Need gear help.

garybaldy

Reaction score
Line out on the back of your amp. Plug into your board from there. If you have a line out. If not your stuck with a mic.

What amp do you have? Post a picture of the back panel.
My tech knowledge is minimal also.
I mic my guitar amp to go to FOH. We have floor monitors mainly for vocals and I rarely hear my guitar thru them.
Question: If I did have a line out on my guitar amp would it have a speaker sim or would I need something else? It's the guitar sound thru the amp's speaker that I would want to hear thru FOH and any kind of monitoring.
Edit; after posting saw #21 - interesting.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have been looking at the boss katana..... I kinda like it...... I had a mustang 3 and all the settings and knobs and switches and software gave me a headache....... so..... and yeah anytime I have ran electric direct to the board it sounded awful BUT I have never ran through my pedal board to a DI to the mixer......... the only sound thats worse is when I switch to my acoustic and forget to run it to the mixer and its through my amp....shattering glass is the closest description.

cjpeck

Reaction score
running direct through a DI into the board with an electric ain't for everyone. I don't know many who like the tone, a few exceptions being a couple buds who are into metal/doom/stoner metal type stuff and are running a crap ton of effects all the time anyways and have spent a lot of time tweaking the knobs on everything.
Hence the sansamp; you get the amp and cab tones easy-peasy. I drag an RK5 (1st version) with me everywhere. It fits in my case and I get the tone I like and know how to use everywhere I go. Check out the youtube demos on the various flyrigs. The plexi stuff emulates a marshal sound, the california is a mesa boogie thing, etc. etc... You dial it in just like an amp, plus you get all kinds of other stuff. I still have a pedal board in the gear locker with a TS8, OCD, vox wah, carbon copy, chorus, and TU2 but haven't used it in two years.
I see used flyrigs for a couple hundred all the time.

garybaldy

Reaction score
running direct through a DI into the board with an electric ain't for everyone. I don't know many who like the tone, a few exceptions being a couple buds who are into metal/doom/stoner metal type stuff and are running a crap ton of effects all the time anyways and have spent a lot of time tweaking the knobs on everything.
Hence the sansamp; you get the amp and cab tones easy-peasy. I drag an RK5 (1st version) with me everywhere. It fits in my case and I get the tone I like and know how to use everywhere I go. Check out the youtube demos on the various flyrigs. The plexi stuff emulates a marshal sound, the california is a mesa boogie thing, etc. etc... You dial it in just like an amp, plus you get all kinds of other stuff. I still have a pedal board in the gear locker with a TS8, OCD, vox wah, carbon copy, chorus, and TU2 but haven't used it in two years.
I always have a Behringer sansamp 'copy' with me just in case my amp blows. The plan being to go thru my board then thru the Behringer set to reproduce, in theory, my musicman 65RP 1x12 combo clean sound and into the desk. Never had to use it so far and never even tried it out.
1554751056903.png

G Man

Reaction score
I recently picked up a bass fly rig, this is the way to go. Spend some time looking at the different options. If you find the right one, it may well make it possible to eliminate a few of the pedals on your board now.

Caretaker

Reaction score
Why is there always one asshole? Do you feel any better about yourself now that you got to be a dick? I mean you must , after all what other reason could there be for being one?
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I have been looking at the boss katana..... I kinda like it...... I had a mustang 3 and all the settings and knobs and switches and software gave me a headache....... so..... and yeah anytime I have ran electric direct to the board it sounded awful BUT I have never ran through my pedal board to a DI to the mixer......... the only sound thats worse is when I switch to my acoustic and forget to run it to the mixer and its through my amp....shattering glass is the closest description.
Without some kind of speaker simulator your electric guitar won't sound right. Without changing anything else in your rig, the Mooer Radar Speaker Simulator pedal might work for you.https://www.guitarcenter.com/Mooer/Radar-Speaker-Cab-Simulator.gc

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Looking at the flyrigs.....kind of an amp and pedal board all in one that runs to the mixer...is that right?

