Neck pickup works fine, bridge pickup doesnt?? Wired correctly!

wattledbag4766

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been really confused lately as to why my SG's bridge pickup is not working. I just installed it, and the neck works fine loud and clear.
The middle position is just the neck. The bridge however has zero sound, not a single bit. It worked fine in the previous guitar it was installed to. When I disconnect the pin connector, the bridge has a buzzing sound, when it is connected, the bridge is quiet. Very strange. I matched all the wiring exactly to how it was in the previous guitar, and there everything worked fine. Anyone have any ideas or clues as to what may be the problem? I thought the bridge volume pot was fried, so I replaced it with a brand new volume pot, and still the same issue.

Here are some photos:
Thank you in advance for your help!

wattledbag4766

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been really confused lately as to why my SG's bridge pickup is not working. I just installed it, and the neck works fine loud and clear.
The middle position is just the neck. The bridge however has zero sound, not a single bit. It worked fine in the previous guitar it was installed to. When I disconnect the pin connector, the bridge has a buzzing sound, when it is connected, the bridge is quiet. Very strange. I matched all the wiring exactly to how it was in the previous guitar, and there everything worked fine. Anyone have any ideas or clues as to what may be the problem? I thought the bridge volume pot was fried, so I replaced it with a brand new volume pot, and still the same issue.

Here are some photos:
To be clear, the pickups and wiring are the exact same that were in a Les Paul previously.

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know enough about wiring, but do you have a multimeter, or any other tool to check for a complete circuit between the two pickup leads? Heaven forbid the internal pup coil wires has a break. If you know there is a circuit between the bridge pups two ends...

Have you double checked for dust, lint, and/or corrosion in the connector which could block a circuit? Could the metal in the connector be bent so that no current can flow? Could one of the wires on either one of the connectors slipped back, preventing contact?

Could there be a short?

That's all I can think of. I hope it is an easy fix.

wattledbag4766

Reaction score
I don't know enough about wiring, but do you have a multimeter, or any other tool to check for a complete circuit between the two pickup leads? Heaven forbid the internal pup coil wires has a break. If you know there is a circuit between the bridge pups two ends...

Have you double checked for dust, lint, and/or corrosion in the connector which could block a circuit? Could the metal in the connector be bent so that no current can flow? Could one of the wires on either one of the connectors slipped back, preventing contact?

Could there be a short?

That's all I can think of. I hope it is an easy fix.
Multimeter says that the pickups are alive. Changed out the pots to new ones, even used electric circuit cleaner on the first one and still no signal. Re-soldered all my joints, but I simply do not know what could be the issue. I am gonna assume the pickup is somehow malfunctioning. Super strange! Although I will check the wires again, 99% sure everything is making contact.

Thanks for the tips!!!

wattledbag4766

Reaction score
Did you check the switch?
The switch, from what I can tell is in fine working order. It turns to neck and middle. The solder joints are clean, and it is not broken by any means. The cabling looks intact on all sides. I really think it is something internal in the pickup at this point, but I could be wrong.

I will recheck the switch though, thanks for the tip!

the great waldo

Reaction score
It looks to me like your shorting the tone pot lug (bottom left) against the screening paint in the control cavity!! Losen the pot nut and twist the pot lugs away from the screening paint and make sure that none of the lugs and solder is touching the screening paint. Insulate with masking tape thin plasic sheet or card ot whatever.
Cheers
Andrew

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has the bridge pickup ever worked?

ARandall

Reaction score
Do these in order:

Wire the pickup to the jack - test through amp
Wire pickup to its V+T knobs and then to jack -test through amp

If it passes both of these its the switch....remember the switch is a physical object as well as an electronic one. You need to make sure both are doing what they should in (de)selecting the pickups.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Stupid question, but where does your jack ground wire connect to any of the pots?

It looks to me as best I can see that it goes straight into the plug harness and grounds the switch frame.

But that's it.

I see your pots are all grounded to each other through wiring of some sort, but I cannot see where the jack ground connects to any of them.

the great waldo

Reaction score
Multimeter says that the pickups are alive. Changed out the pots to new ones, even used electric circuit cleaner on the first one and still no signal. Re-soldered all my joints, but I simply do not know what could be the issue. I am gonna assume the pickup is somehow malfunctioning. Super strange! Although I will check the wires again, 99% sure everything is making contact.

Thanks for the tips!!!
Your tone pot lug is shorting out against the screening paint !!! check it !!! Put some tape or card between the pots and sides of the cavity!!! if that doesnt work check the switch,clean in between the contacts with some 1200 wet and dry paper and contact cleaner. chinese switches are notorius espescially epiphone ones.
Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
Your tone pot lug is shorting out against the screening paint !!! check it !!! Put some tape or card between the pots and sides of the cavity!!! if that doesnt work check the switch,clean in between the contacts with some 1200 wet and dry paper and contact cleaner. chinese switches are notorius espescially epiphone ones.
Cheers
Andrew
Agreed!

Rotate that tone pot first. I looked at the pic in another tab so I could enlarge it and it does seem to be touching the side of the cavity.

Then check the switch if that doesn't solve it.

Rotorhead

Reaction score
I had a similar problem on my guitar years ago. It fixed itself when I remembered to turn the volume knob up on that pup...

the great waldo

Reaction score
I had a similar problem on my guitar years ago. It fixed itself when I remembered to turn the volume knob up on that pup...
I did that 35 years ago , 2 days troubleshooting to change a pickup !!!! You only do that once !!!
Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Adinol

Reaction score
I have to run and don't have time to read through all post.

Just some general advice for wiring repair.

You need a multimeter, so you can check continuity (when it beeps the connection is good).

A soldering iron, of course,

You'll also need jumper cables with alligator clips, so you can make connections before you solder.

And you should also have a standard output jack onto which you solder two lead wires with alligator clips, so, for example you can simple tap into a pickup (sometimes you'll have to un-solder one of the wires, the hot one, to take the p-up out of circuit).

Through process of elimination you should be able to pinpoint the problem.

Hope this helps.

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have been really confused lately as to why my SG's bridge pickup is not working.
Have you had time to work on this? I hope the fix is as simple as the great waldo suggested, insulation between the tone pot and the cavity wall. Whether troubleshooting a car, a computer, a commode, a firearm, or a guitar, it is always frustrating as hell when the solution eludes.

the great waldo

Reaction score

Here are some photos:
Did you find out what the problem was?
Cheers
Andrew

wattledbag4766

Reaction score
Did you find out what the problem was?
Cheers
Andrew
My apologies! I thought I pressed "Post reply" last time. Guess not. So the issue was that the flippin' pot was touching the paint inside the cavity. I went through all the hassle of checkingg out pickups, resoldering all the wires, using different pickups when the issue was right in front of me and so simple. Thank you for your help and suggestions Andrew, I REALLY WISH I DID THAT FIRST BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE haha! and thanks to everyone else as well! Quite the learning experience. But i am happy I went through it

the great waldo

Reaction score
My apologies! I thought I pressed "Post reply" last time. Guess not. So the issue was that the flippin' pot was touching the paint inside the cavity. I went through all the hassle of checkingg out pickups, resoldering all the wires, using different pickups when the issue was right in front of me and so simple. Thank you for your help and suggestions Andrew, I REALLY WISH I DID THAT FIRST BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE haha! and thanks to everyone else as well! Quite the learning experience. But i am happy I went through it
I'm glad you got it working, that bloody conductive paint they use has caught me out a couple of times.
Cheers
Andrew

Latest Threads