Natural Norlin Appreciation Thread

Ironskull4420

Reaction score
Nice one piece top Standard,.... beautiful,..... and yes they do pop up on occasion,..... In the opening credits of "Pawn Stars" is a nice example of one.......
View attachment 424243

But i have my eye on the Norlin Custom in the background of this pic or is it something else? A Classic Custom?

View attachment 424241
A couple pics of a non natty norlin commin up. Unfortunately the original pickups were gone when i came into this beauty, so we loaded it with some Seymour Duncans.

Attachments

Ironskull4420

Reaction score
These are my two Norlin Customs.

The BB is a 1977 like yours,... and CSB is a 1978
View attachment 424281
Sweet! Love em. Is that gold hardware? Mine has a nickel silver color to the hardware, so im not sure if mine is a true BB... do you know if they were doing maple tops on BBs or if a true BB was a gog through and through...??

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
Sweet! Love em. Is that gold hardware? Mine has a nickel silver color to the hardware, so im not sure if mine is a true BB... do you know if they were doing maple tops on BBs or if a true BB was a gog through and through...??
By 1968 all Customs had maple caps,.... and yes the BB has Gold and the CSB has Chrome,.... I have owned that CSB since 1980, been with me a long time. Both have the original pickups,... but i had to replace the BBs bridge as it collapsed and the pickguard is not original.
Everything else is original....

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow man, that thing is awesome! Super beautiful. The ebony and red look so good together. I prefer rosewood myself, but dang that looks so good.
It came with gold hardware and ebony board as part of the run....

BUT.... and this is the part you will learn to love about late Norlin Gibson, they were open to anything!

They actually DID make some of these with rosewood boards!

$2720 on Reverb right now! That's a really good price IMO
https://reverb.com/item/10090415-gibson-les-paul-standard-1982-candy-apple-red-metallic

Ironskull4420

Reaction score
A quick amendment to my previous statement. I prefer the feel of rosewood, but ill have to say, the ebony looks soooo much better on that guitar. So classy.

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
A quick amendment to my previous statement. I prefer the feel of rosewood, but ill have to say, the ebony looks soooo much better on that guitar. So classy.
Of course, I have to humbly agree! It's one of the things that drew me to it almost 40 years ago when it came out. The gleam of the CAR finish was amazing and the gold and black just set it off so well!

Of course the finish has yellowed over the years so it's not as bright as it once was... but in bright light it still gleams and the gold undercoat shows through.... Love it!!!

From last summer...

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
Stunning, really.
Thank you most kindly! :bowdown

But I am also a huge fan of wood and awesome grain, so your own one piece top is not lost on me !

I much prefer the style of yours over the run of the mill Christmas tree zipper bursts out there..

It was the Heritage 80 Series that first drew me to a Les Paul in the first place.. I had pretty much ignored them up till then..

But that wood..... OMG!!! I would still love to own own some day, because of the wood!!!
Like this 1981!!! :run:

Or this 80 standard!

And wait till you see @scozz all natural studio when he gets here!! Another thing of beauty!

Ironskull4420

Reaction score
The 81!!!! Wow. How could you not dream of owning a top like that. Only thing that would hold me back is i wouldnt want to play it. I like my guitars in the top end of the player grade. Sans serious repairs but a a healthy dose of love and play wear is always welcomed in my home. I onwed and lovely players grade '64 SG that had been routed for buckers. It was a rad piece, but when the '77 custom came up i had to make a move. Man... thinking about it, ive got more stories like that than ide like to admit. Haha. Cant wait to see said naty studio! @scozz

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
The 81!!!! Wow. How could you not dream of owning a top like that.
:applause::dude:

MAzactly!!!!!!! (It's a custom phrase we use in here) :laugh2:

If I could indulge @bungle to stop by, he actually owns one of those!
I have not been successful in getting him to will it to me yet, but there is always tomorrow!

Ironskull4420

Reaction score
:applause::dude:

MAzactly!!!!!!! (It's a custom phrase we use in here) :laugh2:

If I could indulge @bungle to stop by, he actually owns one of those!
I have not been successful in getting him to will it to me yet, but there is always tomorrow!
Also should we move the show and tell to a new thread? Or ride out natural norlin train?

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score