Natural Norlin Appreciation Thread

Reaction score

pmonk

Reaction score
Kris, I found some interesting LP's on Ebay.

I know you know I used to own what I believe was an Ebony 1979 STD.

I found a 1978 here, but a few things bother me in his kind of blurry pics.
Would you be so kind as to review the ad and even PM me with what your good eye tells you.
I will also PM you the info.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Excellent-/232180198580?hash=item360f04acb4:g:EQgAAOSwOtdYTuMe
Them pickup rings look pretty rough.

I would ask to for a pic of the route and the base plate of the T-tops.

Reaction score
Pmonk, You and I think alike on asking for those pics. I also would want to see very clear pics of frets. Not looking for a guitar only to need new ones to make it playable.

Ironskull4420

Reaction score
Hope this thread is not dead, but any way. Here is my '81 natural LP standard one piece top stamped natural in neck pick up cavity. Loaded with original Shaws. Havnt ever seen another one piece top, wondering if anyone else has...

Attachments

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hope this thread is not dead, but any way. Here is my '81 natural LP standard one piece top stamped natural in neck pick up cavity. Loaded with original Shaws. Havnt ever seen another one piece top, wondering if anyone else has...
Man that is SWEEET! :wow:

82 owner myself!

Sadly, Kris doesn't appear to be with us anymore, so yeah, it's kind of a necro thread.

But since it is in the Norlin section, and these are an older less popular (or modern) guitars, threads in here can go quiet for some time before someone wakes them up!

More fans will be along in a bit, I'm sure.

But to answer the question about the top, yes some one piece tops were made during the fertile years of the early 80's.

There were still some three piece , like the Spotlight Specials, and a lot of two piece flame tops too.

But once in a while a nice one piece would be made...

Nice find!

Ironskull4420

Reaction score

82 owner myself!

Sadly, Kris doesn't appear to be with us anymore, so yeah, it's kind of a necro thread.

But since it is in the Norlin section, and these are an older less popular (or modern) guitars, threads in here can go quiet for some time before someone wakes them up!

But to answer the question about the top, yes some one piece tops were made during the fertile years of the early 80's.

There were still some three piece , like the Spotlight Specials, and a lot of two piece flame tops too.

Nice find!
Thanks for the reply ! Glad to knock the dust off this post. I am all about letting the natural wood and work show on an instrument, and this standard has a very uniquely figured top. Not only is it a beautiful piece of wood, but this thing screams, and plays like butter. A true fretless wonder with original frets still rocking a majority of its nibs. Ive had this guitar for about 9 or 10 years and is my daily driver. But i have had a hard time finding any info or other guitars similar. Stoked to have come across this thread.

Ironskull4420

Reaction score

82 owner myself!

Nice find!
Also, lets see your '82!

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply ! Glad to knock the dust off this post. I am all about letting the natural wood and work show on an instrument, and this standard has a very uniquely figured top. Not only is it a beautiful piece of wood, but this thing screams, and plays like butter. A true fretless wonder with original frets still rocking a majority of its nibs. Ive had this guitar for about 9 or 10 years and is my daily driver. But i have had a hard time finding any info or other guitars similar. Stoked to have come across this thread.
Well, you have come to the right spot on the internet! Congrats! And :welcome:to the best forum on the planet (IMHO)..

We'll start with the frets...

Those are not technically 'fretless wonder' frets, but a lot of folks think so, you are not alone..

Those are called 'low wide' frets and are peculiar to this era of Gibsons.

The Tim Shaw pickups are the bomb, IMO, as I have them in my 82 as well.. they only had a 6 year run.
They were designed for the Heritage 80 series, and were put into regular production thereafter..

I'm going to page some of my friends in to have a look at this....

@mudface ,@HardCore Troubadour , @scozz , @bungle @Mitch Pearrow 58

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
Nice one piece top Standard,.... beautiful,..... and yes they do pop up on occasion,..... In the opening credits of "Pawn Stars" is a nice example of one.......
20191026_091933.jpg

But i have my eye on the Norlin Custom in the background of this pic or is it something else? A Classic Custom?

20191026_091509.jpg

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice one piece top Standard,.... beautiful,..... and yes they do pop up on occasion,..... In the opening credits of "Pawn Stars" is a nice example of one.......
View attachment 424243

But i have my eye on the Norlin Custom in the background of this pic or is it something else? A Classic Custom?

View attachment 424241
Thanks, Muddy!

OP asked to see my 82....... do you want to read him the warnings first, or wait for Scozz?? :laugh2:

C'mon!! you gotta admit I've been showing remarkable restraint as of late! :Ohno:

:rofl:

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
Thanks, Muddy!

OP asked to see my 82....... do you want to read him the warnings first, or wait for Scozz?? :laugh2:

C'mon!! you gotta admit I've been showing remarkable restraint as of late! :Ohno:

Nope.... I aint giving no warnings amigo,.... the man asked for the pics.... not that any Norlin thread doesn't have a pic of your CAR'82 already.......... but this thread don't...... so i think you're obligated amigo. ;)

Besides i love seeing it every time i do..... :thumbs:

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
Nope.... I aint giving no warnings amigo,.... the man asked for the pics.... not that any Norlin thread doesn't have a pic of your CAR'82 already.......... but this thread don't...... so i think you're obligated amigo. ;)

Besides i love seeing it every time i do..... :thumbs:
Oooooh, thank you!!!!

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
very nice piece and yes there were some one piece tops around......

I do not have this in hand and will take your word for it, but that looks like a very well put together seam in line with the A string, coming down to the butt end of the guitar?

Could be a very straight grain right there but considering they are not like that anywhere else?

Ironskull4420

Reaction score
Thanks, Muddy!

C'mon!! you gotta admit I've been showing remarkable restraint as of
Thanks, Muddy!

Hahaha, well now im really intrigued.

Ironskull4420

Reaction score
View attachment 424243

View attachment 424241
It is indeed a norlin custom, from '77. She is a little rougher than my standard, but also a great feeling guitar. I think she might need a little setup work to really dial in the feel. I would post a couple pics but i feel maybe this thread is not the appropriate place for a solid finish. Ha.

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
It is indeed a norlin custom, from '77. She is a little rougher than my standard, but also a great feeling guitar. I think she might need a little setup work to really dial in the feel. I would post a couple pics but i feel maybe this thread is not the appropriate place for a solid finish. Ha.
Well, it is your post, you own it and get to say what's in it, within forum rules of course...

If you want to indulge other member questions or requests you can do so....

If a member runs off on their own without the OP (Original Poster's) ok, its called a hijack, and that's a no no...

But it's Kris' s old thread, and he used to be a Norlin god! I don't think he would mind, and it IS a Norlin soo... you may fire at will!

You would make a bunch of old Norlin lovers happy in the process.... :thumb:

Last edited:

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score

I do not have this in hand and will take your word for it, but that looks like a very well put together seam in line with the A string, coming down to the butt end of the guitar?

Could be a very straight grain right there but considering they are not like that anywhere else?

I saw that too, but the fiery grain between the pickups does not show a seam...

Look to the left of the TP and you can see the long grain pattern ripples. I think that's what it is.

Ooooh! I just noticed the no hole bridge!!!!! A Schaller exclusive of the early 80's!!!! :dude:

Ironskull4420

Reaction score

I would have to say, it really looks like a nice straight section of grain, no seams as far as i can tell. Here are a couple shots looking at the grain pattern below the tail piece.

Attachments