Neck shims..............

Bluesky

Reaction score
I recently got a custom bolt on (tele semi hollow) built by a custom builder. Been seeing a bunch of really good players all using his guitars sop decided to give it a go last year.

LOVE the guitar . However I decided to make a few changes. Not because of anything the builder did...........he followed my instructions to the T. But I need to change it up some. So while taking it apart I discovered a few paper thin neck shims under the neck. (3) The guitar really plays well , its loud for a semi Hollow too. Playability is sick, I really dig it. But should a really Pro Luther need neck shims in his pocket? Should I feel slighted ? Granted its not a $6,000 Custom shop.....cost lees then half that. Im not soured on the guitar , it was handmade made head to toe. Am I being unfair?

ARandall

Reaction score
This sort of topic reminds me of a satirist type pedal YouTube video.....one of the situations being an audience member saying 'I thought the tone was awesome until I found out he was using pedals'

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A way of fine-tuning the neck pitch.... Not an issue....actually less an issue than not-an-issue....

As far as mechanical conductance, shims are sandwiched between wood held together under pressure by four screws.... Acts like it was one chunk...

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Necks and bodies and the wood change with age and humidity levels. The bolt on gives you the option to deal with it, rather than have to remove reset the neck. Perfectly normal and acceptable.

Bluesky

Reaction score
Cool . Thanks for the input. I've taken so many guitars apart .........guess just my luck the ones with issues usually have neck shims. What I'm figuring out is the those guitars had further issues and they tried to fix it with the shims and it was a no Bueno situation. So I guess I got an negative connotation for em. This guitar plays beautifully so I took note of the way they went in and ill put them right back. :yesway:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Necks and bodies and the wood change with age and humidity levels. The bolt on gives you the option to deal with it, rather than have to remove reset the neck. Perfectly normal and acceptable.
Yep.
It's one reason that most set-neck guitars have a bridge with a much wider range of adjustment.
Tune-O-Matic, common archtop ebony base with studs, etc... Good 1/2" of adjustment available on those.

Compare to a Strat or Tele where from top to bottom on the grub screws, you *might* have 1/4" of adjustment (or less), and then you find when the saddle is bottomed out, you don't have sufficient break angle, and end up getting a sitar effect.

And yes, the builder *could* carefully fit the neck to the pocket in a way that will produce an ideal saddle height without shims, it is wood, and it will move, so the shims may eventually be needed anyways.
And as you said... it's not a $6,000 guitar, which is the range you might be to get a perfectly fitted neck from most builder.

Latest Threads