Need advice - string alignment on my 2013 Standard, does this look right?

Governator

Reaction score
On my 2013 LP Standard I’ve always noticed that the high E is slightly closer to the edge of the fretboard than the low E. Not sure if it’s slightly out of alignment, I had my luthier put a new tusque nut on it after I bought it (purchased second hand in 2016), he didn’t think there was any issue. I also recently had it setup by another luthier (is well regarded and custom builds LP style guitars) he also didn’t think it was an issue. But when I measure the difference between the low and high e to the edge of the fretboard there is a slight difference of about 1-1.5mm. Sometimes when I do a hammer and pull-offs high up the neck I hear a deadened sound where the string sometimes hits the edge of the fretboard.

Should I consider having the bridge saddles replaced (un-notched) and notched by my luthier? If so, are these the correct ones?:

What are your thoughts? Thanks

83B04F6A-D0EA-4908-AC65-E83E104F84A7.png
4EF7E9E8-DA26-4063-8255-E160997B63BA.jpeg

DADDEO

Reaction score
At the end of the day, if it's causing issues with your style of playing, then change them. Alternatively, ask your luthiers to notch the existing saddle for you. No one will criticise you, your making it better for you to play.

Governator

Reaction score
Typically, it's not the bridge, but at the nut I have found.

The spacing looks good at the nut end if the neck though, I also had a new nut put on.

Looks right to me.
Is the string slipping over the edge?

I wouldn’t say it slips over the edge, just occasionally hear a dull ‘ping’ sound when I do a hammer pull off on the high e string, I think the string must hit the nib or something, rarely the string gets caught between the nib and the end of the fret but. The last pro setup I had done I also had a fret level and dress done.

grumphh_the_banned_one

Reaction score
Please, take the picture again, but at more at an angle this time, because you didn't try hard enough in your first attempt.

Nothing wrong to see on that pic (yeah, gotta try harder to make it look off, man) and "dull pings on hammer pull-offs" are just bad technique.
Practise, both your playing and your camera skilzz.

I'll give you one thing though, and that is that you have a shitty guitar if the string gets caught in a crack between a nib and a fret.
Get a guitar without nibs.

Governator

Reaction score
Please, take the picture again, but at more at an angle this time, because you didn't try hard enough in your first attempt.

Nothing wrong to see on that pic (yeah, gotta try harder to make it look off, man) and "dull pings on hammer pull-offs" are just bad technique.
Practise, both your playing and your camera skilzz.

Agree I need a better camera angle, I’ll get back to you with a better one. I’m not going to comment on my technique, you maybe right, I don’t have this issue on my Strat

Cjsinla

Reaction score
That’s why I don’t do pull-offs on the high e string on any guitar.

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
I play a lot of legato licks with hammer on and pull offs and I have no problem with the nibs on my Gibsons. It’s your guitar, if you want new saddles, go for it! I would go for these:

Roxy13

Reaction score
It looks like it might be off a little bit. I try to give the treble e a little more room for bends and move the bass E closer to the edge instead. That's advice Freddy G gave me when I had to drill for my first bridge.

diavolo

Reaction score
isnt that bridge on backwards?
not sure if theyre symmetrical, but i thought the adjustment screws go on the other side.
are the saddles slotted correctly for that orientation?

Brazilnut

Reaction score
isnt that bridge on backwards?
not sure if theyre symmetrical, but i thought the adjustment screws go on the other side.
are the saddles slotted correctly for that orientation?
That's a Nashville. It's sitting where it should. And I don't see anything wrong with the spacing. The treble E is closer to the nibs, but not that close.

You want a straight shot from nut to TP, and from that pic, it looks good.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
The nut looks a bit too widly cut on the e strings (strings too close to the edges) but that’s just my personal preference, fat fingers and all. Similar play style to yours. I do prefer wider boards, and will tap a nut towards the bass side (hate glued nuts since I’m also a classical player and glue is not needed, and also into nut preservation.) ;):thumb:

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
No problem there whatsoever - UNLESS you have OCD.

Let's phrase it this way, in order to be gentle: It is not the guitar holding back your playing.

Dude give me a break. Nut slot spacing is a matter of preference.

Latest Threads