Neck Pickup Epiphany

Latearrival

Reaction score
Set it so it sounds right! I like my neck pick-up to give a smooth, "Flutey" tone, and use it almost exclusively for lead playing. I find this works best when the strings are slightly further from the PU.I don't see any point in taking measurements, when tone is the desired result!

Guitpicky

Reaction score
With humbuckers I start at about 3/32” and go up and down a little to find the sweet spot.

FWIW trivia...

The difference in measuring systems comes from within us. Our brain (intellect) measures things empirically using metrics. Our heart (intuition) measures things in harmonic proportion or musical measures. Loosely speaking, the brain measures quantities and the heart measures quality.

The metric system is just called the metric system, the ancient system the USA uses is called “earth measures” because the units of measurement are all in harmonic proportion to, or fractions of actual earth measurements.

Metrics are best for measuring things in isolation, harmonics are best when measuring relationships between those things. Relationships can only be numerically represented as ratios, or fractions.

Our brain measures things in space and our heart measures things in time. You can measure a guitar in metrics, but try measuring the music it plays that way and you’ll see what I mean :)

Last edited:

mdubya

Reaction score
There is a technique, using your ears, you can try.

Plug in to a clean amp with some volume (barely on won't work, but painfully loud isn't absolutely necessary, either). Select one pickup, pluck the low E string, and adjust the pickup height on that side until the plucked note sings and decays into a second harmonic (double tone). Then adjust the high E side to do the same. Now you have an optimally adjusted pickup for ringing sustain and harmonic over tones.

Repeat that for however many pickups you have.

You CAN possibly achieve perfection this way. You can also end up with wildly out of balance pickups with significantly cockeyed heights from low to high E's.

What you can do is balance the pickups for practical purposes from there, including any OCD symmetry you may require.

You also may be surprised how similarly good your pickups sound when backed away from this harmonically optimal starting point.

I have also found this "optimal" setting to be "too much" in some cases and prefer better balance and slightly tamer behavior sometimes, too.

Tubejockey

Reaction score
Ya... but who put 12 men on the moon?
Right with you there. As long as we are still the worlds biggest economic/social/cultural influence, they can all convert to our standard when doing business with us. The engine of capitalism is our gift to the world, as far as the world is willing to accept it. It has enabled us to grow wealth and raise the standard of living for everybody. This is the first time in human history where wealth can be created instead of merely transferred.

Let's just say there are advantages to being the worlds only superpower. It's good to be king.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The difference in measuring systems comes from within us. Our brain (intellect) measures things empirically using metrics. Our heart (intuition) measures things in harmonic proportion or musical measures. Loosely speaking, the brain measures quantities and the heart measures quality.
The metric system is just called the metric system, the ancient system the USA uses is called “earth measures” because the units of measurement are all in harmonic proportion to, or fractions of actual earth measurements.
Even the metric system is based on Earth measures.
1 bar happens to be the pressure at 10m under water.

But there is also a correlation between atmospheric pressure and the Imperial system.
14.7psi at sea level
1.47 ft/sec per MPH, so a vehicle moving at 14.7 ft/sec is moving 10mph.

The difference is that everything in the metric system is based off of that measurement and other characteristics of water...

1 gram is 1cc is 1ml of water, thus 1 kilogram is 1,000ml of water... 1 litre.

moreles

Reaction score
Well, it depends on the guitar of course, so I'll never measure. But I abandoned the "as close to the strings as possible" nonsense a long, long time ago. Give me a low-output pickup and space under the strings, please.

mdubya

Reaction score
Well, it depends on the guitar of course, so I'll never measure. But I abandoned the "as close to the strings as possible" nonsense a long, long time ago. Give me a low-output pickup and space under the strings, please.
I am right there with you! :thumb:

anorton

Reaction score
Bridge pretty high and neck pretty low. I’m not afraid to have one side of the pickups higher than the other either. Once it’s sounding really nice, I tweak poles according to which strings I want to hear more or less on chords.

Guitpicky

Reaction score
Here you go...

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does any of that ^^ have to do with a neck pickup?
I use a neck pickup all the time, reading anything about the occult not so much.

Unless it has it's own thread in the Backstage...

Guitpicky

Reaction score
I use a neck pickup all the time, reading anything about the occult not so much.

Unless it has it's own thread in the Backstage...
Nothing really, it went off on a tangent and that’s where it ended up. I stayed in the ring because even tho it went sideways, it’s a hell of a lot more interesting than most of the shit repeated ad nauseum on this forum. Anything is better than another regurgitated controversy thread about Richlite or top wrapping :)

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nothing really, it went off on a tangent and that’s where it ended up. I stayed in the ring because even tho it went sideways, it’s a hell of a lot more interesting than most of the shit repeated ad nauseum on this forum. Anything is better than another regurgitated controversy thread about Richlite or top wrapping :)
I think you may be on the wrong forum.

A neck pickup height thread isn’t the place for the drivel you posted.

Maybe join a new age forum?

Guitpicky

Reaction score

Unless it has it's own thread in the

Maybe join a new age forum?

Maybe join a adolescent issues forum?

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Maybe join a adolescent issues forum?
I’ll put it in a way you can understand it...

Roses are red

Violets are blue

You posted like a douche bag

And now you are through

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
As a moderator, I can read deleted posts.

But this is one occasion where I wish I couldn't.

I have rarely seen sheer volume of douchebaggery as I saw with post #31.

No, I take that back. I have NEVER seen such douchebaggery as that.

The man deserves a medal.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Wow.

Post #31 is pretty mellow now.

I even LIKED it.

EDIT: Oh I see. I need more coffee.

Latest Threads