National Anthem butchered yet again

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
God Bless America in the 7th isn't necessary. I'm as patriotic as the next guy but I think that is overkill. I have no issue with the National Anthem prior to a game, especially baseball. I just don't think you need to make the song your own. The average time for a good rendition is about a minute. Chaka was 1:45. Adding 40-60 seconds of embellishment to a minute long song it quite ridiculous. At least Fergie apologized.

LPMarshall Hack

Reaction score
This time we got Chaka to thank. Seems to be a idiot contest among artists on who can screw up the song the most. I’d be all for mandatory jail sentences for making the anthem anything different than it was intended to be sung as
Absolutely selfish and awful.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I used to hate it, but then a heard it in a semi Fezz state of mind, and it all clicked.

Like Jimi said, it's beautiful man.
If I was not a guitar player I might have thought differently.

I seem to remember being pulled in both directions (like, dislike) on my first hearing of it, a young 14 year old guitar player who was raised to respect the flag and all.

I was later able to put it into context when I had a better understanding of the social climate at the time it was recorded.

Last edited:

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I'm so worn out on all that "riffing" crap.

It's like over-seasoning when cooking. Too much, and you can't even taste the food, and you've likely ruined the meal. She's done the parallel with the song. So much riffing and phony "soul", you can't even recognize the song.

Doesn't anyone sing clean any more?
Yeah, I stopped listening at “the rockets red glare”.

DavGrape

Reaction score
Gah.... gave it a try... hoo-wee.
She hopped up on suttin.

pnuggett

Reaction score
God Bless America in the 7th isn't necessary. I'm as patriotic as the next guy but I think that is overkill. I have no issue with the National Anthem prior to a game, especially baseball. I just don't think you need to make the song your own. The average time for a good rendition is about a minute. Chaka was 1:45. Adding 40-60 seconds of embellishment to a minute long song it quite ridiculous. At least Fergie apologized.

Embellishment? That shit was not embellishment.

irocdave12

Reaction score
'cept she sang the woketard "in all of us command"....I will never ever sing that. It will always be what I was taught as a child... "in all thy sons command"
See you just taught me something. I never heard that there were alternate lyrics til now

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
See you just taught me something. I never heard that there were alternate lyrics til now
Not alternate...they are now official. Happened a couple of years ago.....pushed by triggered "gender" nazis.

dave b

Reaction score
Stopped listening by the end of the second line.....she was already 'making it her own'. (Poorly, I thought) I don't get that people don't get that that's NOT what it's for.

spoony

Reaction score
I didn't get it at the time because I was too young but when Jimi Hendrix preformed the National Anthem it made a big impact on a lot of people. If you do a little research on the topic you can't help but come away with a sense that he preformed the song with genuine humility and patriotism. He had something to say and was respectful while doing so.
s

scott1970

Reaction score
Chaka got nothing on the performance from one of our deputies at our local annual fallen officer memorial . It made national news. His mind went blank from nerves, yet his voice kept making noises.

Fiesta Red

Reaction score
There will be some statement made full of excuses -- couldn't hear the monitors, stadium echo, had a sore throat or pneumonia the morning before, or some other garbage.

Fiesta Red

Reaction score
This response is pretty funny: I love Chaka Khan and she is truly “I’m Every Woman” but it sounded like all of those women were trying to come out during that vocal performance

Reactions: FLH

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I didn't get it at the time because I was too young but when Jimi Hendrix preformed the National Anthem it made a big impact on a lot of people. If you do a little research on the topic you can't help but come away with a sense that he preformed the song with genuine humility and patriotism. He had something to say and was respectful while doing so.
s
I love that Cavett clip.

Reactions: FLH

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
I think singing the anthem at sporting events is stupid and pointless and kind of creepy to begin with. So when someone butchers it, what did you expect really?

Reactions: Who

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
I think singing the anthem at sporting events is stupid and pointless and kind of creepy to begin with. So when someone butchers it, what did you expect really?
I'd never call it stupid, pointless or creepy. Perhaps overdone by the sheer number of games being played.

I'd not not want to be the organization to say we are not doing it anymore for fear of being pounced upon by the alleged patriotic.

If a singer does a credible job at attempting to hit all of the notes correctly and misses some, that is far better than taking too much bullshit artistic licence with it because you had a hit x number of years ago.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Chaka got nothing on the performance from one of our deputies at our local annual fallen officer memorial . It made national news. His mind went blank from nerves, yet his voice kept making noises.
As in good rendition?

Latest Threads