Natural Norlin Appreciation Thread

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey @DarrellV, what’s up buddy? You’re not gonna make me read this whole thread are you?

One thing I did notice is that @Ironskull4420 Natural Norlin certainly is NOT a fretless wonder, but you and @mudface and @HardCore Troubadour already know that.
yOU NEED TO POST UP THAT natural studio of yours for the new guy to admire!

I've been bragging you up, no don't disappoint! :dude:

Free likes and all,...... I mean, that's why we are all here, right? :laugh2:

Last edited:

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh ok, I just saw @Ironskull4420 s’ request to see my Studio. I don’t know if I should post it in this forum, isn’t that akin to blasphemy? :fingersx: :laugh2:
We got him hanging out in the plexi thread if you want to put it there..... its an option.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the input. But do you care to indulge me, as to what true fretless wonder would be? Now im curious for sure.
Low but THIN wire used on some late 50's early 60's era Gibson LP Customs and acoustics.

My CF-100 from 1957 has it.

Yours looks like my 82 before the re fret. Low and wide frets

Ironskull4420

Reaction score
Low but THIN wire used on some late 50's early 60's era Gibson LP Customs and acoustics.

Ah, ok. I was under the impression that any frets that had been played and leveled out down to next to nothing, were considered "fretless wonder" thanks for clearing that up for me.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score

Fretless wonder frets were last used around '73-74 Customs.... but being a Norlin anything goes....Ya Know!

scozz

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the input. But do you care to indulge me, as to what true fretless wonder would be? Now im curious for sure.
The Fretless Wonder LPs were only made for a few years in the early 70s, possibly 1969 also. The frets are very low and very narrow,...not to be confused with the low, wide frets that are on the mid and late 70s and early 80s LPs. There is much confusion between the two types of frets.

I'm old enough to have played quite a number of Fretless Wonders when I was a kid, and let me assure you , they are nothing like the late 70s and early 80s Gibson LPs! They are very difficult to play for some, and bends are almost impossible,...but man could you get some really low action. So low that it made the guitar unplayable. They quickly fell out of favor.

Here's a closeup of a Fretless Wonder Custom,.....I believe all FW LPs were Customs.

1575564954971.png

scozz

Reaction score

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ohhhhhhhh,.....that thread!! I completely forgot about that thread!! It's still going?!?! OMG!!
Cupcakes, Heresy, Plexi , etc, etc, right?
4000 pages strong! And Prometheus is back!!!! The OP returned a while ago! He couldn't believe it either.

Look in my sig near the bottom for his quote! :laugh2:

Ironskull4420

Reaction score
The Fretless Wonder LPs were only made for a few years in the early 70s, possibly 1969 also. The frets are very low and very narrow,...not to be confused with the low, wide frets that are on the mid and late 70s and early 80s LPs. There is much confusion between the two types of frets.

I'm old enough to have played quite a number of Fretless Wonders when I was a kid, and let me assure you , they are nothing like the late 70s and early 80s Gibson LPs! They are very difficult to play for some, and bends are almost impossible,...but man could you get some really low action. So low that it made the guitar unplayable. They quickly fell out of favor.

Here's a closeup of a Fretless Wonder Custom,.....I believe all FW LPs were Customs.

View attachment 424779
Sweet, thanks for the insights. Make total sense now.

Ironskull4420

Reaction score
Oh ok, I just saw @Ironskull4420 s’ request to see my Studio. I don’t know if I should post it in this forum, isn’t that akin to blasphemy? :fingersx: :laugh2:
They let me post my norlin custom in here a page or so back, i and didnt get the boot yet. Perhaps they are just bein nice to the new guy. But i would love to see the naty studio you got.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
No One actually reads all of that shit at the bottom of your posts........do they?
Yeah,.... i have a couple of times,.... the last time was after reading your post,.... There's new stuff in there,... well new to me. :rofl:

It's the reason there's 21 mules operating MLP now.....

Latest Threads