Need a 2x12 cab...advice???

Shades of Blue

Reaction score
I currently have a Mesa 1x12 cab with a Vintage 30 that I'm trying to sell in favor of a 2x12. I just want a bigger sound.

I'm looking at the Marshall MC212, but it is wired for a 4 ohm mono load, and most of my amps are 8 ohm. Could I just replace the speakers with 16 ohm speakers instead of the stock 8 ohm speakers?

Or, should I splurge and get a Marshall 1936 cab? I want a great sound but I really don't have more than about $350-400.

The PRS SE 2x12 cab interests me, as well possibly a Marshall M412.

Rhust

Reaction score
you could check CL for a used Peavey 4x12, I've seen 2-3 locally for 200-300...

for a budget 2x12, I'd build one... it's not difficult. specs are online, and the bulk of you $ goes into quality, not name.

stephenwz968

Reaction score
I have a Marshall TSL2000 2 x 12 cabinet that goes with a TSL head, and I picked it up on craigslist for $200 - I have since swapped some Jensen Mod50 speakers into it, but deals are out there for used cabs.

If you want new, I had Bob at Sourmash build me a cab for my 18 watt clone, and it's fantastic.

Shades of Blue

Reaction score
you could check CL for a used Peavey 4x12, I've seen 2-3 locally for 200-300...

for a budget 2x12, I'd build one... it's not difficult. specs are online, and the bulk of you $ goes into quality, not name.

That's a great point. I know that I could do it, but is the materials cost going to be about the same as buying a decent cab? If I could come out under $200 in materials it really seems the way to go.

Rhust

Reaction score
materials, you are looking at 1 sheet of 4x8 birch plywood - about $20 IIRC
glue, stain, screws(butt joint is easiest, and if you cover with tolex or ? it will not be seen)
so you are looking at $40 tops

then your speakers that you want... which is really where the $ goes... 2 v30s would be under the 200... or 2 eminence... weber/scumback might be a hair more... but you are talking about a cab you could keep forever.

eaglewolf

Reaction score
I had a Bluesbreaker-style cab built for me by Sourmash last year and was very pleased with the results. It cost me $230 for the cab, $15 for the convertible option, $42 for shipping from the East Coast to Southern Califorinia, and then $200 for Scumback H55/H75 speakers. I bought some wire and connectors and wired up a cab I'm very pleased with.

There are cheaper options for the speakers (WGS comes to mind) that could further reduce the cost. Ditch the convertible option if you are not going to switch between open back and closed back, and shipping to South Carolina may be cheaper than for us left coasters.

If you can build it yourself that's even better, but I will say Bob at Sourmash does an excellent job for a very reasonable price if you prefer to have someone else do it for you.

David

Shades of Blue

Reaction score
So would I be an idiot for selling a Mesa 1x12 for an Avatar or other brand 2x12? A 1x12 sure is convenient, but I play at home 90% of the time so it's not like I'd be transporting the 2x12 much, and a 2x12 would look cooler with my Class 5 head I have incoming :)

xsouldriverx

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would say call a local guitar shop or gc and see if they have any 2x12 and try it out. From there you will know if you need that much or how they sound. You can also get an idea how an avatar, sourmash, or others will sound. Also there seems to be a lot of love for 2x10s lately too.
Also does your mesa have a back that can come off? Can you try plaging it with the back off to see how it sounds. It may fill the room more adlnd be fuller.

Shades of Blue

Reaction score
I would say call a local guitar shop or gc and see if they have any 2x12 and try it out. From there you will know if you need that much or how they sound. You can also get an idea how an avatar, sourmash, or others will sound. Also there seems to be a lot of love for 2x10s lately too.
Also does your mesa have a back that can come off? Can you try plaging it with the back off to see how it sounds. It may fill the room more adlnd be fuller.

I've owned a Jet City 2x12 in the past, and it sounded full, but I can't really judge it because it had stock Jet City Eminence speakers which I thought sounded like crap.

My Mesa 1x12 is open back, and I much prefer open back cabs.

Couldn'tStandTheWeather

Reaction score
If I were in the market for a 2x12, I would take a look at Avatar cabs. You can choose what speakers go in it and they are very affordable, and from what I've heard, sound excellent.

JMV

Reaction score
Aside from finding a good deal on a local, used 2x12 I would go with Sourmash. I've bought a number of cabs from him over the past few years and have been VERY pleased with the quality. And the price is really tough to beat.

qpHalcy0n

Reaction score
A sheet of quality grade birch ply (13 ply) will run you about twice that ($40-60). You can get regular ol' 7-ply if you want from Home Depot or Lowe's even for half of that.

Avatar is a good value, and if you stalk ebay or craigslist long enough, you're bound to run up on one.

If you're feeling adventurous and want to build your own and want all the fixins (tolex/vinyl, grill cloth, etc...), you might expect about $100-$140 total in parts presuming you use a high quality birch ply. There are all sorts of speaker deals on ebay and such. I've got a pair of 8 ohm V30's if you want them for $150.

MadJack

Reaction score
I work on a tight budget. I'm planning on a Vox Night Train NT15H fo my main head. It has both 8Ω and 16Ω output jacks. I currently have a pair of Lil' Night Trains that use 16Ω cabs, one of which is a Kustom Defender 1X12" with the 16Ω WGS 12" Reaper 30.I plan on getting another Kustom cab and install either a Green Beret or Veteran 30 to balance out the tone and use a Y plug (parallel) and run it in the 8Ω jack. You could always ge another cab that you currently run and do the same.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
If you could save just a little more and can wait a little, I would look for a used Mesa Rectifier vertical 2x12. Just about all the thump of a 4x12, you can put a full size head on it, it comes with some of the best casters money can buy AND it fits in the backseat of your car with ease.

Latest Threads