cjpeck

Reaction score
Looking at the flyrigs.....kind of an amp and pedal board all in one that runs to the mixer...is that right?
yes. They certainly work well straight into the board. They also work fantastic in front of an amp. Set the amp flat and the sansamp section will get you dialed into your usual sound just by stomping the button.
When I got my first RK5 (Ihave a couple backups, I take two on the road and keep one at home just for insurance) I was doubtful at best. I tried it out in the rehearsal studio and had the whole thing dialed in in about 2 minutes. I haven't taken an amp to a gig since. Well, other than tracking. Nothing beats hot tubes in the studio. But stage gigs? I ain't dragging an amp. I can set up in 2 minutes and tear my rig down in less.
After I played the first show without an amp, our bass player showed up at the very next practice with the bass version. At this point we don't have any amps on stage at all. It's super easy to get a great mix in FOH.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Haven't you learned anything hanging around this Forum?

TWO PLEXI's, Man.
TWO PLEXI's!

And a '59 Les Paul.
That would work.
:thumb:

:)

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
yes. They certainly work well straight into the board. They also work fantastic in front of an amp. Set the amp flat and the sansamp section will get you dialed into your usual sound just by stomping the button.
When I got my first RK5 (Ihave a couple backups, I take two on the road and keep one at home just for insurance) I was doubtful at best. I tried it out in the rehearsal studio and had the whole thing dialed in in about 2 minutes. I haven't taken an amp to a gig since. Well, other than tracking. Nothing beats hot tubes in the studio. But stage gigs? I ain't dragging an amp. I can set up in 2 minutes and tear my rig down in less.
After I played the first show without an amp, our bass player showed up at the very next practice with the bass version. At this point we don't have any amps on stage at all. It's super easy to get a great mix in FOH.
Are they programmable for different effects or are they just what they are? I think with my vocal harmonizer I am pretty much stuck with my pedal board. ...... just a ridiculous amount of stuff for a solo guy. My buddy is a drummer for a local band and he even commented that I use it all but its a lot.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Here's a half-stack:
The "Plexi" is the Marshall amp.
It's not "loud".
It's "louder".
Bar owners will love ya!
;)

cjpeck

Reaction score
Are they programmable for different effects or are they just what they are? I think with my vocal harmonizer I am pretty much stuck with my pedal board. ...... just a ridiculous amount of stuff for a solo guy. My buddy is a drummer for a local band and he even commented that I use it all but its a lot.
watch a few demos, it'll show you how they work. They're really flexible, but aren't programable. Matter of fact they're all analog not digital, it's part of what makes them sound as good as they do. At some point you're going to have to do some research and learn about possible gear options. No one can tell you what is going to work for you; you're going to have to invest some bandwidth into it yourself. As far as an easy to program digitalal solution to replace everything you have on your board I'm sorry to say it doesn't exist. There's gear out there that can do it, but it's not cheap or simple and has a pretty steep learning curve right up front.

Pappy58

Reaction score
Running direct removes your speaker from what is sent to the board. This can introduce undesired results imo. Running the Mic captures the audio as it's produced by the whole amp. Thats my .02 anyway. Good Luck! :cheers2:

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have a DI box on my board but I only run the acoustic through it.....my small board has built in DI boxes but when I play with the duo I have to use the bigger board. So adding a second DI box and running directly to the board with the electric would work and give me good sound? If so thats a perfect solution I would think.

If your board has a DI built in, you would not need to use an external DI box (unless you are running really long cables).

If you set up your amp to be clean and flat, going DI will only "remove" some of the warmth (and reverb, if in your amp) and character that you get from mic-ing it. It will not sound exactly the same. But, it *may* work for you -- depending on how you like and can tailor the overall sound.
I would have suggested a plain ol' DI, but thought the amp sim/speaker cab emmulation would be something he'd be looking for since he's been playing through an amp up to this point.
And, this would always be my preferred choice, unless I didn't want to haul an an amp around. Not sure what problem he's trying to solve. Too much gear? Easier and simpler rig? Or just the IEM issue?

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
And, this would always be my preferred choice, unless I didn't want to haul an an amp around. Not sure what problem he's trying to solve. Too much gear? Easier and simpler rig? Or just the IEM issue?
All of the above lol

Latest Threads