Need a 1999 SG Control Cavity Cover

realjimjim

Reaction score
A guy gave me a 1999 SG in pieces the other day. I had enough junk here to get it up and running but there is no rear cover plate.

As far as my google search tells me . . . they don't exist anymore.

Any ideas on what to use to make one? Where to get templates, materials, etc?

Thanks for any help.

KRaZeE

Reaction score
I'm sure if you can't find one floating around on fleaBay, someone like Terrapin can cut one for you. Which model SG? I definitely have some of that vintage and, if I have one of the same model, could get you a tracing to send whoever you use, should they need it.

realjimjim

Reaction score
I'm sure if you can't find one floating around on fleaBay, someone like Terrapin can cut one for you. Which model SG? I definitely have some of that vintage and, if I have one of the same model, could get you a tracing to send whoever you use, should they need it.

It is the Special (I think) open humbuckers, dot fretboard, no binding, chrome hardware, full batwing pickguard. Oh, and creame/off white finish.

Thanks for the help!

JJ

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've made decent cavity covers from plexiglas I found at Lowes/Home Depot. You just need to trace the outline on a piece of paper and transfer to the material.

P1050462_zps6e2e9baa.jpg

P1050464_zps3012d0b6.jpg

KRaZeE

Reaction score
Yup, that's a Special. I'll pull out my 93 Special and 94 Standard, which should have the same pickguard as yours as well as each other, and compare it to my 02 Voodoo and 08 Classic. I don't think much changed, but that will give me some good book ends to your Special and then I'll rip a trace, scan it and post it once I wake up this evening.

realjimjim

Reaction score
Yup, that's a Special. I'll pull out my 93 Special and 94 Standard, which should have the same pickguard as yours as well as each other, and compare it to my 02 Voodoo and 08 Classic. I don't think much changed, but that will give me some good book ends to your Special and then I'll rip a trace, scan it and post it once I wake up this evening.

Wow! Thanks for the help. You're too kind.

KRaZeE

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the help. You're too kind.

No trouble at all...glad to help. I got it traced, but had to run into work early this evening. I'll get her scanned for you as soon as I get home in the morning, so you can make sure it matches up and get rockin and rollin! :dude:

KRaZeE

Reaction score
Well, the good news...the cover should fit fine. The same one that is on my 93 Special is also on my 94 Standard and on my 02 Voodoo. The bad news...for some reason my scanner no longer wants to interact with Win7 anymore, so now I am fighting with drivers. Stay tuned! :fingersx:

KRaZeE

Reaction score
Great success! :thumb: I bittch-slapped that scanner until it behaved. Here ya go...hope it helps!

KRaZeE

Reaction score
Oh, and before I forget, you probably already know, but the screw head areas are all inset, like this:

01%20_090.jpg

Latest Threads