Nascar

Pappy58

Reaction score
So who has it rigged up this year, Gibbs or Pensky? I'm going with Gibbs.

I used to be the biggest Nascar fan, 70's-90's it was my favorite sport over everything. Seeing what it has become today is really really disappointing. Last few years i've pretty much stopped watching once baseball starts. Baby France has really fucked it up!

It used to a Gas! Now it's old burn't rubber! Thats is all!

dave b

Reaction score
I stopped following about five years ago. Still recognize most of the names, but haven't the foggiest whose going to be the frontrunners this year. Usually watch the Daytona 500 every year still.

A Mark Martin fan I was :thumb:

rifflearner

Reaction score
Yeah, I tuned out about five years ago, too. At every turn, NASCAR seemed to ignore what the fans wanted and go in the opposite direction. I became a super fan. I feel like they drove me away. I feel like they drove all the fans away.

I hated the Chase. I really hated the Cup coming down to a single race. I don't care for the stages. Some of the great tracks were ruined with bad pave jobs that killed the action. The rules package made some 1.5 mile tracks unwatchable parades with little to no passing. For years much of the TV coverage on ESPN was unwatchable and the announcing and coverage was atrocious.

But the #1 thing over everything that turned me off the most was I got really sick of the fact that they would change the rules on what determined the champion. And they did this like 7 years out of 8. It just got ridiculous.

I still check in once a week at NASCAR.com just to see the results and so I can kinda-sorta know what's going on. But honestly, the NASCAR website is a complete horror show where you sometimes can't even figure out where to find the winner of a race after it happened. The website is a complete mess edited by someone who doesn't seem to be a fan. It is symptomatic of everything that ruined NASCAR to me.

Tony Stewart getting into the HOF kinda closes a chapter for me. He was one of my favorites, and there hasn't been anyone with even 1/10th of his personality to replace him. It took years, but Jimmie Johnson finally won me over in a weird anti-Stewart way. But this is his last year and I doubt he'll be running Top 10 this year, so I might even stop looking for updates once he retires.

It was so awesome. And they ruined it.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I used to like it, but haven't watched in a couple years. If it's on, I'd probably watch it. But I have a dirt track, 1/3 mile, like 5 minutes from my house, where I can go watch the sprints, modifieds, stocks and super mods any Saturday night of the season. The Outlaws are running pretty soon after I get home from sea. I'm pretty pumped. My neighbor is the track chaplain, so I might get to go down to the pits.

Hamtone

Reaction score
Ive never been a fan, I love left and right hand turns lol

Once every couple of years I'll catch a race, purely on accident.

The last full race I watched was Dale Earnhart win Daytona, in the late 90's

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Reaction score
Yeah, I tuned out about five years ago, too. At every turn, NASCAR seemed to ignore what the fans wanted and go in the opposite direction. I became a super fan. I feel like they drove me away. I feel like they drove all the fans away.

I hated the Chase. I really hated the Cup coming down to a single race. I don't care for the stages. Some of the great tracks were ruined with bad pave jobs that killed the action. The rules package made some 1.5 mile tracks unwatchable parades with little to no passing. For years much of the TV coverage on ESPN was unwatchable and the announcing and coverage was atrocious.

But the #1 thing over everything that turned me off the most was I got really sick of the fact that they would change the rules on what determined the champion. And they did this like 7 years out of 8. It just got ridiculous.

I still check in once a week at NASCAR.com just to see the results and so I can kinda-sorta know what's going on. But honestly, the NASCAR website is a complete horror show where you sometimes can't even figure out where to find the winner of a race after it happened. The website is a complete mess edited by someone who doesn't seem to be a fan. It is symptomatic of everything that ruined NASCAR to me.

Tony Stewart getting into the HOF kinda closes a chapter for me. He was one of my favorites, and there hasn't been anyone with even 1/10th of his personality to replace him. It took years, but Jimmie Johnson finally won me over in a weird anti-Stewart way. But this is his last year and I doubt he'll be running Top 10 this year, so I might even stop looking for updates once he retires.

It was so awesome. And they ruined it.
Pretty much....me too. I even bagged up all my Tony Stewart stuff and got rid of it and I had a shit ton of it. He was my guy since open wheel.
I went to the Daytona 500 the year Hamlin won (4 yrs. ago?). That was it for me. I have no thoughts of ever going to another race or watching it on TV. It's just ruined.....

I haven't met a single person that's happy with the current format or has liked any of the changes in the last few years.

JTM45

Premium Member
Reaction score
I watched a lot of races up until about 5 or 6 years ago.

All the new rules, the race to the cup, the new stage thing is just as anti racing as ever, it’s a clown show and the new guy ruined it for me

Pappy58

Reaction score
.....................yep, takes real skill to drive around in circles.

Only kidding fellas.

Now back to Australia & Mt. Panorama.

:cheers2:
Yeah Rudi, Aussie racing is pretty cool I'll give you that. I watch more of the Trans Am and SCCA stuff here now when I can. Nascar does run a few road courses and I tend to watch those...and I like what they did with the Roval at Charlotte. But the homologized cars, and closing of the shorter ovals (Wilkinson, Rockingham etc). Not to mention the prickheads they have for drivers now. The chase is a joke as well as @rifflearner points out. I will watch the 500 on Sunday though since it's cold and not much else to do. !

don71

Reaction score
I not a big fan much anymore but still like to watch and keep up with the soap opera. Lots of young and newer drivers. Its hard to keep up.

I'll admit I like the clash and duels and the lead up to Daytona.

Fillmore

Reaction score
Loved it back in the day when it was full of characters. Today it appears to be billboards turning left driven by inflated egos. Many times It takes forever to finish a race because of all the accidents and that gets old.

It's just to squeaky clean and about the show. Too much drama.

The day Earnhardt died so did NASCAR.

But there's always my pals, Lightning McQueen and Doc Hudson....kachow!

Sorry guys just my opinion.

Last edited:

Pappy58

Reaction score
Loved it back in the day when it was full of characters. Today it appears to be billboards turning left driven by inflated egos. Many times It takes forever to finish a race because of all the accidents and that gets old.

It's just to squeaky clean and about the show. Too much drama.

The day Earnhardt died so did NASCAR.

But there's always my pals, Lightning McQueen and Doc Hudson....kachow!

Sorry guys just my opinion.
Crashcar! .... Total agreement with everything you said... :cheers2:

Crotch

Triggered
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is that guy that does a ton of coke still in it? I like that guy.

Latest Threads