Neck Pickup Epiphany

Ripgut

Reaction score
So I've had my neck pickup height at 6/64 on both the top and bottom strings fretted on the last fret. It sounded muddy, bassy, and boomy (I'm a lazy s.o.b.) so I finally decided to experiment because I've read of ppl slamming/decking their neck pickups with good results. Oh boy we're they right! I dropped it down to 8/64 and it sounded clearer. I dropped it even more to 12/64 and found it to be the sweet spot for me. Thought I'd share my findings. Where's your guys' sweet spot?

tedtan

Reaction score
I haven't measured it, but I find I like it pretty low, too.

Derald

Reaction score
I don’t measure mine. I just start it low and adjust by ear from there. They are usually just above or even with the pickup ring which works well for my amp and setup.

mdubya

Reaction score
Whatever balances with the bridge pickup is where I set my neck pickup.

I don't mind if the neck is a little bit louder.

I don't mind having to roll the volume down on the neck pickup either.

I even lower the neck tone quite often. Not all the way, but may 8 or 6 or 5 on the dial.

The neck pickup is almost always stronger than the bridge, so that gives you a lot more room to play with, imho.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
If you're using a ruler, you might not be using your ears enough.
Congrats on figuring it out and finding the sweet spot.
For many years, we rockers just jacked them up because more is better!
Thank goodness we learned.

Deftone

Reaction score
I live in either the neck position or middle...

don’t have much use for the bridge...
then again, I am playing “leader of the band” right now on my eslp....not kidding...

I'm 99% bridge. Only recently started to try the neck. Hell, I have 2 guitars that don't even have a neck p'up.

If you're using a ruler, you might not be using your ears enough.

For sure. I go by ear with the bridge, need to work with the neck now...can't believe I didn't think of this.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
Please reduce your fractions, my OCD is going crazy.

JK. I can't believe I never tried this.

I was thinking it too, but yet another reason the metric system is so dummy proof
1585604454337.png

Thundermtn

Reaction score
So I've had my neck pickup height at 6/64 on both the top and bottom strings fretted on the last fret. It sounded muddy, bassy, and boomy (I'm a lazy s.o.b.) so I finally decided to experiment because I've read of ppl slamming/decking their neck pickups with good results. Oh boy we're they right! I dropped it down to 8/64 and it sounded clearer. I dropped it even more to 12/64 and found it to be the sweet spot for me. Thought I'd share my findings. Where's your guys' sweet spot?

Everyone with short mounting screws that doesn't know is getting ready to curse your name.

I'm at 5/64 N and 4/64 B on my Custom Buckers and 6/64 N and 4/64B on my Stigma/Top Shelf set. I play hard rock so I like them just a hair on the too hot side. I do have my pole pieces jacked up a bit though so there's no mud with a little more clarity then evenly slammed to the deck stock pole positions.

Ripgut

Reaction score
That's my next mission, adjusting the poles. I just used the measurements as points of reference, the sweet spot happen to be a hair under 12/64, like 10.75/64 to be exact or so, LOLZ.

Mvrush

Reaction score
I just like my neck pickup to punch you in the gut when I switch to it and I like the bridge pickup to kick you in the nuts when I switch to it. You can make those adjustments with a fully cranked Marshall and you'll feel it when you have the pickup adjusted right.

Latest Threads