Neck tone control not working

burstone

Reaction score
Neck tone on one of my LPs doesn't seem to be working. Nothing happens when I turn the knob from 10 to 0. Neck tone pot measures out at 528K using a multimeter. Does this mean the neck tone cap is dead or there's a cold solder joint between the cap and the pot(s)? Also, when I tap on the pickup covers, the neck pup sounds quieter and less microphonic than the bridge pup which sounds much louder. Yet, when I play plugged in, the neck pup sounds fine to me except for the tone control not working. What do you tech savvy guys think is going on?

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
Open it up and check for any loose connections. A few years ago I bought a used guitar and didn't know that the tone knob didn't work until I got it home. I took off the pickguard and found that one of the legs of the capacitor had come loose. Looked like it barely had any solder on it to begin with. I soldered it back in place and was back in business - easy. You may have a different problem, but I'd still start by looking for loose connections in your control cavity.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neck tone on one of my LPs doesn't seem to be working. Nothing happens when I turn the knob from 10 to 0. Neck tone pot measures out at 528K using a multimeter. Does this mean the neck tone cap is dead or there's a cold solder joint between the cap and the pot(s)? Also, when I tap on the pickup covers, the neck pup sounds quieter and less microphonic than the bridge pup which sounds much louder. Yet, when I play plugged in, the neck pup sounds fine to me except for the tone control not working. What do you tech savvy guys think is going on?
Loose connection between cap and pot or bad ground connection on tone pot.

Recklessrog

Reaction score
Open it up and check for any loose connections. A few years ago I bought a used guitar and didn't know that the tone knob didn't work until I got it home. I took off the pickguard and found that one of the legs of the capacitor had come loose. Looked like it barely had any solder on it to begin with. I soldered it back in place and was back in business - easy. You may have a different problem, but I'd still start by looking for loose connections in your control cavity.
I dont think removing the pickgaurd will reveal much lol, you mean the control cavity cover :)

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think removing the pickgaurd will reveal much lol, you mean the control cavity cover :)
I think he meant that the guitar he bought was a style that had pickguard mounted controls, not specifically referencing the OP's guitar.

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
EpiLP1985 is correct, my own guitar that I was referring to was a Squier Jazzmaster Vintage Modified series, so the controls were pickguard-mounted. Also, they were concetric pots, which was interesting as it allowed for a volume and a tone control for each pickup. But yes, OP will want to remove his control cavity cover from his LP.

burstone

Reaction score
Thanks gents.
I'll look inside and poke around the cavity again. When I did last time when measuring the pot, everything seemed fine including all the solder joints, that's why I wondered if the cap is dead since the pot produced a reading of 528K. Maybe unsoldering and resoldering the joints would solve the problem. Did that with one of my teles when the neck pup all of a sudden dropped in volume and it came back to normal after unsoldering and resoldering.

Roxy13

Reaction score
The last one I had here with that issue, the ground to lug connection had broken. This is why I use small pieces of bus wire to ground the lugs instead of bending them back.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ Yep, had that a few times.
Also - I had a strat where everything looked quite fine, but the control didn't work. Re-flowing the joints made the control work again. Moral of the story, you can have electrical issues that a visual inspection is incapable of detecting

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
Before heating the pot, ensure it is rotated to the 0 position. If it gets overheated, the race won't get burned in a critical area.

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Q. Does it sound dark like the tone control is full on?
A. Cap lead touching ground wire

Q. Or still bright and tone not working?
A. Cold solder joint, broken cap lead, bad cap.

Latest Threads