NBD Fender MIJ Boxer Series Precision Bass

tzd

Reaction score
I've never played bass before in my life, but I've always said to myself that if I were to get a bass, it would be the Duff McKagan bass, because that intro to Sweet Child O' Mine is what started it all for me on this musical journey.

However, the Duff bass has glossy black paint on the back of the neck, and I prefer my necks to be natural or satin finished, so I never bought that bass model despite coming across many good deals in the past.

Last year Fender brought into USA a limited run of MIJ Boxer Series consisting of Strat, Tele and P-Bass. It took me some time to realize that the bass looked the same as Duff's original bass, other than the color of the body (Green or Red).

Of course, upon closer scrutiny, there are some differences:

- Duff's nut with is 1 5/8" whereas this Boxer bass is 1 1/2"
- Duff's fretboard radius is 9.5" whereas this Boxer is 12"
- The pickups are different, although this Boxer also has the TBX Tone Circuit
- The body wood in the original is probably Alder, but this Boxer has a basswood body

But most importantly, the back of the neck of this Boxer bass is a smooth, natural satin finish. With that, I'm sold! Found a deal and got this in last week:

IMG_2805.jpeg

And of course this is the first thing I play on my first bass:

I have one question for someone with more experience owning and playing basses: This bass has a light basswood body (total weight is just a hair over 9 lbs), but that makes it neck-heavy and I get neck dive with it on a strap. I don't see how I can reduce the weight on the neck any further as it already has lightweight Gotoh tuners on it. Is it common for bass guitars to be neck-heavy like this?

LocoTex

Reaction score
Pretty good for a guy who never played bass before!

Reactions: tzd

freak

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the necks are thicker because of the string tension on it, so that may ne what you notice. My squire Jazz bass is a little neck heavy. It is a longer neck, and kinda chunky.

tzd

Reaction score
Given the bulky Fender headstock design (and why do they use a Treble headstock for their bass?), I think most of their basses 9 lb or lighter will be neck heavy.

For the body to balance well, it will probably need to be closer to 10 lbs, or more. But 9lbs is already plenty of weight for me. I've put a 3.5" strap on it and that helps a lot to hold the bass in place.

bum

Reaction score
I use a wide leather strap with a rough back for bass, it does not balance the bass, but it does help as it stops it slipping - Hope that helps :)

Latest Threads