Necks: 50's rounded vs 60's slim.

Which neck profile do you prefer on a Les Paul and/or SG?

• 50s rounded profile neck.

Votes: 103 56.9%
  • 60s slim prifile neck.

Votes: 78 43.1%

• Total voters

DDLP

Reaction score
I like 50's style the bigger the better. My '01 Historic Goldtop has the biggest neck of any guitar I've ever played. Truly a baseball bat & I love it! I have smaller hands, but for whatever reason, probably my technique, smaller thinner necks make my hand cramp up.

jamman

Reaction score
I play both , but when i can choose I wll always go with the 60's neck . And love 1 that has a flatter neck to go with it . Those allow me to play to me all that I can . Big fat necks , (and i like them also, just not as much) make playing what I know i can, more difficult .
I've passed on many beatiful , fine fat neck guitars 'cause they are a Bi**h to play (for me )

ToneasaurusRex

Reaction score
Does anyone else besides me think that there's not so much difference between these two modern profiles? I find the 50s a little thicker and the 60s a little thinner, but it's not a huge difference to me.

The only re-issue I ever played was an R7 or R8, I can't remember. But it had a very thick neck, much thicker than the modern profile Gibson is calling "50s."

tcdrover

Reaction score
I've got a traditional from this year with the 50's neck, a 60's tribute with the slimmer 60's neck and a swampash studio that was supposed to be a 50's neck but is really something in between.

I prefer the thicker 50's neck.

I like them all but the thicker neck is more comfortable for me.

Prometheus

Reaction score
60's slim all the way
since I've small hands, 50's profile is just too fat for me to shred
if it was only for playing chords all day long, I can do with 50's baseball profile as well...

Roach0

Reaction score
I have large hands and play a slim neck. My son has been playing a 50's fat neck since he was 9. His fingers a like mine now but he had small hans when he started. We both have a strat also which has more of a slim neck. I think it's a matter if learning to like a certain profile. The one (s) you play alot will soon start feeling preferable.

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

BuddyHollywood

Reaction score
I broke my elbow in my early 20's and over the years have noticed that my arm hurts and my hand cramps up in just a few minutes if I play slim necks.

I prefer a 50's profile neck. I love the neck on my 2011 50's Tribute

DSC05252_zps6ca5a3ae.jpg

budg

Reaction score
I have wondered if there is some validity to hand size, neck measurements, comfort and use. Its interesting that most the bowlers I know get their hands and ball accurately measured for the best results but as far as I know there is no such system regarding guitars??

spoony
I think it has more to how the neck fits in the palm of your hand , rather than overall hand size. I have fairly small hands with sausage fingers. Thicker necks are more comfortable to me .

Spot

Reaction score
Never been a chubby-chaser, always prefered handling the slimmer ones. Slender is sexy.

I like my guitar necks the same way.

mdubya

Reaction score
1. I don't know why anyone would care what neck profile I prefer? :hmm: Bored? Lonely? :naughty:

2. I prefer a rounded 50's neck, but nothing ridiculous.

3. I own or have owned variations of both profiles and in between

My Epiphone Sheraton has a slim 60's neck front to back, which is also very wide, and it has fat, chunky shoulders. It takes some getting used to. Oddly, it is, overall, the biggest neck of all my guitars, in some ways.

My SG Classic has a chunky neck, with mild shoulders and plenty of girth. I love it; kind of a fat 60's profile. I might like it better if it had a little less shoulder.

My SG Special, has a very comfortable rounded 50's neck.

My former LP 50's Tribute has an almost perfect rounded 50's neck, not too fat at all. Very comfortable. It could have maybe been just a sliver wider, but no complaints.

Brutalisateur

Reaction score
has anyone else make the same observation ?
I have noticed people with small hand an short fingers ( myself incl' ) tend to play with the thumb high on the back of the neck and prefer 50's necks, while people with longer fingers tend to place the tip of the thumb in the centre of the neck ( textbook style ) an prefer slimer necks,

I play thumb-over like this:

thumb-mute2.jpg

and its only slightly more comfortable with a thin and narrow neck. I do the same thing with the gigantic neck on my R7BB and I dont think I play any worse.

truckermde

Reaction score
Rat's ass.

I have huge hands, and no handicap for playing different sized necks.

Asymmetrical wins hands down for comfort, IMHO...

bigsnaketex

Reaction score
I have huge hands and love a Nocaster U neck.......so on my LP's I like the 50's necks best.

Thinner necks give me hand cramps.

teaburstlp

Reaction score
50's although the 60/30 on the ES-339's are perfect. I wish Gibson would put those out on a LP.

Custom53

Reaction score
Should have been a third option.. The '59 Neck.. To me all the '50s neck seem to big, the '60s too small, but the '59 is just like what Little Red Riding Hood said.. This is just right..!

mrrstrat

Reaction score
50s is one of those things that only still happens because Good Ol' Boys won't have anything else; same as nitro finishes.

Shame really, as 60s is better. The fans always want to hold back innovation, even when it happened in the 60s.

I guess it's a vibe thing: I wanted a 'traditional' 50s les Paul so I can make it play music it was never designed for...some guys take it even farther. I don't think that les Paul ever though in 60 years after he invented his guitar it would be used to play such unfathomable music.

I guess if I wanted a modern ergonomic guitar I would have a whole fleet of Parker Flys...

rjshare

Reaction score
Should have been a third option.. The '59 Neck.. To me all the '50s neck seem to big, the '60s too small, but the '59 is just like what Little Red Riding Hood said.. This is just right..!

It was goldilocks that said that. I have a 4 year old daughter :thumb:

Mordor

Reaction score
my LP has a 60s, I've never tried the 50s, but although I would really like to try it, I'm really digging the '60s.

Latest Threads