Neck/body profiles available

Gary C.

Reaction score
Could anyone explain and list the various neck and body carves offered by the upgrade vendors such as Historic Makeovers?
I have only been vaguely aware of any of this for a short time.
Are these copied from actual vintage guitars?
Thanks.

ARandall

Reaction score
Pretty sure that the top carve and neck profile are from actual bursts for HM.
Not sure if they have options.......unless you've actually played one of the original guitars they model their profile from its going to be a case of getting used to a new neck anyhow.
Much of the allure of HM is that players are getting the first taste of what a vintage instrument would be like, rather than getting their fave neck profile.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do believe that Historic Makeovers will carve whatever neck shape you want being that it is smaller than what you send them. The same with the top carve..... if you want it to match an existing original burst or to your liking is up to you. This is what you are spending the $$$ for. You need to express to these guy's what you want.

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
The neck is known as the Uncle Lou profile but what those measurements are I am not sure. But you can give them specs if you want. More shoulder, less, measurements you have and want, etc.

L96A1

Reaction score
It will be easier if you know what profile you are looking for, then talk to Kim and wait for pleasant surprises.
The neck Kim did for my 99 was super perfect.

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Two of my HMs have the "Uncle Lou" neck profile, which is a copy of an original 1959 neck. They measure about .885" thick at the 1st fret which is a bit thinner than the average pre-2018 R9 neck. The most noticeable difference is in the shape of the neck's profile. The shoulders taper away from the binding giving it a very comfy feel.

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
When you go to order at HM (if he is still doing it this way) there is a template you can ask about. It had a cross section of the neck. Just tell them what you want.

I had two of these awesome Makeovers....so yep they do it right.

On my second one I only had him sand off the finish. No additional neck work was done. That was the profile I wanted.

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that the top carve and neck profile are from actual bursts for HM.
Not sure if they have options.......unless you've actually played one of the original guitars they model their profile from its going to be a case of getting used to a new neck anyhow.
Much of the allure of HM is that players are getting the first taste of what a vintage instrument would be like, rather than getting their fave neck profile.

This is correct, what ever you send off will come back different. There is no magic bullet.

The work is superb however.

coldengray

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The neck on my HM is extremely comfortable. Highly recommended.