Neck Heel Dimensions

wasntme

Reaction score
Hello,

i would like to know some measurements of a Les Paul Neck Heel. Is there something like a average size or a rule? I would like to know about this distance :
neckheel.png

Greetings and thanks for reply

DrBGood

Reaction score
I'm no luthier, but I feel for upper neck reach, less is better.

My LP Ultra, 11 mm

Ultra neck heel.jpg

My Jurior. Different shape, but still 11 mm

Junior neck heel.jpg

nuance97

Premium Member
Reaction score
The ‘56 I used for the bulk of the “Plans” sticky above measured in at around 16-17mm (it was very asymmetrical). So yeah something in the 16-18mm range would be perfect

ARandall

Reaction score
In short, you have an unlimited scope to make it (I guess like all aspects of a custom made guitar) just the way you want it to be. As the heel is the start of the construction aspect that makes for the Les Paul's vaunted poor upper fret access, you have the opportunity to make this a bit less intrusive.
An almost flat version like the LP ultra pic above is also what a lot of the thin necked 70's guitars are like.

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello,

i would like to know some measurements of a Les Paul Neck Heel. Is there something like a average size or a rule? I would like to know about this distance :
View attachment 465708

Greetings and thanks for reply
Have you worked out any plans? Downloaded any free ones? Checked out what is available for purchase? Frankly this is probably one of the dimensions you do not need. What you do need is to work out all the details you want before cutting wood.

If you google German guitar plans website there are a ton of plans there - German Guitar Plans Website

You ideally would need something like this -
Capture.JPG

With all the associated dimensions, which you can obtain if you search for 59 Les Paul plans for sale, although this will cost you some $$$. I worked on a set for a friend, so if you are interested in going that route PM me.

So for the dimension you are asking for above, it is not really that dimension you want but the dimension and details around the neck pocket (mortise) and then the profile of the neck at the body join (tenon).

Capture.JPG

Like this.

As ARandal notes you can design this guitar any way you want, so modify as you require. I would suggest starting a build thread and let us know your thoughts, experience, and what you have available for tools and we can help out. Good luck.

Cheers Peter.

Latest Threads