National Anthem butchered yet again

irocdave12

Reaction score
This time we got Chaka to thank. Seems to be a idiot contest among artists on who can screw up the song the most. I’d be all for mandatory jail sentences for making the anthem anything different than it was intended to be sung as

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
well, it was lifted from an old drinking song, so there's that. Might as well be drunk when you sing it.
If you were too hammered to sing it (drinking song), you’d had enough - so one story goes.

Last edited:

NRBQ

Reaction score
I think I know what's going on here, she's getting paid by the note, the more notes you sing, the more you get paid. She just made three times the money of the average singer singing the national anthem. It could have been worse, they could have let Rosanne Barr do it again.

mtgguitar

Reaction score
Honestly, has anybody ever embellished it at it sounded good besides Jimi Hendrix?
My brother hates any version other than Kate Smith's from the 1940s. She was very patriotic, she got demoted recently after the PC Police discovered a racially sensitive song she recorded.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
This time we got Chaka to thank. Seems to be a idiot contest among artists on who can screw up the song the most. I’d be all for mandatory jail sentences for making the anthem anything different than it was intended to be sung as
I'm so worn out on all that "riffing" crap.

It's like over-seasoning when cooking. Too much, and you can't even taste the food, and you've likely ruined the meal. She's done the parallel with the song. So much riffing and phony "soul", you can't even recognize the song.

Doesn't anyone sing clean any more?

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm so worn out on all that "riffing" crap.

It's like over-seasoning when cooking. Too much, and you can't even taste the food, and you've likely ruined the meal. She's done the parallel with the song. So much riffing and phony "soul", you can't even recognize the song.

Doesn't anyone sing clean any more?
My girl P!nk.

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
If my dear father in law hadn't already passed, he'd certainly be dead this morning. That would have literally killed him.

He was an incredibly talented jazz horn player. They started sneaking him in the back door of honkey tonks to play sax when he was 13. After WWII, he went on the circuit touring with big bands. He went on to a career as a high school band director. That guy you thought was an incredible nerd who in reality was the coolest cat around.

He spent his last decade watching sports on my couch and I always had to suck it up when the anthem came on. The slightest little riff would send him over the edge, followed by his sing along interpretaion of what he was hearing. I think on that one he would have grabbed a gun, jumped in the Towncar and started driving that direction.

Latest Threads