Need a little (or maybe a lot?) help with an LPC p/u swap

riffwraith

Reaction score
Hi all :)

I am swapping my stock bridge p/u in my '81 LP Custom for a DimSD

First thing is first - when I try and take the p/u out of the cavity, the (braided) wire doesn't give any - it's almost as if it's too short to safely get the p/u out of that cavity. Is this normal?

Second, do I desolder the end of that wire from the pots in the rear cavity? I guess that means I have to remove the metal plate that's there?

LP-6.jpg

Third, the Dim does not have a braided wire... should it?

Last edited:

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
Yup, you need some help. Typing on my phone, so I can't go into detail.

Remove metal cover.
Desolder pick up leads from proper pots (check Google/youtube).
Pull pickup from the front cavity.
Google/youtube 4 conductor to 2 conductor. You'll need the dimarzio color codes.

Have fun with it, it's all good knowledge to acquire.

monty john

Reaction score
un solder the pu then remove

what he said.....dimarzio wire codes...one wire goes to pot the other grounded the other two taped together....if its too much hand it off to somebody else

riffwraith

Reaction score
Thx

I don't have anyone to bring this to.

I unsoldered the braided wire from the pot, and it is hooked up to the green wire (pic'd). Is that green wire hot?

lp1.jpg

So, I will snip the braided wire from the green wire, I guess.

The Dim instr says to solder b&w together, red to hot and green and bare to ground. So, if the green is hot, the red p/u wire goes to the green wire, got that. Where is ground?

strayedstrater

Reaction score
The center wire inside the braided shield looks black to me, but whatever.

Don't cut that wire and then try to solder the DiMarzio's red wire to the old wire.

Unsolder the green/black center wire from where it's connected to the pot terminal. Then solder the DiMarzio red wire directly to the pot terminal.

The ground is the back of the pot, where the braided shield was connected.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
But why are you devaluing a semi-vintage, highly desirable guitar? And are you really sure you want to go through with this?

Cjsinla

Reaction score
So, is the new pickup sounding any better than the old pickup?

riffwraith

Reaction score
The center wire inside the braided shield looks black to me, but whatever.

Don't cut that wire and then try to solder the DiMarzio's red wire to the old wire.

Unsolder the green/black center wire from where it's connected to the pot terminal. Then solder the DiMarzio red wire directly to the pot terminal.

The ground is the back of the pot, where the braided shield was connected.
Aha! Got it now - thanks so much!

Yeah - the wire looks black in the pic, I see that now. But it's actually green.

And are you really sure you want to go through with this?
Yep!

But why are you devaluing a semi-vintage, highly desirable guitar?
B/c I want to really enjoy it. I don't want to sit there, playing it, thinking it could sound better, but no - I don't want to devalue the guitar! I will enjoy it less to keep the value @ 100%.

Why would anyone say that?

It's hard to put into words how awesome this guitar is, and althogh I am a big fan of never say never, I am never selling this. Besides, I am not chucking the orig. p/u; I can always put it back.

Cheers.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Awesome!

I kind of feel it's obligatory to mention that modifying a 40 year old guitar that looks all original is a big step and you should be absolutely sure you want to do it.

But frankly, it's weird to me that '70s/'80s Gibson pickups are revered nowadays. DiMarzio and Duncan started as one man operations and grew into huge businesses during that era because so many players were dissatisfied with stock Gibsons.

Super Distortion in the bridge of an LPC is a classic combination that's thrilled millions of listeners.

Latest Threads