Nail Polish on my Top!

Darkstream

Reaction score
Had a rattle on the bridge, removed the retainer wire and added some clear nail polish so the saddles wouldn't fall out if I broke a string playing. Spilled a drop on the top and just left it hoping it would eventually fall off. A year later it's still not brittle enough to swipe off. It's barely noticeable, but I know it's there and want it gone. Any experience with how to remove it would be appreciated. Cheers.

Last edited:

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Personally I would leave it alone but maybe someone else will have the answer for you.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
You could just scrape it with a blade and than buff the spot with a good compound to make it shine again. Better if you mask the area.

jkes01

Reaction score
^ This. Definitely don’t use nail polish remover :wow:

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
It's nitro.
It has chemically bonded with your guitar's finish.
You could try scraping it almost flush with a razor blade, sanding with increasingly fine paper, then compound, then buffing.
Time consuming and risky.
Be very good at doing fine work like that or don't even start.

Darkstream

Reaction score
It's nitro.
It has chemically bonded with your guitar's finish.
You could try scraping it almost flush with a razor blade, sanding with increasingly fine paper, then compound, then buffing.
Time consuming and risky.
Be very good at doing fine work like that or don't even start.
It's an ultra thin smear just smaller than a dime behind the bridge, so it's not that noticeable. I know the finish is nitro so I didn't want to chip it off and take the finish with it. I guess I'll leave it for now and chalk it up in the idiot column. It bothers me because it's a 2003 Braz board and the top is mint otherwise. More than I can say about the back-lol.

none2low

Reaction score
Chances are good the nail polish is actual cellulose based. Which basically means you can treat it as it it were a run or drip in nitro.

Check the bottle to be sure, but most nail polishes are.

If you proceed slowly and work carefully, scraping with a single edge razor, it should level it out fairly quickly and easily.

Once level its just a matter of polishing it back out.

MSB

Reaction score
Have you tried a cloth with Naphtha?
i needed to remove some stickers on a guitar a few weeks ago and googled naphtha in my area, you could get it, but most articles said to just use nail polish remover (smaller bottles and cheaper). Worked a treat and smelled good too. But if you already have it, naphtha would be my choice.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
i needed to remove some stickers on a guitar a few weeks ago and googled naphtha in my area, you could get it, but most articles said to just use nail polish remover (smaller bottles and cheaper). Worked a treat and smelled good too. But if you already have it, naphtha would be my choice.
+_________+

Nail polish remover, most of the time, it's acetone, which is a nitro killer.

none2low

Reaction score
Nail Polish remover is acetone and should NOT be used on a nitro finish (unless you are looking to strip it that is) .

MSB

Reaction score
+_________+

Nail polish remover, most of the time, it's acetone, which is a nitro killer.
Nail Polish remover is acetone and should NOT be used on a nitro finish (unless you are looking to strip it that is) .

guess i had a senior moment. It was on an old acoustic, so I didn't do too much research, but I just pulled it out and it still looks fine... guess i dodged a bullet.

none2low

Reaction score
guess i had a senior moment. It was on an old acoustic, so I didn't do too much research, but I just pulled it out and it still looks fine... guess i dodged a bullet.
Happens to the best of us. Senior mome..... wait what were we discussing again?

Reactions: MSB

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
The elewine trick works but its not a simple thing ….

I had to do this to several guitars, because I practiced "filling" dings and what not....its doable, risky and time consuming. But the results are unnoticeable if your do it right ….and buy their products

Wait....not the superglue trick!!

The tape and razorblade ... basiclay size the area and mask / raise the blade edge with tape on either side and scrape off the offending wart slice by slice, When you get to the "bottom" you sand in order using the micro-mesh and buff...

Might take a few.…you might cause a "rub-through" ....which I have done .....thats a whole new problem....

if the nail polish is still soft its already a problem, because its eaten or melted its way down into the surface....complexing the problem further.....

You'll need to remove it ALMOST down to the wood (do not remove any color) and build your surface back up....kep it as small as possible....becuase this will grow, it will start as a tiny thing and wind up being an inch wide.

I did a repair the size of a quarter but that required a lot of time and an airbrush and plenty of color matching....

be careful. or leave it

Last edited:

Zakmichael

Reaction score
I would take it to the best nitro repair guy and get expert work done before trying anything on my own. I have done some successful finish repair, and also had some f-ing nightmares! It can get ugly quick. If the expert can't get it right, it's HM time.