Neck Surgery

firesgt911

Reaction score
I had neck surgery on the 19th, and now...I feel pretty damn good. They removed the disc and added a titanium joint with a polymer ball thing, so I have a little more mobility. I was walking around a few hours after they cut on me. Now I have to take it easy for a few weeks, and it's back to work. I am excited to get back to doing all the things I lost to the neck problem. Anyways, gonna go take a happy pill and explore the new forum format.

TheX

Don't look directly at edro!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my best friends had the same thing done, changed his life. Follow through with all PT and stay active and fit.

firesgt911

Reaction score
That's the plan. I'm looking forward to more gym time. My physical therapist is super hot too, so I'm motivated.

sk8rat

Reaction score
pretty freaky stuff but good to hear you are recovering well.

firesgt911

Reaction score
pretty freaky stuff but good to hear you are recovering well.
The freaky part is they go through the front of the neck! I've got a pretty gnarly incision which I suspect is gonna be a rough scar, that's about two inches wide near my Adam's apple.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had neck surgery on the 19th, and now...I feel pretty damn good. They removed the disc and added a titanium joint with a polymer ball thing, so I have a little more mobility. I was walking around a few hours after they cut on me. Now I have to take it easy for a few weeks, and it's back to work. I am excited to get back to doing all the things I lost to the neck problem. Anyways, gonna go take a happy pill and explore the new forum format.

Hell to the yeah.... Been there, but some years back... I see the surgery is more advanced now.

Happy for you! Hope the best....

meatball

Reaction score
Had the same surgery in 1994 ,,, same place ,, C2 /C3 took a dump on me ,,, havent had a problem since that day they put me under for the surgery ,,, best thing I could ever do,, please be glad it was upper spine and not lower spine ,which will be more problems later in lie ....

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
4&5 here... looks like another in the near future...
Nerve damage finally healed for the most part from neck injury years back...
Not bad for ~0% chance of healing... :)

Life is good...

Nard

Reaction score
I have cervical spongilitis (I think that's what the doc said). Basically the discs in my neck have dried out. The discs in my lower back are in the same condition so I'm relying on the middle bit to keep me moving. I'd love some surgery if would sort my problems out. Glad to hear yours is going well. Stay healthy bro.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When my neck doc told me exactly what he was gonna do, I freely admit you couldn't have driven a ten penny nail up my ass with a sledge hammer.... :)

redcoats1976

Reaction score
ive had neck problems/arthritis for years,not getting any better.

firesgt911

Reaction score
I tell you what, I have had deminishing use of my right hand since January. That's meant no riding my motorcycle, playing guitar comfortably and no shooting. All of my hobbies have been taken away. Although I was apprehensive about having him cut a 2 1/2 inch slit through the front of my neck, pushing my trachea and windpipe out of the way, mechanically separating my spine and installing titanium in place of my disc with self tapping screws....I said let's do it! I gotta get my life back and I am already seeing the benefits. I still don't have feeling back in my right hand, and it may not return. I still feel it has helped. After all of the issues with my lumbar and the fractures in my thorasic region, this has just been the icing on the cake. After my full MRI my surgeon got excited. He said over the next 10-20 years he gets to put a lot more titanium in my back. LOL He said I'm good for business. (To clarify, I'm an employee of the hospital and have a relationship with the staff and this doc that makes dark sense of humor appropriate)

I am feeling pretty good now. I'm feeling like I'll be back on my bike in a month or two. In a couple week I should be able to strap on a guitar and take the 22's to the range. Things are looking up.

firesgt911

Reaction score
ive had neck problems/arthritis for years,not getting any better.
That's terrible. That's how my lumbar spine has been. Nothing has helped there. Wishing you luck and sending positive vibes, for what that's worth.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tell you what, I have had deminishing use of my right hand since January. That's meant no riding my motorcycle, playing guitar comfortably and no shooting. All of my hobbies have been taken away. Although I was apprehensive about having him cut a 2 1/2 inch slit through the front of my neck, pushing my trachea and windpipe out of the way, mechanically separating my spine and installing titanium in place of my disc with self tapping screws....I said let's do it! I gotta get my life back and I am already seeing the benefits. I still don't have feeling back in my right hand, and it may not return. I still feel it has helped. After all of the issues with my lumbar and the fractures in my thorasic region, this has just been the icing on the cake. After my full MRI my surgeon got excited. He said over the next 10-20 years he gets to put a lot more titanium in my back. LOL He said I'm good for business. (To clarify, I'm an employee of the hospital and have a relationship with the staff and this doc that makes dark sense of humor appropriate)

I am feeling pretty good now. I'm feeling like I'll be back on my bike in a month or two. In a couple week I should be able to strap on a guitar and take the 22's to the range. Things are looking up.

Hang in there!

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
With the VA having tentatively approved my hip replacement (pending lab work showing better platelet levels in my blood, etc), I'm looking forward to getting back on a mountain bike.

May you have a full and speedy recovery, Firedog.

TheX

Don't look directly at edro!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the VA having tentatively approved my hip replacement (pending lab work showing better platelet levels in my blood, etc), I'm looking forward to getting back on a mountain bike.

Kick ass!

Latest Threads