Need a new car? Don't qualify for a loan? Head over to GM!

Publius pro tem

Reaction score
302 Windsor motor, believe it's a c4 transmission.

Yeah - very few 302s had anything but a C-4 behind them.
That particular T-Bird with the FMX had a 400-M motor in it, pretty much an all-around turd.

There was a small-bellhousing C-6 that was in some trucks, and a few cars.
They were priceless in the salvage market, hot-rodders would pay a premium for them.

C-6 is really too heavy for a stock 302/351 - soaks up a lot of power that would be welcome at the rear wheels.

When the AOD came out around 1980, it was a great compromise.
Use lower rear gears for acceleration, and get the economy back with the overdrive gear.

Win/Win.

bertzie

Reaction score
I'd love to drop an AOD in her, but I don't facilities to do that kind of work here, and having a shop do it is well beyond my budget. Real shame too, since 90% of my driving is highway, and the overdrive would likely double the range of a tank of gas.

MineGoesTo11

Reaction score
Or.. for people who like new cars.

Cars are "investments", they are "expenses". If you can afford a new car, and want one, go ahead and buy it.

I say... outlaw auto loans that run more than 40 months. It's time people buy cars they can afford, and auto companies make cars that are in the realm of possiblity for people who make less than $20 an hour.

I suppose you could call it an investment, but investing in something that loses 70% of its initial value, not to mention high ongoing maintenance costs, would be extremely poor investing strategy.

LesLuvva

Reaction score
I suppose you could call it an investment, but investing in something that loses 70% of it's initial value, not to mention high ongoing maintenance costs, would be extremely poor investing strategy.

Yup - a few months back I was walking through this HUGE car sale event where I live. Dozens of dealers teamed up, there were literally thousands of cars lined up over several acres. People flocking to make their best "deal." I walked around, and all I could see was depreciating assets. Then I got home, and I looked at the line of cars out front my complex. Then I realized, I mean truly realized, that a car is merely a tool. It gets you from here to there, but mostly is sits in front of your house waiting for you.

Meanwhile, considering Neo's OP, I wonder how much longer until we inevitably hear about the "auto bubble." Wasn't that a factor in the Great Depression?

MineGoesTo11

Reaction score
Ooops. Typo. I meant to write that they AREN'T investments. I hear dummies all the time talking about how they are "investing" in a new car.

All the guys who say this don't make enough money to justify having a new car, but the marketing works wonders on them.

As for the "depreciation" of a new car. They don't "depreciate" if you never sell them. Buy new, pay cash (or pay off in 3 years).. drive into the ground. My bought-new $18,000 car will outlast (and cause me less grief) than a couple of $9,000 cars (I hope).

That's why I'm gonna drive mine until the mechanics literally refuse to work on it anymore :thumb:

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Driving a 15 year old truck. Might be buying a newish car soon, but think buying new is basically a scam if you're a working stiff like me.

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It IS a tool, and I do identify with the "buy cheap, drive it into the ground" mindset. I've had it before myself and I likely will again. Hell, I plan on driving my current bought new car into the ground. 0% financing (if you can grab it when it pops up!) is a hell of an incentive though. I've said forever that I have no problem paying money for goods and services, I still have a hard time with the concept of paying money for money.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
I
That's what it cost you for the finance guy to "help" you, and it will be WAY into the thousands.

:hmm:

Interesting. Perhaps someone who feels like messing with a salesman can go down there and find out exactly how much it is.

cwness

Reaction score
I never buy new to much of hit driving off the lot. I have great luck buy from people I know and baby their car like it's their kid. I've bought 3 ML Mercedes Benz SUV's from
one of my clients. Couple years old and the one that had the most miles on it had
a little over 13000. I haven't paid over 15,000 for any of them. I just bought his 2010
ML 62 AMG with just over 11,000 miles on it before I moved. You can't believe the money
I'ver saved on what they are new. To date the biggest amount
on repairs has been a window switch $89 and I've only had one other repair that was about
$42. Hell I'm still driving my 1995 Jeep Grande Cherokee with 240,000 on it and it runs
like a top as my daily driver. Only basic replacements parts is all it's needed and I do
the work myself. I do the same with my farm equipment.

CW

MineGoesTo11

Reaction score
I don't really baby cars. I get the oil changed regularly, wash it when it's dirty, and reluctantly fix it when it's broke (after which I feel broke and my vagina hurts).

I don't detail the inside too much because I hate doing it, but when it gets bad I vacuum and wipe down.

The car usually smells good because I don't smoke and I put one of these under the seat...

Coronado%20Cherry%20California%20Scents2.jpg

I have one scratch down the side that I have no idea where it originated, and once the driver's mirror was broken off (screw you garbage truck, I know you did it).

After a few dings, you stop worrying so much. It basic transportation, not a museum piece.

12watt

Reaction score
Selling expensive depreciating assets to people with no money can't fail.

Can you get an instant win MBA off a scratch card these days?

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Bought a brand new car in 2009. Don't baby it at all. All I care about is it starts and runs. Know why I bought brand new? Because I felt like it! There. There are benefits to buying brand new, such as more attractive rates for loans, for starters. Better insurance products available for brand new cars as well.

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
Bought a brand new car in 2009. Don't baby it at all. All I care about is it starts and runs. Know why I bought brand new? Because I felt like it! There. There are benefits to buying brand new, such as more attractive rates for loans, for starters. Better insurance products available for brand new cars as well.

buying used wouldnt have netted me a 20 year/ 200k mile warranty.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
buying used wouldnt have netted me a 20 year/ 200k mile warranty.

I have geicos extended warranty. It's only a few bucks a year. Honda has 3 years/36k which I'm already well out of.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Also there was a tax benefit in 2009 for buying a brand new car, none for used cars.

Latest Threads