Neck -> Body Angle :: how do you do it?

cherrick

Reaction score
Please chime in on your favorite way of setting the neck to body angle.

DaveR

Reaction score
If you're talking about a LP build....straight tenon, angled neck pocket. I use an MDF template with angled wedges under it, secured to the body with masking tape and CA glue. Then route the pocket with a hand router and template bit. For cutting the neck plane into the guitar top, I use a hinged router planing sled propped up to the correct angle. For both tasks, I use a cheap level finding app on my phone to confirm the angle.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I've never decided that I will absolutely do only angled neck pockets or build the angle into the neck heel. I've done it both ways, both get the job done. It's just a matter of choice.

Either way, it's done on my knee mill. I calculate the angle I desire and then cut the mortise and neck heel leaving me some room for adjustment. WIth the neck clamped in place I measure the neck plane extended over the bridge location for bridge height, and make adjustments until I'm in the right range.

Ripthorn

Reaction score
Angled pocket using a box jig. Pshupe has got a great write-up about his. Read it, copy it, love it. Hopefully he comes along with the link.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
It depends on the build. For most flat-top set-neck guitars, I angle the tenon. The way the factory did. I use a protractor to get the angle I need, draw it out, cut it. And I use the tenon box jig and a router for shoulders when applicable.

Sometimes on some difficult builds, I'll angle the neck pocket.

Sometimes I'm called on to do a rare or odd build. In those cases, I mock up a tenon and a neck pocket out of construction lumber and get it all sorted, then transfer that procedure to the real thing. I've had to learn that the hard way a time or to.

Sometimes the plans are wrong. Even though they look "all pro", they are sometimes not. I have found that when I do a job based on paper plans, its' best to mock everything up. Then when I have the mock tenon in the mock mortise and body, I lay out the string line to ensure that it is neither too high or two low.

Latest Threads