Neck for New Build

steppin_razor

Reaction score
I'm building my first guitar and am not going to build the neck. I've checked out StewMac, Warmoth, and All Parts for necks but I was wondering if there is somewhere better to order one from. It's going to be a bolt on neck, I'm not exactly sure what kind yet, and I would like to stay under $200.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

steppin_razor

Reaction score
Have you played on one before? To be perfectly honest the $36 price tag scared me a little.

52trapeze

Reaction score
Yep they are actually decent. Not as nice as per say a allparts,but yes they work just fine. Look up some reviews!

52trapeze

Reaction score
Under 40 bucks what have you got to lose? If its shit then you can practice working on guitar necks. Nothing to lose in my opinion!

gator payne

Reaction score
Under 40 bucks what have you got to lose? If its shit then you can practice working on guitar necks. Nothing to lose in my opinion!

I guess it is how you look at it. on the bright side you don't pay much. On the dark side you don't get much.

I know this is from a builders point of view and am expressing it soley as the opposing point of view not to dispute your point of view.

I personally would never suggest one of my student buy one. If you get one that checks out fine and straight when you get it but a year later due to grain runout you find that the neck is starting to twist, you end up replacing it with a top quaility neck. Now you are out the cost of both necks and the rework labor. If you had bought a high quaility neck to start with you spent a bit more but did far less work and have a much better neck and a neck is kind of an impotant component in my opinion.

To me it like buying a neck blank at a dicounted price finding the reason it sold so cheap is because it has unreasonable runout. But because I got it at under market price I choose to use it to build a commissioned guitar anyway. I would know in the back of my mind that this neck was going to cost me sooner or later. Same thing with tools. I will not buy Harbor Freight tools because I know sooner or later I will either have to replace it or it may even ruin a component I am working on.

So for me it boils down to do I care to build the best I can or just good enough for now. Is $60-$100 savings more impotant than the quaility of the build? easy question for me to answer.

paulskirocks

Reaction score
I've had so much bad luck with GFS, I wouldn't take one of their necks for free...

Bulldog sells necks for 110 bucks, and Mighty-Mites are around the same cost, although I've tried neither... I've been very happy with the several Warmoth necks I've used, but they are pricey...

skynyrd67

Reaction score
I have to agree with Gator and Paul, you are putting the time and effort into building your own guitar. Forget about cost and what not, the bottom line is you are taking the time to do your best work, don`t skimp to keep it simple. If you were building a race car engine you wouldn`t put on a 2 barrel carb when you could use fuel injection would you?

steppin_razor

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, I can definitely see what you mean about not skimping as something as important as the neck.

Reverend D

Reaction score
On the Mighty Mite, I've had one of those for about three years, its still extremely straight, of course like any of the cheaper Fender type necks, I did have to dress the fret ends, I leveled and crowned the whole thing, little was really necessary there. I've had the guitar together and tuned up and its back apart for finish now. So for the 100.00 I paid it was ok. Was it a Warmoth, by no means, but its probably as cheap as I'd want to go. That said, Fender necks aren't rocket science, they don't have any angle to speak off and its solid maple and to Leo's credit the old saying you could fight your way out of a bar with one and play it the next night is true. :D

For a Gibson style neck, the other options mentioned above are probably your options.

Regards,

D.

jokun

Reaction score
I have been thinking the same thing for a while...
I have wanted to do a build, but haven't had the money for a neck(and skills to do it myself).
This weekend I got lucky and some idiot smashed his guitar on stage at a consert I was watching. I basicly jumped on the stage and took the neck!
It looks like it is in perfect shape... (Although it is from a pretty cheap guitar...)

Go to a few consert and maybe you're in luck! ;)

emoney

Reaction score
Purely as a consumer, I've finally learned to live by the "You get what you pay for" idealogy.
Doesn't mean you need to "over-pay", but things are usually cheap for a reason. Try your
area Craigslist, as there are tons of great values to be found. By a used MIM Strat, and
not only will you have your neck, but you'll also have extras of everything else.

bfcg

Reaction score
When purchasing materials you really need to resist the Walmartian mentality.
Get educated on what is premium and what is cheap. Wood species is just a starting point.

Latest Threads