Need a new laptop. Suggestions?

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My wife has decided she's tired of waiting for our 10-year-old laptop to accomplish simple tasks (like starting up). We use this as the main computer in our household, as we no longer have a desktop computer.

Any suggestions on specs, features, brands that work well for you? It's mostly going to be used for keeping our finances and other things organized, storing some media, writing/editing documents, etc. (and wasting time on MLP, of course). No really intensive stuff like graphics work, CAD or extensive video editing. Neither of us are gamers. I would like to get a little more into digital recording maybe. My wife wants something portable/light enough that she can easily carry it around the house, use it for her yoga videos, watch TV or movies when she's folding laundry, etc. She is intrigued by this Chromebook idea, but to me it seems really light on capability and more of a tablet with a keyboard attached. I know they're cheap, but you get what you pay for - right?

Any input or suggestions would be appreciated. I use Lenovos for work and they perform well and seem reliable. They also appear to offer decent value over some other brands. I'm probably more of a PC than Mac guy (I've owned both and find the Mac system a little too counterintuitive sometimes).

Thanks!

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on Lenova or Asus. I swore never again for Dell ... due to delivery issues not quality.

Really any big name manufacturer is gonna have a good laptop, just get what you need.

Cross check sites against Amazon, you'll find a decent price.

Used too, Dell used site had some deals ... but then like I said they p.o.'ed me last time with very late delivery.

As for specs ... I dunno what the latest thing is ... mine are probably over 5 years old. I'd have to research again.

I will say for gaming, get an add on graphics processor. Other than that just get the best processor you can afford ... everything else should fall in place.

Get SSD vs HD, but size is cheaply upgraded. So don't spend $100's for a few gb's.

Memory? Yeah, more is better, but really if the rest of the specs line up ... this will too. Concentrate on the CPU you want.

Oh and lots of laptops don't have any media drives these days. So a cheap external DVD reader can come in handy, but most software is download anyways.

All the recording stuff you wanna do will be via external add-on interfaces and damn near any laptop these days is gonna be fine for that. Hell , our phones are mostly capable of that, better than most laptops we had years ago.

Last edited:

Chester Drawers

Reaction score
I bought a refurbished Lenovo (IBM) Thinkpad for work as I needed MS Office, and wanted to keep work & home devices separate.

It was an ex lease unit, about 4/5 years old. I had the HD upgraded and it has been faultless. It looked like new when I got it. 1 years warranty and anti virus for £300. ($360 or so?

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Lots of good advice here.

I recommend, what ever you choose, purchase direct. Not from a retail store.
In my experience. The retail stores seem to get the "leftovers" from the Name Brands.

Buy direct from Asus, or Dell, or . . . .
They will typically have deals on their web page , so look at those.

I personally don't like HP computers. But they are my go-to for laser printers, or scanners.

For a lap top I generally recommend the middle of the road processor.
An Intel I-5 or similar. Bigger processors usually mean hotter processors, and in laptops that can be disasterous depending on the internal design.

I always recommend at least 8MB RAM but if you want to use a DAW go for at min. 16MB

I also recommend a SSD. Solid State Drive. If you have the $$, get the 500MB.

I also like the back lit keyboard. It's great if you like to work at low light levels.

Other considerations are if you require an optical drive. Many new laptops don't have these anymore.

Good Luck :acoustic:

Fret Hopper

Reaction score
Go to newegg.com or tigerdirect.com. You can find great deals on refurbished/ off lease laptops. Get a laptop with an i5 processor, SSD, decent graphics, and sometimes up to 8 Gs of RAM, sometimes more, for a few hundred $.

Fret Hopper

Reaction score

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Core i5 or better (11th Gen is the latest, I think), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD or bigger.
Do not get a touch screen or 3-4K resolution unless you don't mind low battery life and plugging it in a lot. I should have avoided the upgrade to a 3200 x 1800 touch screen when I bought a Dell XPS 13, but I've had it six years. Light, thin and fast. I have upgraded the M.2 SSD from 128 to 500GB.

nauc

Reaction score
im on my 2nd HP laptop. i get them at Costco (no bs to deal with). they were both around $400. been great

had a Dell before that. biggest pita. 2 motherboards died. disc drive failed. 2 screens failed. the power supply died too

that Dell was like $1,100 too. it all was under warranty (paid warranty tho)

but what a pita!

Bro KV

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Surface Pro 7 for me and a Dell Latitude 5501 for the wife and kids. Surface blows the doors off the Dell but isn’t as comfortable to use sitting on the couch.

Haprom

Reaction score
I Hate to Admit it because I loved Dell for Years. However, My Wife was Sick and Tired of the Virus Shit, and Forced me to gat a Mac. And again I hate to admit it. But,,, I Love It... Once You Get Use to Their OS, You will never be Able to go Back to a PC... Just My Opinion...

Howard2k

Reaction score
+1 on Lenova or Asus. I swore never again for Dell ... due to delivery issues not quality.

Really any big name manufacturer is gonna have a good laptop, just get what you need.

Cross check sites against Amazon, you'll find a decent price.

Used too, Dell used site had some deals ... but then like I said they p.o.'ed me last time with very late delivery.

As for specs ... I dunno what the latest thing is ... mine are probably over 5 years old. I'd have to research again.

I will say for gaming, get an add on graphics processor. Other than that just get the best processor you can afford ... everything else should fall in place.

Get SSD vs HD, but size is cheaply upgraded. So don't spend $100's for a few gb's.

Memory? Yeah, more is better, but really if the rest of the specs line up ... this will too. Concentrate on the CPU you want.

Oh and lots of laptops don't have any media drives these days. So a cheap external DVD reader can come in handy, but most software is download anyways.

All the recording stuff you wanna do will be via external add-on interfaces and damn near any laptop these days is gonna be fine for that. Hell , our phones are mostly capable of that, better than most laptops we had years ago.

+1 on all of this.

I will add, my current laptop has 8GB and it's from 2015. If I was buying a new laptop today I would get 16GB. It might be upgradable by you after the time of purchase, so it might be cheaper to buy with 8GB and add another 8GB, rather than buying with 16GB. It depends on the manufacturer, but that's something I would consider.

Same with SSD, it might that you can easily upgrade the existing SSD or perhaps there's a spare slot.

None of that applies for Apple of course. :laugh2: You just pay through the nose at the outset, so you need to purchase a little more wisely. Not bashing Apple, I use them (and love their stuff for the most part), but that's reality right now.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Core i5 or better (11th Gen is the latest, I think), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD or bigger.
Do not get a touch screen or 3-4K resolution unless you don't mind low battery life and plugging it in a lot. I should have avoided the upgrade to a 3200 x 1800 touch screen when I bought a Dell XPS 13, but I've had it six years. Light, thin and fast. I have upgraded the M.2 SSD from 128 to 500GB.
I went with i7/16/512, found a good deal on one for $900 all in.

Latest Threads