Name of the Grain

dsmcl77

Reaction score

dsmcl77

Reaction score
my LP mahogany body being a well centered flat sawn...cut in half it would be called quartersaw I guess?

I've heard that cut that way, the curve facing the mapple top, brings more treble, which is the case with mine indeed. The curve facing the other way should cut the treble, but I never had the chance to try one.

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
my LP mahogany body being a well centered flat sawn...cut in half it would be called quartersaw I guess?

I've heard that cut that way, the curve facing the mapple top, brings more treble, which is the case with mine indeed. The curve facing the other way should cut the treble, but I never had the chance to try one.
that's interesting, I never heard that before....:hmm:

vincent-power

Reaction score
that would be wavy flame or pinstripe curl.yours is a lttle more pinstripe curl but looks a bit like page 49 of the beauty of the burst to me.

bigsnaketex

Reaction score
Here the link: look at #2952

1959 Les Paul Build - Page 148 - Telecaster Guitar Forum

Much later on the thread it gives more info, but couldn't find it tonight.
I can tell you that Gil Yaron probably knows more about Les Paul guitars and wood in general than any other human alive at this time.

I find that his observations are not only spot on perfect but that he has done the research so when he answers a question, you know that you're getting an answer that has not only been researched academically, but practically as well.

bryvincent

Reaction score
what's that type of grain called?
Is this a quarter sawn I guess?

that is quartersawn maple top. those weird grains are called Medullary Rays; which appears when a wood is perfectly(90degrees) quartersawn.

the medullary rays is also a way to know the grain orientation on a neck. if its at the bottom center(12 or 6 o'clock pos.) of the neck, its is quartersawn. if it is on the sides(9 or 3 o'clock pos.) its flatsawn. in between, riftsawn.

quartersawn neck:

flatsawn neck:

rcgpny1

Reaction score
I believe grain orientation , in the mahogany, does effect tone somewhat. As you get closer to quatersawn, the grain going vertically when viewed at the endpin, the wood would tend be stiffer and a bit less resonant. It would sound different, and it would be up to individual taste as to which is preferred. The grain of the maple also effects tone generating "vibration nodes". Contrary to popular belief, many highly figured maples are of lighter weight and are less dense than their "plain" cousins. Again, personal taste would be a factor of which you like....I like them all!(lol)

MojoR

Reaction score
Hey all, just curious. I just had this built recently and found the top interesting when we chose the wood online. (Totally by sight, didn’t get to test it audibly, but the luthier thought it had good “worthy” qualities to go with the nice pieces of old growth Honduran and Brazilian board.

Anyways, with the grain so pronounced straight up and down, are these pieces on the top quartersawn would you say?

6A56F0F0-C8B9-45A9-BCDB-7834A8749DCB.jpeg

BBD28D87-1BAD-4E72-B04E-74037E5536DE.jpeg

53472B69-8E52-4567-8525-BAAFF0CD8E5E.jpeg

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
From what I've read and seen, that top sure looks quarter sawn to me. It's beautiful.