Name of the Grain

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice...I would wonder the same thing? :hmm:

abracadaben

Reaction score
I have to say it is very resonant and lots of sustain for a 2012 ;-)

Actinic

Reaction score

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I read the description and see where it "says" Maple top, but then it goes on to say Koa Top and nothing about Veneer...I have seen errors in descriptions before, but this one would require closer inspection or a phone call to Gibson to be sure. Interesting top for sure. As far as the cut....hopefully someone will chime in. Maybe someone knows whether or not they are laminating these now.....:wow:

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well its certainly a curl or some kind....

Race track curl ?

Cool top, it is pretty unusual....:hmm:

MUSTANGCAT

Reaction score
Thank you for this thread Delawaregold! Many of us Les Paul lovers here appreciate your effort and, the information you share.

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice Top !

BBQ Grain?

Book matched, quarter sawn.....I think

delawaregold

_______Artie_______
Super Mod
Reaction score

The center is Quarter Sawn, perpendicular to the growth rings. The Grain is straight and clean.
The edge is Flat Sawn, cut tangentially to the growth rings, exposing the grain at an angle.
I can’t think of a way to do this to a round log. (although I’m not a wood cutter) My guess is that
this was cut from an irregularly shaped log, perhaps from a vee section where the tree split into
two large branches. It is a spectacular piece of Maple. Very Impressive!

reborn old

Reaction score
I found the following chart on a maple sales website about a year ago.
Sorry, I didn't keep a link to the site, but the chart may help a few owners with certain tops at least.

Attachments

Kmw

Reaction score
"Quittle" seems about right for an r9 I saw the other day.

As a slight aside but still maybe of interest, I'm reading " The Luthier's Handbook" at the mo and it mentions that maple trees are one of the most prone to "sagging" which is what causes this effect in the wood as the tree grows. Nothing that can really be controlled, it's down to things like long hot days followed by cold nights in the region it's growing as well as the high sap content. As I understand it, they basically slump down as you or I would at the end of a long days growing. :slash: