if there is a 9v -> 18v converter but my gut is telling me that's it's probably not possible to do (I'm no electrical engineer though). I would say you're more likely to find something that regularly supplies 18v with options to step it down to 9v. If it were me, I'd go with the 1Spot for three of the pedals and a separate 18v adapter for the fourth if 9v doesn't sound good with it.

Zack Pomerleau

Reaction score
Pwozzie, this is AWESOME! If I go this route, can anyone recommend a powering system that could accept 18v that would get to around $100 or so? If I have to, I'll just use the adapter I have.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hmmm the reviews on those aren't so great, but I'll do more research.

They're good enough for light gigs, but if you want something road tough, you'd need to spend 300+. The velcro sucks, but that's a $20 fix.

As for 18v, I believe the Voodoo pedal power 2 has that, and you should really have isolated pedal outputs for a power supply.

Ermghoti

Reaction score
PPII will go to 12v, needs the adaptor for 18v. It's pretty awesome anyway, I also have a BBE Supa-Charger, which works fine, and seems to be selling for $100 shipped a couple of places. I'm putting in a buy order on these puppies, I'll probably grab a backup/home unit myself.

BBE Sound SUPA Charger High Performance Universal Pedal Power Supply in Musical Instrument Power Supplies at JR.com (add to cart for ZOMGLOWPRIEC!!1!)

PROVANTAGE: BBE Sound Inc. SUPA-Charger Bbe Universal Pedal Power Supply

For a good pedal board for reasonable cash, the GC-only Pedaltrain is good, so are the NYC Pedalboards custom products. Either + an on-sale BBE would be $2-300 max.

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would get the Furman Plug Lock Wall Wart and go that route and not use any of the other power supplies like voodoo lab, DC. Brick, etc.

You can also get Rave On Pedalboards like Gearmandude uses on his youtube video.

2009LPGT

Reaction score
Good clean power is essential. Best to get isolated power. Although I am a mega fan of the one spot! I honestly heard a noticeable difference in noise level and overall fidelity when I plugged all my pedals into the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 blah, blah, blah...

notoperational

Reaction score
Pedal-Train all the way man... Find one that fits what you need and get a power-supply. Trust me, you will not go back!!!

tele52

Reaction score
Pedal-Train all the way man... Find one that fits what you need and get a power-supply. Trust me, you will not go back!!!
I have to agree, I bought the PT, and the Voodoo Lab power supply, they're made for each other. It was kind of expensive, but it will last a lifetime. SBK just brought out a unit. But the PT/VooDoo is first class.

Ermghoti

Reaction score
I must quibble. The integration of the PPII with the NYC Pedalboards design is superior. The switches on the PPII are totally inaccessible on a Pedatrain.

Deftone

Reaction score
I must quibble. The integration of the PPII with the NYC Pedalboards design is superior. The switches on the PPII are totally inaccessible on a Pedatrain.

The NYC boards look nice but I hate that carpet.

I have to agree, I bought the PT, and the Voodoo Lab power supply, they're made for each other. It was kind of expensive, but it will last a lifetime. SBK just brought out a unit. But the PT/VooDoo is first class.

I just ordered the Voodoo Labs Power supply. It seemed like it was the best, hands down after comparing many.

Ermghoti

Reaction score

Correction: you can get at the switches, the trim knobs for the "sag" jacks are inaccessible.

The NYC boards look nice but I hate that carpet.

He hand-builds them to order, so he'd probably do Tolex if you asked nice.

Latest Threads