Neck lacquer cracks

Tommy71

Reaction score
Hi,
I just bought an LP copy from ebay and guitar is great and i love it. anyway,
now i found some lacquer cracks on the neck and I wonder what could have caused that cracking. It looks like it is only lacquer, not wood, what do you guys think?

any recommend how to fix it?

Pete M

Reaction score
Its checking caused by rapid change in temperature. Nothing you can do about it. Its a sign that good hard lacquer was used,in my opinion. Also it couldve easily happened when the guitar was shipped to you. Nothing to worry about, lots of guys even want checking. :cool:

ARandall

Reaction score
If its the typical cheap copy, then it will be a poly finish. This might then indicate that there has been some trauma in the area as poly doesn't crack unless with serious wood movement.

If it is more like a luthier replica, then nitro may well have been used.....see above response.

Pete M

Reaction score
Apologies, I had only looked at the photos on my phone, but now I see them on a larger screen I'm not sure that is lacquer?

Tommy71

Reaction score
hmm,, starting to be more worry about, even it is a cheap copy. if it is just a lacquer crack, it's not a big issue for me, but if it is on wood. I have already done it a few upgrade on the guitar, so I would like to begin to restore it back.

I take some more pics from different angle and light, i dont see any cracks on
the wood itself but still wondering what can cause this. Maybe its cause temperature changes when shipped.. i cant find any dents or hits on guitar, and it was very well packed.

Lagtastic

Reaction score
I'm sure it's only a crack in the finish. The wood would not crack that way, only on the surface perpendicular to the grain. And it's not like it's on the back, near the headstock (where so many gibson snaps) it's somewhere in the middle of the neck...! it would take tremendous force for a neck to snap -in the middle-

I'm also pretty sure it's poly. The way light reflects in the finish indicate that it's a poly finish. You can see it in multiple pictures (#2146 is a good example). A poly gloss is not the same as a nitro gloss. And surely if it's NOT a luthier copy, it's made with poly.

Hope it reassures you!

emoney

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm with everyone else in think it's is NOT lacquer. I've not seen Poly crack like that, unless there was some trauma involved so I'd imagine it had a bump in shipping. If it's a recent purchase, there should be some "before" pics somewhere and, out of curiousity, is it not something you can return?

ARandall

Reaction score
And there really aren't any satisfactory solutions to this type of splitting. You might be able to drip some thinned superglue into it, but only if there is actually a gap to get it into. Also - it probably won't make them any less visible.

Tommy71

Reaction score
Thank you for comments guys!
Well,, I could try return the guitar back to the UK, but I do not know,,, its a cheap 200$ guitar and like i say, I have already done it a few upgrade, and it sounds great, stay in tune well.. etc..

Maybe i try that superglue method, even if it would not make cracks invisible, However, it could be a good cover, and stop more cracking :hmm:

Happy Trees

Reaction score
Maybe i try that superglue method, even if it would not make cracks invisible, However, it could be a good cover, and stop more cracking :hmm:
If it's poly, it will only crack from movement. You won't have to worry about it unless you're bending your neck at gigs (not that it's never been done).

Lagtastic

Reaction score
my .02.... let it like that....learn how to live with it.

trying to put some glue in that tight crack will mostly result in making a bigger mess than it is now.

Latest Threads