Need a teacher who knows how to teach an old dog new tricks

2old2rock

Reaction score
I am looking for a good teacher in the greater Hartford area of CT (preferably east of the river) who can help me break some bad habits and learn new good ones. Specifically, I need someone who has experience and/or ability to deal with older fellers like myself who aren't as pliable as some of you younger folks.

My primary goals are to be able to play longer without pain, to be technically proficient enough to lay down some tracks for musical ideas I have and occasionally jam with friends.

If anyone lives in this area I would appreciate any recommendations. Searching music stores and local ads can prove daunting.

gitmohair

Reaction score
We have a chap round here (no use to you, he's in the east of England) who specializes in musicians' injuries, ageing,etc. I imagine you may have the same over there. Worth checking for? Lessons per se won't fix underlying physical issues (though they might provide a work-around) so I'd have thought it's worth looking at them as separate things - (a) how can I help my hands etc and (b) how can I improve my playing.

Any local music groups/clubs in your area whose members are in your age group (and therefore likely aware of the issues you're describing)? (Doesn't really matter what instruments they play, they'll likely have similar physical issues and may be able to offer advice).

Mick Weiss

Reaction score
I occasionally get some twangs in my left middle finger, I found a dab of Voltaren rubbed into the area gets rid of it for days...I used to get it from a buddy that had relatives that sent it to him from Germany, But it has been approved for use in the US now. Also works great for my bum knee...

2old2rock

Reaction score
Ah, the maladies of growing old... My issue that I'm currently suffering from mild impingement in my left shoulder, and have a tendency to scrunch it up instead of keeping relaxed. I am certain my posture is bad and I'm not holding the instrument correctly for me, so that's my number one issue that needs fixing. One reason why I favor in-person learning is that they can see in three dimensions and work with me directly to fix my mechanics.

Another aspect to all this is which instrument I should use as my "primary" for practice and lessons. I have a newer Fender American Pro II Telecaster and a Gibson LP Classic. Both wonderful guitars, but very different beasts. I'd lean toward the Lester since I favor heavier rock, but that's immaterial for remedial work. No idea whether swapping back and forth offers any advantage or disadvantage in development or versatility, or if it even matters, unless working on specific repertoire that lends itself to one or the other.

I'm just excited to get back into playing. As a young teenager I would leave my old Tele out on a stand and would pick it up and noodle every chance I got. Practice was not always productive as I would tend to blaze through lesson material then spend an hour or two doing my own thing, sometimes reinforcing bad habits. But oh, the joy of making sounds from that rudimentary conglomeration of wire and wood! Whenever I pop open the case even now I harken back to those old days.

Latest Threads