Need a new Distortion Box

YoshiJimbo

Reaction score
Currently using a Zoom G2Nu but it does not hold the sustain very well. It drops off very quickly toward the end of sustaining a note. My Les Paul has a Classic '57 in the neck and a Burstbucker in the bridge. I would prefer something that augments the Classic '57 sound, or bass rather than treble.

tzd

Reaction score
Firstly in your Zoom, do you have noise gate enabled? That could kill sustain.

If you want a distortion pedal with lots of bass, Friedman BE-OD or Wampler cataPulp has lots of it.

Eric R

Reaction score
Forget the zoom all together. I'd go for a Brunetti Mercury Box every day of the week. Magnificent!!

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
Currently using a Zoom G2Nu but it does not hold the sustain very well. It drops off very quickly toward the end of sustaining a note. My Les Paul has a Classic '57 in the neck and a Burstbucker in the bridge. I would prefer something that augments the Classic '57 sound, or bass rather than treble.
Other than the sustain issue (I'd check into the noise gate as @tzd suggested), I'm not quite sure what you're looking for. From what you wrote, it seems like you want a pedal that's fairly neutral sounding and Metal Pedal's Raw Hide is excellent for that purpose (it's pretty similar to the Analogman King of Tone but with more "air" in the highs); you can set it to be pretty neutral sounding so all you're getting is your clean sound but dirtied up from the pedal. That can be good or bad depending on what you like as often times you want a dirty sound with some pronounced mids or something else if you switch the pedal on/off for dirty/clean.

If you want something with more personality, there are tons of great distortion boxes out there. Do you have a favorite guitar player whose sound you like? That would help narrow it down.

YoshiJimbo

Reaction score
Here's a couple Les Paul tones I like.

My favorite Zoom setting has Distortion, Chorus, Reverb and ZNR (which stands for Zoom Noise Reduction!) I'll turn that one off and give it a try. Thanks!

Last edited:

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
Before you turn off the noise reduction, see if it has some parameters that can be adjusted - specifically "Threshold" and "Release." Set the Threshold just above where the noise gets cut off then set the Release for a longer time as that will make the cutoff happen more gradually.

From the videos you posted, it seems like you prefer a pretty meat and potatoes, classic Les Paul/Marshall tone. For that, the Marvel Drive by Ramble FX is a great sounding pedal.

DB Chuckster

Reaction score
Had a few od/distortion pedals and a processor but they are all gone except my Boss BluesDriver because for me it just works

YoshiJimbo

Reaction score
Before you turn off the noise reduction, see if it has some parameters that can be adjusted - specifically "Threshold" and "Release." Set the Threshold just above where the noise gets cut off then set the Release for a longer time as that will make the cutoff happen more gradually.

From the videos you posted, it seems like you prefer a pretty meat and potatoes, classic Les Paul/Marshall tone. For that, the Marvel Drive by Ramble FX is a great sounding pedal.
Noise Reduction only has one parameter, threshold, abbreviated "Thrsh". I thought it stood for Thrash, another sorta' distortion. x.x

I don't get the fade I was talking about with it off, but it's also a bit noisy on picking up accidentals. I'll try turning it down some, thanks!

YoshiJimbo

Reaction score
Had a few od/distortion pedals and a processor but they are all gone except my Boss BluesDriver because for me it just works
About a year ago they had a band I'd never heard of before on Austin City Limits, Sleater Kinney. I learned their guitarist was running her SG thru a Blues Driver, thought it sounded really great.

Latest Threads