>>>> Need a grunge style AMP +- $1000....Recommend one...... <<<<

StoneVinyl

Reaction score
Hello all,

First post, and a new member to what I have found to be an oustanding site.
I'm looking for advice selecting a new AMP setup and my budget is <$1000.

*I live in hawaii, the island I live there are no places to try out different amps-I'll need your advice...

A little about me, just purchased a new LP 2012 standard, and practice at home with my headphone amp and headphones...no real amp yet.

My friends and I are starting a band and we do grunge music covers.
--foo fighters/audioslave/sound garden/nirvana is our music of choice tho we are working on developing our own grunge sound...(yep we're 90's throbacks...)

So I need an AMP setup for that type of sound, particually for band practice,enough to cover the drums and playing small bar gigs/parties--not a home amp as I use the headphones for that.
Maybe 15W - 50W....? Combo or stack, either one.....Advice?

steadyriot

Reaction score
Well, any amp will get you in that direction if you use it the right way!
Many of the "post-grunge" bands use Mesa's these days but those are a bit out of your price range.
Maybe look at Orange? They have a big following in that corner of music I believe, they have a 30 watt head in your price range.
A Marshall will always work to!
I would basically suggest you go to a music store and try out the tube amps in your price range to see what really works for you.
Good Luck! :thumb:

james beam

Banned
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBEfaobG0zA]Carvin X100B Demo #2 - YouTube[/ame] ,
, 100 watts , head , and cab , $1069.00

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Get a Marshall DSL40C, and maybe an extra 1x12 cabinet to put under it later on down the line if you need it. This has two channels and both channels have 2 modes, which are Clean/Crunch on the Classic Gain channel and Lead1/Lead2 on the Ultra Gain channel as well as a bunch of other options to get a variety of tones. A Marshall with EL34's is perfect for Grunge and a bunch of stuff as well. You also have the Pentode/Triode so you can run it with half the watts, so you have 20w for band practice and smaller gigs, then there is 40w for larger gigs.

Marshall DSL40C 40W All-Tube 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp | Musician's Friend

Edit: +1 on what Comanche says below, there is the Blackstar HT40 Club, which is a more modern gain tone, and sounds great plus there is the matching HTV 112 cabinet to give you a 2x12 which is very sweet.

LongBeach

Reaction score
With a grand, you have a lot of options on the used market.

Good luck!

Kalz

Reaction score
I vote for the orange as well. Get a Dual Terror head and get a used/cheap cabinet and you should be set :thumb:

John

Reaction score
Oranges or Peaveys should have you covered at that range.

Syn

Reaction score
JCM2000 DSL paired with a couple of V30's and a TS808 will get you anything! It won't break the bank so you could even get a great Chorus pedal for grunge-y cleans and leads.

cbryan

Reaction score
Orange terror (tiny may be enough for your needs if you don't need it to be clean at drummer/club volumes). Tone wise these are great for the kinds of bands you mentioned. I play lots of pearl jam, nirvana, mudhoney, and I can usually find the tones I want. I have a bad monkey od pedal as well, you may want to consider a fuzz-face type also.

Dools

Reaction score
A Phaez Daisycutter would be perfect for Grunge or a Phaez SIBLY. You can pick up some nice speakers and make it your own for well under $1000 and you'll never look for another amp again. Guaranteed!!!! Well maybe not Guaranteed but close to it.

Oh and WELCOME to MLP!!!!

carydad

Reaction score
Mini mesa! I love mine. The new blackstar ID is tempting. Loved the solist 60 I had. Well under your price.

You need to think about few other things. Where are you gonna play it-how much amp is enough. Only guitar play(i.e. seether), or two(pearl jam). Mainly to determine the need of an inboard or outboard boost.

End of the day, you can make almost anything work. Seether uses Mesa's, PJ dudes use all sorts of stuff, AIC is a bogner guy but he mixes is up with some marsha stuff too. So mesa/marshall/whatever. Besides, grunge is half attitude, half loud/quiet times in tunes.

StoneVinyl

Reaction score
Really great feedback from everyone..I really appreciate your advice.....

I am steering toward Orange and Mesa now.....
*seriously considering getting a good(decent) head with the money I have now, and save a little for a nice cab......
-any advice....?

SirJackdeFuzz

Reaction score
You can NOT go wrong with a VMT 60W head.

They are cheap, reliable, sounds great, and screams GRUNGE.

Latest Threads