The quick end of summer project had to go on hold...
for 4 months.
Today I was finally able to get some work done since my last post.
Finished populating the main tag board and mounted everything for wiring. I decided to forgo the doghouse and mount the big electrolytics in the chassis. Took a bit of creative "adjustments" since the PT and choke are mounted opposite the big caps.
Tomorrow if I get a couple hours I plan on wiring the tubes, reverb in/out, foot pedal jack and grounding.
I restored it back to original specs, minus the tone choking plate NFB found on this model Bassman. I kept the adjustable bias mod (identical to other Fender Class A/B bias adjusts of the era) instead of the other dumb idea CBS engineers used on the AB165 - a hum bias adjustment. I also retubed with NOS pre's and the Tung Sol 7591A, which is like a 6L6 on steroids.
Turned out great! In this form I prefer the AB165 over Marshall JTM50's. More body with lots of punch.
I had the 15" combo cab made (not a great build, but does the job) and already had an Eminence 1518 speaker from another amp project I never got around to doing.