neck crack ?

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
I see at least what coud be at the very least 3 scratches. The main one looks to be quite deep. Like you said could be a lot of things includung something already repaired.

its only 8 digits away from my 1981 LS though. stamped on the same day most likely. What is yours ??

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
It doesn't look very concerning to me, the deepest one. Is it nitro or poly? If it's poly you might drip it a tiny amount of thin CA just be sure, but with nitro you have to pretty careful as you don't want to get any on the rest of it since you need acetone to clean it back off (and acetone takes off nitro).

jvin248

Reaction score

That's in the area to expect that kind of crack or the seam left over after repairing and repainting.

Buy an ultraviolet flashlight and wash that over the area. To see the check in action, find the youtube channel 'Trogly' as he often does that check.

Too bad Gibson doesn't use the design improvements built into their Epiphone line... players and buyers are left with the fragile headstock drama.

bertrand4070

Reaction score
i don't know anything about that guitar. it is on yj at the moment and there is a chance to have it at a low price cause of this picture. it can be a poly ls 60 or a refretted nitro ls 80. there is nothing in the bid page description. only a nice top and that crack. thanks for your advices.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
If you find it on jauce and theres a day or 2 left you could ask for a better pic or 2.

I really like my '81 LS.

jkes01

Reaction score
Looks like the kind of fracture one gets when over tightening the truss rod.

BDW60

Reaction score

That's in the area to expect that kind of crack or the seam left over after repairing and repainting.

Buy an ultraviolet flashlight and wash that over the area. To see the check in action, find the youtube channel 'Trogly' as he often does that check.

Too bad Gibson doesn't use the design improvements built into their Epiphone line... players and buyers are left with the fragile headstock drama.

An incredibly small percentage of Gibson buyers would want a scarf joint neck. You would see a lot more “drama” about than the current headstock design.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Looking at the auction the truss rod does not appear to have been overtightened. Generally you will see thread sticking out the end of the nut if it's run out of room and someone kept going. These are examples. I didn't take a photo of my Aria though before I repaired it.

1603669885485.png

1603669913834.png

Jp3764

Reaction score
Looks like the kind of fracture one gets when over tightening the truss rod.
Doubtful, my money would be on the guitar taking a fall.
Come to think ive never heard of a neck fracture from a TR on a Gibson style guitar.

Latest Threads